How do I perform a hard reset

Jedi Cacher

I have had my Vista HCX for about 6 months now and really like this unit. Since then I have never had any problems with it, until today. I can't get any satellites to lock at all and can't figure out what to do. I am assuming that I may need to do a hard reset to get a satellite lock. Hoping I can get my unit to work tonight as I wanted to bring it along on a hike with the scouts tommorow. I am welcome to any suggestions that will help fix this problem. Thanks ;)

I was just wondering this same thing earlier today, looks like you hold the PAGE-ENTER-POWERON buttons at the same time. That's the 2 buttons on the right plus holding the stick straight down. If you do it right, it will pop up a window saying "Do you really want to erase all user data? YES NO" I haven't actually performed the hard reset on mine yet, because I don't feel like reentering ALL my caches and waypoints and stuff. But I'll see if my recent upgrade/downgrade works well (went from 2.6/2.6 to 2.7/2.3).

On a side note, can anyone tell me how you see what your firmware version is? I know how to see that I have software version 2.7 installed, but I want to double-check that I actually did do the firmware downgrade to 2.3 like I wanted to do.

On a side note, can anyone tell me how you see what your firmware version is?

Main Menu > Setup > System Setup and, at that page, press the menu key. One of the options on the menu for that page is "software version". That option will display both the software and chipset versions.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I did it right, I'm rocking 2.70/2.30, hearing it's a good combo! Going for a bike ride today, guess I'll get a chance to try it out in several different conditions and see how well it works.

Been doing some research on this subject through Garmin and followed the procedure for acquiring a satellite fix on the Vista HCX. They recommend going to the satellite page, then menu, select new location, then select automatic and leave it motionless for 20 minutes under an open sky. I tried this and it still doesn't work. The main problem I see with the satellite screen is that it doesn't even show any satellites on it what so ever. So if it is not even showing the satellites, how am I supposed to even get a fix. Looks like I will have to contact Garmin on Monday unless somebody out there might have another solution. Sure would have liked to have my unit with me this morning on the scout hike and GPS and compass course. Still had fun though on the 70th anniversary Mt.Rushmore pilgrimage hike.

I was just wondering this same thing earlier today, looks like you hold the PAGE-ENTER-POWERON buttons at the same time. That's the 2 buttons on the right plus holding the stick straight down. If you do it right, it will pop up a window saying "Do you really want to erase all user data? YES NO" I haven't actually performed the hard reset on mine yet, because I don't feel like reentering ALL my caches and waypoints and stuff. But I'll see if my recent upgrade/downgrade works well (went from 2.6/2.6 to 2.7/2.3).

On a side note, can anyone tell me how you see what your firmware version is? I know how to see that I have software version 2.7 installed, but I want to double-check that I actually did do the firmware downgrade to 2.3 like I wanted to do.

Howdy......

I have tried this several times with NO success.

What am I doing wrong????

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :rolleyes:

First - you do the hard reset w/ the unit off. Next, make sure that the enter "stick" remains centered while pushing the other two buttons - that is the tough part of this procedure. It may help to have someone hold the unit steady on a table while you push the buttons.

For the info, click the setup icon on the menu screen. Select the system icon. Push the menu button on the left of the unit. Scroll down to software version and press the enter button.

Howdy......

First - you do the hard reset w/ the unit off. Next, make sure that the enter "stick" remains centered while pushing the other two buttons - that is the tough part of this procedure. It may help to have someone hold the unit steady on a table while you push the buttons.

For the info, click the setup icon on the menu screen. Select the system icon. Push the menu button on the left of the unit. Scroll down to software version and press the enter button.

Howdy......

I tried it that way before and it didn't work.....

BUT IT DID THIS TIME....THANKX!

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :laughing:

Howdy......