How to set the correct date on Garmin GPS 60

slateman

I have just bought a Garmin GPS 60. The only feature haven't worked out is how to set the current date. I may be just being dumb here :rolleyes: but I have checked every set-up option. The time is set OK to London time.

The default date reads 30 April 28.

Appreciate any help. :laughing: Thanks - Slateman

Let the GPS acquire a signal. When it does it should correct the date and time. If that doesn't work try a hard reset.

Hold down ENTER and the PAGE buttons while powering up. It will ask if you want to do a reset, say yes and let if find the satellites again.

I have just bought a Garmin GPS 60. The only feature haven't worked out is how to set the current date. I may be just being dumb here :rolleyes: but I have checked every set-up option. The time is set OK to London time.

Appreciate any help. :huh: Thanks - Slateman

Let the GPS acquire a signal. When it does it should correct the date and time. If that doesn't work try a hard reset.

Hold down ENTER and the PAGE buttons while powering up. It will ask if you want to do a reset, say yes and let if find the satellites again.

Yep, you want to 'bake' it under an open sky for at least a half hour so it can update the almanac. Yes, that's right.

Tried a hard reset without success. I have had the unit 'baking' in Dubai where I bought it. Everthing works fine except the date. Now back in the UK. I guess the date will reset eventually?

I have just bought a Garmin GPS 60. The only feature haven't worked out is how to set the current date. I may be just being dumb here :) but I have checked every set-up option. The time is set OK to London time.

Appreciate any help. :anicute: Thanks - Slateman

Hmmmm ...

Sounds similar to a problem I had with an eTrex Vista late last year / early this year (the old B&W model, NOT the current HCx) - see this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=177915&hl=

A number of other eTrex Vista users also reported the same problem, but I had not heard of any other models showing the same issue.

My unit was functioning perfectly in every way, except that the system date would go wacky from time to time, and would not reset. The unit would still get a fast fix (which is odd - because you would think it needs an accurate calendar and clock in order to be able to get the current satellite locations from the almanac!) This meant all of my track-logs were corrupted for time and date stamps, although the locations were all spot on. I could not load tracks into MapSource, either, because MapSource recognised that the track-logs must be corrupt because the time and date stamps kept jumping around, so would not import the track-logs at all.

A full "super-master-reset" (which is an even deeper level reset than a "normal" system reset) would fix the problem temporarily (as well as wiping all my data!), but it would get the date scrambled again after a few day's usage.

The vendor replaced it with another unit, but this also showed the same problem after a few days. Garmin are aware of the issue but were never able to provide a permanent fix for the incorrect date problem on the B&W Vista. Because accurate date stamps were important for my work (which included getting track-logs into MapSource, geo-tagging digital photos, etc), in the end I did a deal with my local dealer to replace it with a Summit HC, which is still working perfectly.

My B+W Vista did the same thing...very very odd. Always went to the same date in 2047, got accurate sattelite fixes and led me straight to caches or other previously existing waypoints. Could set the thing out to bake for as long as any amount of batteries would last, didn't matter...resets, didn't matter...super secret resets...didn't matter. Garmin Tech Suppport did give me a program to reset the time called "garmin_timeset" that worked by connecting the Vista to a computer with an internet connection. Never "fixed" the problem, but was better than erasing all the waypoints. Have not been able to find this on the site, maybe some better slueths than I can dig it up :D