Steal own TB from bug hotel?

decline2state

TB motels kill me. I am new at this but they seem to be either prisons or an organized way to kidnap TB's. One of my TB's is in a prison 30 miles from my home. People keep "discovering" it but the hotel has a "one for one" rule so it sits there. I want to steal my TB and set him free.

Have any of you ever done this?

If I do set him free I am going to add one of those laminated tags with a part about o TB motels!

TB motels kill me. I am new at this but they seem to be either prisons or an organized way to kidnap TB's. One of my TB's is in a prison 30 miles from my home. People keep "discovering" it but the hotel has a "one for one" rule so it sits there. I want to steal my TB and set him free.

Have any of you ever done this?

If I do set him free I am going to add one of those laminated tags with a part about o TB motels!

Yep, go get them. While your there take all the other bugs and coins and set them free. I probably wouldn't bother with the similey for the cache since the owner will probably just delete it anyway, but do log all the bugs and coins.

Edited by jholly

Stealing a TB would mean taking it away from caches and keeping it. MOVING a TB from a cache is the PURPOSE of TBs.

No cache owner has the right to say how YOUR TB can travel into or out of their cache. If you want to make the trip to go get it, by all means, pick it up and free any other ones there.

I don't see any sort of trade rule on that cache other than - trade fairly, and your bug has only been Discovered twice since dropped.

You can certainly retrieve your own bug or any other bug you can assist towards its goal.

Furthermore...I would take that to apply to SWAG...they (the owners) are just trying to remind others that if you take some swag, you should leave some swag and try to keep the value relatively even...(of course...I am making an assumption here)...

It has been said before...and most likely will be said again sometime...Travel Bugs are not swag...if you can move one, then move it...if you want to leave one, then go ahead and do it...but leaving a TB is not required in order for someone to pick-up a TB and take it on some travels...

I dislike the one-for-one 'rule' that some people seem to think that they can make up for their travel bug prisons.

I like the friendlier one where you should leave at least 3 bugs in a hotel. But then again hotels are prisons.

What's preventing you from finding any old cache in your area that has a bug, or even a cache you have already found before, just to get a bug to 'trade'?

IMHO taking any travel bug from any cache with the sole purpose of moving it on it's merry way is not stealing. Liberating in some cases but definately not stealing. As long as you don't keep the traveller and put it into another cache you are doing what is needed.

I once went after one of my tb's that was about 60 miles away from my home. The recent posts stated that the cache needed maintenance and the items inside were wet. I took the chance that my TB was at least still in his plastic bag and not drenched. Turns out he was the only thing that was in great shape when I got there. I ended up taking "Bob" back and even cleaned up the cache, put in new log and asked if I could even adopt the cache (owner lives in Mississippi and haven't heard a peep since). Bob is still trouncing around North Carolina somewhere but atleast he's still trouncing.

Long Story Short (too late). Go get your bug...

-HHH :laughing: