Colorado Firmware Version 2.7

yogazoo

Available currently only via web-updater

Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.70:

Improved accuracy of altimeter for large altitude changes.

Fixed text writing on top of itself in some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed freeze when loading some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed issues with power off pressure trending.

Added support for downloading geocaches written using Groundspeak v1.1 extentions.

Improved map drawing performance in some situations.

Fixed 3D View not showing detail from supplemental maps.

Fixed waypoint and geocache symbols not updating on the map after being changed.

Fixed issue where the Colorado would temporarily stop responding after a spell search.

Fixed issue with elevation over time plot.

Fixed issue with position format not saving over power cycles.

Fixed issue with display of selected location config field.

As for this versions claims to fix the barometer, I'm beggining the testing process right now.

Edited by yogazoo

Nothing in that list about DRIFT.

I have noticed a trend however. It seems like the issues harped on in these forums (squeeky wheel) is commonly addressed in the next firmware update (grease). I'm just saying, the Barometer issue took off on these forums and look at the fixes. Lets keep up the good work and work on other issues in a similar manner.

I'm assuming of course that they actually fixed the problems.

I'm assuming of course that they actually fixed the problems.

I installed the update about 2 hours ago and then left the unit off until a few minutes ago. It appears to be properly tracking now, but this is just on a 1 hour window.

As a side note, it has not changed the graph of the data which was previously captured, so it appears as though the data might not have been properly recorded prior to this firmware update. I bring this up because at one point there was some conjecture that the problem may be with the displaying of the historic data, not in the recording of the data. My brief test above seems to say that this conjecture might not have been correct.

Edited by GeekBoy.from.Illinois

Available currently only via web-updater

Changes from version 2.60 to version 2.70:

Improved accuracy of altimeter for large altitude changes.

Fixed text writing on top of itself in some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed freeze when loading some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed issues with power off pressure trending.

Added support for downloading geocaches written using Groundspeak v1.1 extentions.

Improved map drawing performance in some situations.

Fixed 3D View not showing detail from supplemental maps.

Fixed waypoint and geocache symbols not updating on the map after being changed.

Fixed issue where the Colorado would temporarily stop responding after a spell search.

Fixed issue with elevation over time plot.

Fixed issue with position format not saving over power cycles.

Fixed issue with display of selected location config field.

As for this versions claims to fix the barometer, I'm beggining the testing process right now.

Thank you Garmin!!! Hopefully everything works as advertised.

Thank you Garmin! We appreciate the fixes for sure. Now, if we can please have you work on:

1) Adding the ability to Average Waypoint coordinates, and

2) Adding a Track Manager (like the Oregon) with options, such as viewing multiple tracks.

Amen brother!!! I'm with you on exactly those two issues. I'm writing a letter to Garmin to ask about those two on Monday.

My Barometer also now works beautifully! Me happy. ;)

Thank you Garmin! We appreciate the fixes for sure. Now, if we can please have you work on:

2) Adding a Track Manager (like the Oregon) with options, such as viewing multiple tracks.

Amen brother!!! I'm with you on exactly those two issues. I'm writing a letter to Garmin to ask about those two on Monday.

My Barometer also now works beautifully! Me happy. :)

Wile your at it:

3) More user-friendly text entry

Yeah, I keep going on about it every chance I get. The rotary phone style text wheel really bothers me. :unsure:

Wile your at it:

Yeah, I keep going on about it every chance I get. The rotary phone style text wheel really bothers me. :unsure:

How else would you enter text other than how it's done?

Wile your at it:

My idea is to display the alphabet on the screen and be able to use the arrow keys inside the rocker to select a letter. One of the gray buttons could be used to toggle between alpha, numeric, and special characters.

I was getting that sporadically prior to the upgrade.

I have noticed a potential problem. Since the update, my unit is freezing on startup about 25% of the time. I then need to remove the batteries and restart to fix the problem. Is anyone else experiencing these sporadic freezes on startup?

I was also getting it before, but it hasn't happened with my new rma'd unit, and new software.

I was getting that sporadically prior to the upgrade.

I have noticed a potential problem. Since the update, my unit is freezing on startup about 25% of the time. I then need to remove the batteries and restart to fix the problem. Is anyone else experiencing these sporadic freezes on startup?

I was also getting it before, but it hasn't happened with my new rma'd unit, and new software.

I was getting as well from time to time. Anyone finding under 2.60 the Colorado just turns off when the batteries are flat without warning?

I had two suggestions in previous threads. First is to use a 60c-style text grid, using the joystick function of the roller wheel to move up-down-left-right to select a letter, the center button to enter, and the roller to scroll left and right within the string being edited. Second was to break the uppercase, lowercase, and numbers/characters into three separate wheels, and use up/down on the joystick to switch between them. Somebody even posted a mockup screenshot of this somewhere.

My Barometer also now works beautifully! Me happy. :rolleyes:

Wile your at it:

4) Improving the image viewer for geocaching

For me, it would be also very useful to add the possibility to have the name of the pictures displayed and/or to be able to navigate through directories when using the image viewer.

