always on the road, without internet

mailking

Hello, we are more than 5 years on the road now, and recently discovered Geocaching. We are currently in Paraguay and I donwloaded all the caches of Paraguay, Argentina, Chili and Bolivia into my Mac.

Now and then I have a look at the Garmin Roadtrip and see if there are any Geocaches in the neighborhood.

What I am looking for, is a way that the Geocaches also contain the discription, because now, everytime I see a Geocache near where we are, I still have to find an internetshop to load the discription....

Is there a way to download all the information so that I can work totally offline?

Coen

www.landcruising.nl

You can create GPX files that store all the information like that (hints, short.log description, and last 5 logs). This is only available to Premium Members. Then you can view them offline with GSAK of Easy GPS like program. Or if you have a PDA you can get GPX Sonar/GPX View/ Cache Mate to view them even sooner when hunting.

Premium members can download what are called "Pocket Queries". You can set up a search by country, location, type, difficulty, whatever, then have the results emailed to you as a GPX file. This file contains the full cache info including location, description, and last 5 logs. You could then load this file into GSAK or any of a wide variety of programs on your PC.

Just noticed you mentioned a Mac. Maccaching is a Mac cache-manager program. The page I linked might still be useful.

Okay, so things got more clear with these lasts posts. The way to go is Premium then... Hmmm. Just that we don't use Geocaching that much, and with 5 years on the road, no real income 30 US is not just peanuts to us. I have to think about that one...

Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction, even if it isn't what I hoped for.

Coen

www.landcruising.nl

How about getting a laptop with a WiFi connection and going to any spot that has a signal. That's 'free' and sometimes legal as in the case of Panera Breads hotspots and libraries that have a wireless connection for their patrons. My Palm Tungsten PDA can do that if I had as SD I/O card, I'm hunting for one of those right now on EBay.

But for $$$ you could get a cellphone that has a data plan and a phone that has the ability to browse web sites and use that as you would use a computer. The phone can be, but doesn't have to be, a PDA style phone which are big bucks to buy and/or big bucks to sign up for a 2 year data plan.

Hello, we are more than 5 years on the road now, and recently discovered Geocaching. We are currently in Paraguay and I donwloaded all the caches of Paraguay, Argentina, Chili and Bolivia into my Mac.

Now and then I have a look at the Garmin Roadtrip and see if there are any Geocaches in the neighborhood.

What I am looking for, is a way that the Geocaches also contain the discription, because now, everytime I see a Geocache near where we are, I still have to find an internetshop to load the discription....

Is there a way to download all the information so that I can work totally offline?

Coen

www.landcruising.nl

Its called a premium membership. Costs you $30 a year and you get to download .gpx files that contain all the waypoint information. PQ's are limited to 500 caches per, 5 per day. GSAK is a great way to manage the waypoints, I understand it does run on parallels.

Jim

the wifi option we are using currently, but only works in big cities. Often we are on the small back roads for a month or two, without planning this. So really we would be in the neighborhood of some beautiful caches, and I can see the locations in on my map in the MacBook, but I don't have the descriptions.

So I think a Premium option would work, or someone could email me all the caches in South America, and I'm set for a year or two...

This is just thinking out loud. There is no priority in all this, just thinking in advance. Getting to know stuff.

So I think a Premium option would work, or someone could email me all the caches in South America, and I'm set for a year or two...

Yes, ask for people here to break the Groundspeak rules. Nobody will do that for you.

You have to become a premium member yourself, paypal is international.

You will have to run multiple PQ's yourself to get ALL the caches in your country, and neighboring countries if they are close enough.

You will have to put those on your computer and using GSAK have effectively an offline copy of geocaching.com that will not have any new caches listed unless you run YOUR Pocket Queries all the time which apparently will be a problem for you since you are not often near a WiFi connection. But one benefit to being in an underpopulated country, caches are not published dozens per week...

Yes, ask for people here to break the Groundspeak rules. Nobody will do that for you.

You have to become a premium member yourself, paypal is international.

You will have to run multiple PQ's yourself to get ALL the caches in your country, and neighboring countries if they are close enough.

You will have to put those on your computer and using GSAK have effectively an offline copy of geocaching.com that will not have any new caches listed unless you run YOUR Pocket Queries all the time which apparently will be a problem for you since you are not often near a WiFi connection. But one benefit to being in an underpopulated country, caches are not published dozens per week...

]

Really no need for you to jump on him like that, it seems he meant the comment innocently enough.

As far as PMs go. Just get the quarterly one for $10 and build up a huge database of cashes. You'll come across the occasional problem of searching for caches that have been archived - but it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Another idea might be to find groups near where you are that go out together or events that are happening. Then you can tag along with people and cache without having to get all the waypoints yourself.

Edited by StClairC