Caches suggested for archiving

carlstein

How about giving the option of adoption? (I wolud also love to see a list of archived caches. Some of them are probably great caches and a list may get some of them going again. For example. another...Didn't look very hard but I am sure there are lots more....)

I think this falls more into the category of a feature that we'd like to see implemented on the website; one which I have seen suggested before: an active cacher should be allowed to put in a request to adopt a cache whose owner has left the game: could be handled via approval of a moderator after trying to contact the old owner.

In the case of a cache that has actually been archived, it is always possible to just go and set up another cache to replace it. This is not ideal as it brings out the questions of "double-logging", but for now it is the best that can be done.

In terms of the 2 caches you've highlighted, the first one is owned by a still-active cacher, so I guess it would be best to first check with him if he has plans to somehow resurrect the cache before you were to do anything yourself.

I have just been though a similar process on a cache close to our home. (GCQWB6 Twin Peaks).

The owner was not active for a very long time and the cache waypoints have been missing for more that a year.

There is a proper process to follow if you will not replace the cache on his behalf.

1) Try to contact the owner through geocaching.

2) Post a note on the cache.

3) If the cache is un-do able, meaning that you can confirm that the waypoints or the cache is missing, then you can post a "Should be Archived" on the cache. (This will promt the Reviewer)

4) The Reviewer will temporary disable the cache giving the owner options within three months or he will archive the cache;

a Check up on the cache and if not missing delete the notes and enable the cache.

b Archive the cache himself

c Replace the cache

5) In my case; Give the cache up for adoption.

Hope my experience will help.

So, to get the ball rolling: GCNNRM Steeper Please. Owner is inactive. Hasn't been found in years and latest log is a DNF.
This cache is not on my radar as it's only had one DNF. I've seen many caches which have had several convincing DNFs, and are still there. Just this morning I saw one which had 5 successive DNF's, and the owner's just confirmed that it's still there. I've also seen several seemingly inactive cache owners react when necessary. During my monthly maintenance sweep, I'll only take action after 3 DNF's if the cache owner hasn't reacted within 30 days of the 3rd DNF, and then only if there's an obvious change in the log pattern. ie: The cache has been found fairly easily before.

(I wolud also love to see a list of archived caches. Some of them are probably great caches and a list may get some of them going again.
I think the only way that you can see archived caches is by following a link from someone's "caches found" list. As far as I'm aware, there's no way to get a list of archived caches.

Regarding adoptions -

An archived cache cannot be unarchived for adoption - that's a Groundspeak rule. Special permission "might" be given by GS if the cache was archived very recently "by mistake".

An adoption must take place willingly between the old and new owners. Reviewers and/or Groundspeak won't force an adoption if the old owner is unwilling or fails to react to correspondence.

The bottom line is that a cache remains the property of the cache owner, and cannot be taken away (only archived if not maintained). Once archived, a cache is "dead", and the location is available for placement of a new cache. However, the owner of an archived cache may request unarchival if he's replaced it, provided that no new cache has been placed there, and provided that it's not for the purpose of adoption.

So, if you want to adopt a cache, approach the cache owner and ask. If he doesn't respond, or doesn't agree to hand it over for adoption, then adoption won't happen.

If you believe that there is a problem with a cache, log a "Needs Maintenance" (NM) log explaining why you think it's a problem. NM logs do not automatically come to me, nor do I take any specific action if I see one. If there's no response to your NM log within a reasonable time, then you can log a "Needs Archived" log. This does come directly to me, and I'm obliged to look at the cache, and take action if necessary.

4) The Reviewer will might temporary disable the cache giving the owner options within three months or he will archive the cache;
As I said above, I'll take action if I think action's necessary. In this case, it was, and I did.
In my case; Give the cache up for adoption.
A good example of a successful adoption between two willing parties.

Fish Eagle has said it all, but all that I can add that it is important to emphasize the fun aspect of geocaching. A newbie (and an oldie) can get very intimidated by the chat on these forums.

Regarding archiving geocaches: there are several avenues to follow before discussing it in the forums:

1. Offer maintenance help (optional of course, but a very practical solution for quality caches in SA)

2. Email owner/NM log

3. Email reviewer

4. NA log

The forums should be reserved for general non cache-specific issues.

Edited by the pooks

I disagree.

The forums are the only way really to draw people's attention to specific cache issues. For example, I recently published photos from a camera cache and asked for comments on who the photos are of. Putting that on the cache-page is only going to get to those who are "watching" the cache. The forums are the best way to alert people to check something on a specific cache.

Also, in terms of this thread, not everyone posts a DNF. This is, of course, poor practice, but it can often happen by accident... one tends to forget DNF's the minute you've left the cache site (often deliberately; with a lot of muttering under the breath!). If someone posts "this cache looks like it might be dead to me" and I've had a DNF and forgotten to log it, I might be prompted to do so.

Edited by carlstein

I disagree.

The forums are the only way really to draw people's attention to specific cache issues. For example, I recently published photos from a camera cache and asked for comments on who the photos are of. Putting that on the cache-page is only going to get to those who are "watching" the cache. The forums are the best way to alert people to check something on a specific cache.

Also, in terms of this thread, not everyone posts a DNF. This is, of course, poor practice, but it can often happen by accident... one tends to forget DNF's the minute you've left the cache site (often deliberately; with a lot of muttering under the breath!). If someone posts "this cache looks like it might be dead to me" and I've had a DNF and forgotten to log it, I might be prompted to do so.

Carlstein

The reason why I said what I did was based on an extremely heated discussion in the General Forums Needs Maintenance/Needs Archive Without Visiting The Cache. It is not entirely applicable here, but along the same vein. In that thread there were cachers (others call them cache police) who promoted the idea of posting a SBA log without EVER having visited the cache and that created a huge amount of angst in the forums.

The main point is that there are existing structures in place to handle the situation (private emails to cache owner and reviewer, or NM/SBA log). A SBA log is considered quite a harsh statement and should be handled diplomatically. I can see your point on the Table Mountain cache you mention - the owner probably isn't caching anymore so does not know about the situation. But we have a very paraat local reviewer these days who will most definitely attend to the situation.

Your posting the results of the camera cache here is certainly a great idea - I enjoyed the chit chat around it greatly. But that was a positive situation. It's human nature - when praising something tell the whole world, but when calling something into question, go the discreet route.

I don't get it why folks don't post DNF (I don't get the idea there are that many though - the high terrain rating caches are just seldom visited). I have as much to say about a cache whether I find it or not, and enjoy logging my experience either way.

Having said all this - it's not as if I am hard and fast on the topic. I am just posting a thought, but don't take me to task on it.