"Dipping Geocoins"

dandawnlong

Hello. I'm relatively new to this. I've been seeing alot of logs with people reporting that they visited caches with TB(s) and/or geocoin(s). From what I understand, this means they are dipping the tbs or coins--logging them in and out of the caches and taking them with them. Is this generally thought of as OK? Are these usually their own coins this is practiced with? I'm curious. It seems like it would be inappropriate to, in essence, take someone else's coin or bug with them on all of their cache adventures.

I was considering it would be cool to do that and track all of our miles that we've put into caching, but am wondering how this is generally seen as by seasoned geocachers.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!

It seems like it would be inappropriate to, in essence, take someone else's coin or bug with them on all of their cache adventures.

Not every cache can hold a TB or coin. Many times it's Dipped because the cacher took the traveler along with them and wanted to give it credit for being there.

Perhaps they are intending to release it at a location that helps it better reach its goal, but they are hitting a few other caches along the way.

As long as the holder isn't holding longer than they should, I say let them Dip so owner know what adventures their bug/coin is having. Isn't that the point anyway?

I was considering it would be cool to do that and track all of our miles that we've put into caching, but am wondering how this is generally seen as by seasoned geocachers.

Personal TBs are quite common, but it's a lot of work to keep up with all that logging.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We have one geocoin that we take with us to every cache. It's a neat way to see how far (sort of) you've been traveling. We even dipped it into a virtual cache the other day... we weren't sure that was OK, but I checked the cache's history and there were already more than a dozen coins/TBs logged as having been there! :unsure:

Perfectly fine!

Just so you know, you won't be able to log your TB through EarthCaches or webcam caches. The system blocks it.

For everything else - have at it.

Edited by BlueDeuce

We dipped for the first time a few weeks ago... a virtual... at the summit of Pikes Peak! I didn't know at the time if it was ok either but I wanted the owners to know that their trackables were at the summit. I had planned to put them in an actual cache near the top but was too sick to hike to the cache for the drop. I hope the owners were tickled to see THAT log email.

I picked up a half dozen or so coins and travel bugs before going on deployment to the Mediteranean. We went to Spain, Turkey, Italy, France, Greece, Israel and Slovenia. I dropped the travelers off towards the end of my trip so that they could continue on their journeys. I posted pictures from different caches in the places we visited. I haven't heard any complaints from any of the owners.