If you just put the spoiler and other needed pictures in a subdirectory called GCxxxxx for each cache (using spoiler sync for instance), you could then on the spot look at the pictures corresponding to the cache you are searching.

I don’t now if either feature is easy to implement, but this would be a good addition to the geocaching abilities of the Colorado. Is there some Garmin people hearing me out there?

Edited by Blue Gator

My Barometer also now works beautifully! Me happy. :laughing:

Wile your at it:

Yeah, I keep going on about it every chance I get. The rotary phone style text wheel really bothers me. :rolleyes:

Average waypoints would really help.

For the text entry, How about just a better way to switch between upper case, lower case, numbers, etc.

Like maybe using the up and down fuction on the wheel to switch between them.

I just RMA'd my CO last week and was using my old 60C yesterday and what a pain that was inputting data the old way!! Between the two think I like the CO way better.

Too little, too late, in my opinion. Not one of my complaints have been addressed, nor have most of the complaints that I've heard in this forum. I returned my CO on Sunday for a 60CSx. I looked at the Oregon, and while the touch screen is a huge improvement over the wheel, there are still many of the same issues.

2.7 comments:

-Tested the barometer and it does work! Will post pictures later, but trends similar to previous postings in this thread. Tested over 12 hour period.

-Colorado does seem to boot up faster.

-Noticed an improved accruacy error number while indoors.

-This has occured with previous revisions, but I do get a quick "low battery" popup while using freshly charged rechargeable batteries after 5 minutes of use or so.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this unit now. I don't seem to get the drifting issues that others have experienced. Text entry UI is still a little quirky on functionality, which hopefully can be improved over time.

yes backlight needs to be adjusted to the specific situation. Pretty quick click, set, close.

Regarding the occasional lockup when booting the unit up...is it possible it is due to not depressing the on/off button long enough? Mine has locked up twice and I associate it w/ not fully depressing the button for a sufficient enough time...is that possible?

2.7 comments:

-Tested the barometer and it does work! Will post pictures later, but trends similar to previous postings in this thread. Tested over 12 hour period.

I am not so sure that this is fixed. It is definitely better than before, but yesterday I noticed a couple items which I need to research. First off, when my scale was set to the 45 minute resolution, I still had a "trend to zero" for the period immediately prior to turning it back on. When the time scale was adjusted up to 1 hour the trend changed to something that looked realistic, but I still saw something out of the ordinary. I was having thundershowers (thank you Ike) and I noticed that when I turned the GPSr on after an overnight of being off, I had a "spike" of a 4-5 millibar increase in pressure that dropped back down over the next 15-30 minutes. I saw this same type of "spike" several hours later after I had power cycled my GPSr, but not near as major a change in pressure.

I am also starting to have my serious doubts about the data being recorded/displayed. In my readings yesterday, I was seeing readings in the 1003-1012 millibar range, yet today when I scroll back to that same time frame, I am seeing values in the 998 millibar range with no "spikes" as I saw yesterday. THis seems as though it requires a bit more methodical examination.

just installed and all is well other than the darn backlight. They really need to fix that so it stays the way you had it previously. I can't stand having to adjust it every time i turn it on. Though, power on cycle is incredibly fast now!

But, for sake of arguing, what if you want different levels for different applications? Inside, vs. outside? New Battery vs. old battery? Is it that big of a deal to power up, quick click, slide it over to desired level, click back and your done?

just installed and all is well other than the darn backlight. They really need to fix that so it stays the way you had it previously. I can't stand having to adjust it every time i turn it on. Though, power on cycle is incredibly fast now!

But, for sake of arguing, what if you want different levels for different applications? Inside, vs. outside? New Battery vs. old battery? Is it that big of a deal to power up, quick click, slide it over to desired level, click back and your done?

Just annoying more than anything. Every other unit I have had powered on to the desired level and stayed there. Just one of those little annoyances.

2.7 comments:

I am not so sure that this is fixed. It is definitely better than before, but yesterday I noticed a couple items which I need to research. First off, when my scale was set to the 45 minute resolution, I still had a "trend to zero" for the period immediately prior to turning it back on. When the time scale was adjusted up to 1 hour the trend changed to something that looked realistic, but I still saw something out of the ordinary. I was having thundershowers (thank you Ike) and I noticed that when I turned the GPSr on after an overnight of being off, I had a "spike" of a 4-5 millibar increase in pressure that dropped back down over the next 15-30 minutes. I saw this same type of "spike" several hours later after I had power cycled my GPSr, but not near as major a change in pressure.

I am also starting to have my serious doubts about the data being recorded/displayed. In my readings yesterday, I was seeing readings in the 1003-1012 millibar range, yet today when I scroll back to that same time frame, I am seeing values in the 998 millibar range with no "spikes" as I saw yesterday. THis seems as though it requires a bit more methodical examination.

