possible upgrades

ericcole

Well I'm new here. I've gone on several cache hunts with carljr, and had a blast. So I decided to get into geocaching on my own. I have a Garmin GPS 72, and would like to upgrade to a more accurate unit but im trying to avoid high costs. I'll be starting a new job soon, but cash will be tight. any suggestions?

I'm not sure how accurate your current unit is but, given that the coordinates that are posted on the cache pages could be off themselves, usually it is better to look up from your GPSr when you get within 20 or so feet and start thinking "What if I were hiding a cache" rather than look for true GZ. And if you aren't trying to get to the elusive "0 ft." mark then the accuracy of your own GPSr is less critical.

Having said that, accuracy can't hurt so more of it is always a good thing. But I would place good paperless geocaching capabilities over accuracy if you are only looking to do geocaching with the unit. If you plan to get into hiking or other activities then the accuracy starts to matter much more...

I have a Garmin etrex Legend HCx, and I love it, it works great. Color screen, USB connection, high sensitivity receiver, expandable memory, and I found mine online new for $188 shipped.

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?af...amp;item=0181AA

Great little handheld with a small form factor, but nice screen that you can read in daylight, and if you buy the Garmin City Navigator maps, it can also do autorouting navigation. I use mine for geocaching, on my mountainbike, and on my motorcycle.

thanks alot. I'm not looking for the zero foot mark. but i would like to find the 10 or 20 foot mark. my gps 72 is great. easy to use easy to read and it floats..... not gonna tell you how i know that.. but i know that. i would just like something a little more accurate. i can stand in one spot and watch my loctor move around the screen. on a clear day with no tall trees its amazingly accurate, but conditions have to be really good. the gps 72 does have WAAS. but its still not so great when you have clouds or canopy to contend with. I've read several consumer reports, but real world input from people using the units in the field seems to be more accurate. thank you guys for the information.