Best cheaper paperless gps

stiggycj

I am new to geocaching, only been at it for a week. I'm hooked and love it but here is my problem. I'm using my Nuvi 200 right now. This unit is working ok for me but the batter life is quite short. Also it isn't paperless so i either have 100 pieces of paper in the car or I upload it to my palm phone. My question is what is a good cheaper paperless gps unit. I realize this is quite the open ended question but I'm looking for any advice I can get.

Take a look at the refurb Delorme PN-20s at TigerGPS. They're a great deal because the $170 price include TopoUSA map software. They're a little slow on screen redraws in some situations, but work very well for hiking. They have an 800-character limit for waypoint comments, which accommodates all but the longest cache descriptions (and Delorme intends to remove the limit in a future firmware upgrade).

They aren't that good for street routing--fine for short geocaching autorouting but not in urban or long-distance routing. However, your Nuvi has you covered there.

Here is a link to the Delorme PN-20 product page. It will show more of the features than the TigerGPS page.

Take a look at the refurb Delorme PN-20s at TigerGPS. They're a great deal because the $170 price include TopoUSA map software. They're a little slow on screen redraws in some situations, but work very well for hiking. They have an 800-character limit for waypoint comments, which accommodates all but the longest cache descriptions (and Delorme intends to remove the limit in a future firmware upgrade).

They aren't that good for street routing--fine for short geocaching autorouting but not in urban or long-distance routing. However, your Nuvi has you covered there.

Here is a link to the Delorme PN-20 product page. It will show more of the features than the TigerGPS page.

Saw this topic because I'm getting tired of putting all the notes into my PDA before going out, and then fishing out the PDA once I get close tot the cache. Saw this post and couldn't beleive how cheap that bundle was. Thought about it and researched for a couple days, just placed my order for the refurb (anything that was wrong with it is already fixed!) DeLorme PN-20, looking forward to playing with it! Probably going to keep the Legend HCx, too, and use that for the bicycle and motorcycle, and as a spare GPS for when I go out in the feild. Maybe I'll have the wife use one, and we can triangulate onto the cache that way. Anyways, thanks for posting up that link, can't wait to try paperless caching!

..... just placed my order for the refurb (anything that was wrong with it is already fixed!) DeLorme PN-20, .....

I doubt that there was ever anything wrong with it in the first place.

I'm guessing that most of those have been returned for refund for reasons other than they don't work.

I have bought a number of Sandisk Sansa music players for myself and my family that have all been refurbed. They all come in my door looking brand new, except for the "refurb" label, and work just fine.

I appreciate all the replies. I think I will place my order for the refurbished Delorme PN-20. It looks like quite the gps unit for the price. Once again thanks for the replies.

Hey, one more thing, for paperless caching, I download the GPX files for the subject caches. To do so requires the Premium membership. Otherwise, one has to use the LOC files and I'm not sure that one can go paperless with those.

..... just placed my order for the refurb (anything that was wrong with it is already fixed!) DeLorme PN-20, .....

I doubt that there was ever anything wrong with it in the first place.

I'm guessing that most of those have been returned for refund for reasons other than they don't work.

I have bought a number of Sandisk Sansa music players for myself and my family that have all been refurbed. They all come in my door looking brand new, except for the "refurb" label, and work just fine.

Oh, yeah, the "refurb" label doesn't scare me at all, I also have a refurb Sansa MP3 player, a refurb Zune 30, and have bough other refurb'd stuff that worked and looked perfect. I love refurb labeled stuff, actually; it's like buying it brand new, but for a discount!

Just got my PN-20 today, seems like a pretty slick little unit so far. I loaded my PQ into it, got all the topo maps and street maps loaded (I can do turn-by-turn directions, and it cost less than my Legend HCx!), so tomorrow, I'll be going out and giving it a go, really looking forward to the paperless part, going to be so much easier! Like all the reviews I've read, it is very slow at redrawing the maps, but at least I was expecting that. Who knows, if I like this enough, I might put it and my Legend up for sale to buy a PN-40 at some point in the future.