Logging

Zac Young

I began geocaching about a year ago. I got led to it by a friend and going on a few hunts with them successfully finding some caches. Even though I didn't sign the logbook, is it still possible to log on geocaching.com?

Heck ya! I would. Just explain the situation to the owner, maybe give them a description of the hide. Have your friend vouch for you if necessary.

Of course it depends on how much effort you want to put into it the validation.*

*I am big on only claiming finds when I sign the logbook. That does not extend to previous non-members who did find the cache but simple choose not to sign the logbook, at that time.

I would log it. Just say on the log that you found the cache with XXX, who's sig is in the log book. Most CO's won't have a problem with that, I know I wouldn't. We set up an account for my son and went back and logged all the finds he found with us before he had and account. His sig wasn't in the log book, but we simply stated he found the cache with us.

It's how you want to do it. There is one cacher on GC.com who caches all the time and may sign the logbook but doesn't log them online. So what would be the harm in what you are going to do? I like the idea of explaining that you were with XXX cacher that was mentioned above. I don't think the CO would have a problem with that either.

I say go for it. As others have said, just note in your log that you were with "cacher x" and backdate your logs when you were there (so you don't make it look like you found it yesterday).

While YOUR name may not be in the logbook, you were there, you found the cache, and for those days, your friend's caching nick was a "team" name that included you, so in my opinion, you signed the log.

I began geocaching about a year ago. I got led to it by a friend and going on a few hunts with them successfully finding some caches. Even though I didn't sign the logbook, is it still possible to log on geocaching.com?

I think you are asking the wrong people. If I were you, I would drop a note to the owners of the caches you had found and ask them how they felt about you logging.

If you had found one of my caches as a newbe while caching with another who had logged the find, I would encourage you to log the find with the appropriate date and welcome you to this fun and addicting adventure game!

While YOUR name may not be in the logbook, you were there, you found the cache, and for those days, your friend's caching nick was a "team" name that included you, so in my opinion, you signed the log.

I've seen this plenty of times:

Found as part of Team Smarmy. I am no longer a part of that team and I'm re-logging all the caches I found with them under my new name, Respectful Cacher.

OR

Found as Team Barf-bag. We have changed our name to Team Bedpan and are re-logging all our old finds.

In either case, the 'Team' writing the log has no sig in the physical log.

I don't let it bother me, except when the old log for the abandoned team name gets left on the cache page...

"

before i had the account i was walking with <inserthighnumbercachername> but i didnt sign the log.

now that i have an account can i log them afterall?

"

know what i mean

how many caches we talking about here? and how far are they from you?

how unlikely is it that you will never ever be in that area?

pop by and log them for real. call it training.

:unsure:

Signing the logbook is essential to claiming a find.

Not signing the logbook equals no find.

Some cachers believe signing the logbook is essential to claiming a find. Not signing the logbook equals no find. Some cache owners use this rule to determine whether an online log claiming a find is legitimate and will check the log book in the cache to confirm you found the cache. Many of those owners will make some an exception if you let them know the situation and why your name is not in the physical log book. Cache owners who never make exceptions may be referred to as puritans.

IMO, the OP found the caches and should log them. But the OP should be aware that some of the caches may be owned by puritans and they could delete his log. Per Geocaching.com guidelines the puritan cache owner has the right to delete the logs.

IMO, geocaching consists of going out a finding geocaches and having fun. The following steps are optional (even though the Geocaching.com FAQ says they are the "rules of Geoaching") and they can be done independently

1. If you take something from the cache, leave something of equal or greater value.

2. Write about your find in the cache logbook.

3. Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

Edited by tozainamboku

I use online logging to help me keep track of which caches I've vistited and found, and which ones I've not visited, or not found.

If you were there for the finding and opening of the cache, and you want to record for yourself that you were there with (whoever) I see no problems with that. Make sure to date the log properly and write that you found it with them, and you should be fine.

Since it was a while ago, all the excuses the geocache police normally try to use to tell you you can't do it don't even apply, so they'll have to come up with new ones. :unsure:

I'd log them as finds. My log would read something like:

"Found with XXXXX who was introducing me to the game. I am just now getting into it, so am logging the old finds.

Thanks for the addiction."

As a cache owner, I would accept you logging it as 'found'

I might want a little bit of verification, but I'd contact you and we'd talk about it - I doubt I'd have any problem with letting the find stand.

It's possible that someday I'll be introducing somebody to the game, and later they'll claim a find under their new name as a Taoisigh, and I'd hope it gets accepted

As a cache finder, I would go back and sign the log (however, If any of them were archived, I would contact the owner and then log a find or a note based on that conversation)

For my own logs, signing the physical logbook is an integral part of claiming a find. As such, if I can't sign the log, for whatever reason, the cache gets a note or a DNF, depending on the circumstances. I do not apply this standard, (which I recognize to be extremely rigid), to my own caches though. If I were to see something to the effect of,

I found this cache with BillyBobNosePicker back in may of 2007, as he was introducing me to the game. It took a little while, but the addiction finally caught up with me and I'm logging these old finds. Thanx for the hide!

it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Log em! :unsure:

LOL, so anyone emailing you with this situation can just log a find?

your name not in my cache logbook = no find, or a clear photograph.

he should have written your name in the book as well, you were there.

or if he mentioned you in his online log, and not edit it in today.

When I have people joining me on a find I'll put their names in the logbook or online log or if its a larger group : at least a &Co.

But from now on, i will put their name everytime.

this cacher you were with, long time player? is he going to vouch for you on every claimed cache?

again, how many we talking about and how much time would it take to do them again? if there are multis you can walk straight to the cache.

i guess askinghere first is a +1 regarding your sencerity.

LOL, so anyone emailing you with this situation can just log a find?

For me, it comes down to whether or not I believe the person who sent the E-mail. In the described scenario, it would be a simple matter to verify their claim, and as such, I would have no reason to doubt their veracity. If you are not that trusting, that's fine. But in this case, we're talking about my caches, not yours. :rolleyes:

I checked a logbook against the online logs, and found several instances of one physical log, two online logs. Usually the physical log mentions finding the cache "with friend Friend1" or "with some friends" or is signed as "Team ABC", so the second online log has some "proof" in the physical logbook, and I consider it a valid find.

If the physical and the online log of Cacher1 doesn't mention finding the cache with Friend1, and some time later Friend1 logs online as finding together with Cacher1, I would be bothered as a cache owner. I would be bothered more if I'm Cacher1, for not being consulted, as I would have altered my online log to mention my friend.

So my view on this situation: you could talk with your caching friend to mention you in his online log, and then log your find, writing some words about why you log it so late.

he should have written your name in the book as well, you were there.

or if he mentioned you in his online log, and not edit it in today.

It doesn't bother me even if he edits his online log today.

My position is that, in this situation, I will trust that the person is being honest and allow the logs. I realize that this position gives me a slightly higher chance of having a few bogus logs on my caches, but I don't really care.

These older logs certainly are doing no harm to anyone, whether they are truthful or not.

The bottom line, I guess, is that I prefer to live in a world where I assume that people are truthful in something this benign rather than to assume that they are lying. The end result is that I have less stress in my life.

Awhile after we started caching regularly, my son asked if he could have his own name so that he could track of his finds. Up until that point (and even for awhile afterward), we had gone to every cache as a family and used one name for all of us. My son was in on the search and probably found half the caches before the adults even got there.

We had one person ask that he sign the log next time he's in the area and another person delete a log out right because he hadn't signed in with his caching name. We went back to both, signed in and all was good.