"Dipping" TBs

dandawnlong

Hello. I'm relatively new to this. I've been seeing alot of logs with people reporting that they visited caches with TB(s) and/or geocoin(s). From what I understand, this means they are dipping the tbs or coins--loging them in and out of the caches and taking them with them. Is this generally thought of as OK? Are these usually their own tbs this is practiced with? I'm curious. It seems like it would be inappropriate to, in essence, take someone else's coin or bug with them on all of their cache adventures.

I was considering it would be cool to do that and track all of our miles that we've put into caching, but am wondering how this is generally seen as by seasoned geocachers.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!

I think that it is "ok" to dip a travel bug as long as it is physically dipped, and not virtually logged.

Some do this to help a travel bug complete a journey. Say the bug wanted to go to Florida and while you are in Florida the only cache you were able to find was a micro and it wouldn't fit. Then i believe it would be ok to "dip" a tb as long as it is actually dipped and not virtually logged.

As far a personal tb's or Coins go many cachers have a personal coins of tb that they "dip" into every cache that they visit, or there absolute favorites.

Virtually logging will get your tb or coin locked.

A few months after I started caching, I bought a "personal" TB and I log it through every cache. Of course when I got it, I already had some finds behind me, so I dipped it after the fact, but dated the logs on the dates I'd actually made the finds. I can't recall if I deleted my logs or not... but I wrote them as "notes" not "found it" for the TB dip. Hope that's clear...

So if you decide to do that, when you re-log a cache you found just to dip the bug, use the "write note" feature, not the "found it" feature.

Hope that helps.

JennM (logging personal TB through!)

I've just been "post-dipping" my TB in caches I've already visited to track my own mileage - I used the "write note" feature and each note was dated with the date on which I actually found that cache. I guess that my TB has now been locked - does anyone know how I can unlock it again? Thank you!

I don't see that your bug is locked.

You would normally have your bug locked for virtual logging, that is - logged through caches you never visited or logged by people that never actually saw/found your bug.

If that was the case, as I understand, agreeing to remove those types of logs would allow you to have it unlocked.

However, that doesn't seem to be an issue for you. You should be good to go.