Hmmm...did you ever do a hard reset after upgrading? I noticed one quirk with the barometer trending after power up following the upgrade to 2.7 when I first started testing. When I opened the barmometer screen after having it on for 15-20 minutes, you could see the plots correctly, but then all of sudden like a half second later, they "smoothed out" with a straight line between plots just like pre-2.7. Doing a master reset seemed to fix the problem and re-caliberation of current pressure. You might still have some old data that needs to be cleared out.

Edited by ryguyMN

Somehow I think this is by design and I wish Garmin would reconsider. The user should be able to dictate how much backlight to start with, not the manufacturer. Next to text entry, this is really the only other nuisance I have with this unit, otherwise it operates great.

Edited by ryguyMN

yes backlight needs to be adjusted to the specific situation. Pretty quick click, set, close.

Regarding the occasional lockup when booting the unit up...is it possible it is due to not depressing the on/off button long enough? Mine has locked up twice and I associate it w/ not fully depressing the button for a sufficient enough time...is that possible?

I've had this happen a couple times. Now I train myself to hold the power button down until I see the Garmin logo appear.

Edited by ryguyMN

ok. Then it's not just me. The instructions do state to hold the button down for 5 or more seconds. I bet a shorter time frame causes an incomplete boot and is the source of people's lock ups.

The unit should either start or not, never freeze requiring a reset or battery pull. I never observed that type of behavior with mine (still waiting to get my RMA'ed unit back).

GO$Rs

ok. Then it's not just me. The instructions do state to hold the button down for 5 or more seconds. I bet a shorter time frame causes an incomplete boot and is the source of people's lock ups.

I had the same problem with 2.6 or before software. I hope the new version (2.7) fixed it.

Daniel

Just annoying more than anything. Every other unit I have had powered on to the desired level and stayed there. Just one of those little annoyances.

I prefer the current behavior, as the conditions when I shut it off are almost always different than when I turn it back on. I like that it defaults to the best battery conservation by default. If they add the ability to save the backlight setting, I hope they will still allow this behavior as well.

--Marky

I found a Wherigo cartridge that does waypoint averaging, yesterday. Kinda cool. The accuracy is in meters, but it will do the job.

http://www.Wherigo.com/cartridge/details.a...6d-b16f48b79597

The cartridge is a play anywhere and is named Build your own GPSr.

John

The accuracy is in meters, but it will do the job.

Since the majority of the world uses metres (sic) I chose to make this the default. At present you can change this to feet by projecting a waypoint and selecting the "feet" option from there - not entirely obvious I grant you.

I might enhance the cartridge to provide a setup facility as well to enable you to select your preferences. Obviously metres/feet is one that would be of interest - what other preferences would people find most useful?

It would be nice if I could figure out how to get the preferences from the host GPS itself but that is probably device dependent and therefore not practical.

The accuracy is in meters, but it will do the job.

Since the majority of the world uses metres (sic) I chose to make this the default. At present you can change this to feet by projecting a waypoint and selecting the "feet" option from there - not entirely obvious I grant you.

I might enhance the cartridge to provide a setup facility as well to enable you to select your preferences. Obviously metres/feet is one that would be of interest - what other preferences would people find most useful?

It would be nice if I could figure out how to get the preferences from the host GPS itself but that is probably device dependent and therefore not practical.

Geofellas,

Nah, leave it the way it is. You're right, the majority of the world uses metres (or meters, as Americans like to spell it). Considering that even the British themselves have largely switched away from "English" units, yet Americans stubbornly still cling to this archaic system, I think you should "force" Americans to adapt! :)

Besides, meters are almost the same as yards, which Americans are comfortable with.

BTW, lest I be accused of being an "America basher", I am an American (just one who is embarrassed that we haven't gone metric like most of the world).

George

P.S. Geofellas -- Nice bit of "thinking outside the box" on your clever Wherigo solution! As a software engineer, I wish I would have thought of that... :anicute:

Has this version reduced the maximum input string length in a Wherigo?

When I originally wrote my Build your own GPSr I tested it on version 2.6 and was able to enter a string like

N55 22.222 W079 33.000

But now I have upgraded to version 2.7 I can't enter more than

N55 22.222 W079 33

Has anyone else noticed a change in the maximum length input string in a Wherigo cartridge with this update?

I'm clearly going to have to change my cartrdge logic.

Has anyone experienced a major DRIFT with the 2.7 firmware? I was out in some pretty challenging conditions last weekend (narrow valleys, heavy tree cover) and had some rather decent tracks.

As for future fixes and additions, I'll go ahead and predict we won't have another update for quite awhile. I'll guess mid to late November. Perhaps they'll get the features such as waypoint averaging and track management worked in before the PN-40 release. I'm telling you the PN-40 seems to have all of those handy features most of us miss. Garmin, are you listening?

Edited by yogazoo

I just received my new CO back from Garmin (RMA'ed because of the location drift issue). I upgraded to 2.7 and ran it against the OR this morning and the GPS was right on this morning (slightly better than the OR actually). With my old CO I would usually see the error in about a week's worth of tests like this, we'll see if it shows up again or not with 2.7 in the new unit.

Serial number on this one is 18Z035xxx.

I can't believe how much better the RnR feels compared to the old one.

GO$Rs