Has a geocache ever ruined your possibility for an EarthCache

BiT

Has a geocache ever ruined your possibility for an EarthCache?

I found two neat locations and started my research to contact the the landowners for permission and come to find out that there was quite a stir in the local area a few years back (circa end of 2005-2006) when a large camouflaged ammo box was found at one of the locations. The stir involved the local sheriff and fire department coming to the scene to dispose of the ammo box. It seems the the geocache owner did not have permission from the landowner. Then one snowy afternoon the landowner was out walking his property and notices a lot of human footprint crossing his land. He follows them to the site and only to notice they stop at an ammo box that was uncover and sticking out of the snow. He didn't know what it was only that it was of "military" nature and he left it alone and called the authorities.

Now back to 2008 and needles to say, permission was NOT granted. The trespassing, the "bomb" like ammo box, and whole idea of leading more people to the area was the last straw. The landowner hopes to never see an ammo box, a geocache or geocacher on his property again.

I found two neat locations and started my research to contact the the landowners for permission and come to find out that there was quite a stir in the local area a few years back (circa end of 2005-2006) when a large camouflaged ammo box was found at one of the locations. The stir involved the local sheriff and fire department coming to the scene to dispose of the ammo box. It seems the the geocache owner did not have permission from the landowner. Then one snowy afternoon the landowner was out walking his property and notices a lot of human footprint crossing his land. He follows them to the site and only to notice they stop at an ammo box that was uncover and sticking out of the snow. He didn't know what it was only that it was of "military" nature and he left it alone and called the authorities.

Now back to 2008 and needles to say, permission was NOT granted. The trespassing, the "bomb" like ammo box, and whole idea of leading more people to the area was the last straw. The landowner hopes to never see an ammo box, a geocache or geocacher on his property again.

It sounds like there is no permission to have been there to find the EarthCache location to begin with. Given the owners feelings I'd hope they do the right thing and post the land lest others thing that it's open for access in accordance with generally accepted rules on when and where to ask permission to be on land.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

I haven't had an EC placement ruined because of a geocache, but Geoaware asked me that I contact an owner of an existing geocache to get permission to place an earthcache with in .1 miles of it. I was happy to oblige and the other owner was cool with it.

It sounds like there is no permission to have been there to find the EarthCache location to begin with.

Ahhhh, that was done from my desk!

Good point. I once set out to find the Big lost river sink. The point where the river goes underground (it ultimately comes out at the Thousand Springs). My first stop was a topo map. My second stop was all posted private property and my hunt was thwarted.

i have had a situation like that, but i have asked the owner of the nearby cache and she gave me permission for my earthcache.

now i have another problem. have found a place for a wonderful earthcache but there is a cache near the location for about 4 years. the owner is'n t more active and a needs maintenance for this cache has shown no action by our local reviewers,

it's a wonderful and important place for an earthcache, but i dont want to put it online till there is this other cache nearby....:rolleyes:

the owner is'n t more active and a needs maintenance for this cache has shown no action by our local reviewers

The Local Reviewer will not get any notification for a Needs Maintenance log type, so unless they go out searching for those log types via a PQ or something similar, they will unlikely ever know about it.

If you want to get the Local Reviewers attention on a neglected cache, you'll need to post a "Should Be Archived" log. Your Local Reviewer should get an email notification, and can decide on the appropriate action.