‘Puzzle Cache’ Container

WatchDog2020

There are puzzle locks. Looks similar to a padlock, but you have to figure out a way to get it open.

Puzzle boxes are another way. Kind of expensive, but find one that will just fit inside an ammo can for protection and the rest of the contents is inside the puzzle box.

Lock a container with a key padlock and attach the key to the other end with some sort of mechanical puzzle. They have to remove the key to open the lock. Maintenance issue of them returning the key, though. Plus, finding the right puzzle that allows it to have a key attached and still be able to work the puzzle.

The old cache-up-a-tree-find-the-string cache could be used. The twist is the puzzle of releasing the string. Or, maybe several decoy strings? Maybe a puzzle in where you have to release only certain strings to lower the cache. Logistics? That's up to you. Not really what you were asking for, though.

The biggest thing is whatever you come up with needs to be difficult to open, but trivial to close.

There are puzzle locks. Looks similar to a padlock, but you have to figure out a way to get it open.

Puzzle boxes are another way. Kind of expensive, but find one that will just fit inside an ammo can for protection and the rest of the contents is inside the puzzle box.

I've tried both of these ideas over the years with little success. People tend to break them or use tools to open them. My lastest trick lock cache was dismanted by the first finder. :blink: Sigh.

To the OP - have some friends try out your cryptex device before putting it out in the wild for stress testing. You might also make another one when you have time since it will be broken somehow, no matter how idiot proof you make it.

I put the Cryptex out in July and have 17 finds. The once wonderful paint job is chipped to high heck and one of the end retaining rings just got broke. It's still opperational and just needs a little TLC. For the life of me I can't figure out why the thing looks like it went through a war. I made it out of sch40 PVC.

I'm leaning to do my next one out of 1/4 inch steel plate. I have an idea but am Just looking for some neat ideas people may have or have seen. For ideas, not to copy them.

CoyoteRed - You hit it on the head - easy easy easy to re-set / close.

Edited by WatchDog2020

Does anyone know any caches that are easy to find but the challenge is how to open the cache container.

We have one, although when you find it it's not immediately obvious that opening it will be a challenge. It started out as a standard ammo can, and still looks like one. But the top has been welded shut, and there's a "secret panel" in the bottom.

If you read the cache page and the logs before finding it, it's not that difficult. It can be more frustrating if you just plug in the coordinates and go for it "blind".

But, since it can be (and has been) found/opened/signed without any additional information other than the coordinates, it's not listed as a puzzle cache.

Does anyone know any caches that are easy to find but the challenge is how to open the cache container.

We have one, although when you find it it's not immediately obvious that opening it will be a challenge. It started out as a standard ammo can, and still looks like one. But the top has been welded shut, and there's a "secret panel" in the bottom.

If you read the cache page and the logs before finding it, it's not that difficult. It can be more frustrating if you just plug in the coordinates and go for it "blind".

But, since it can be (and has been) found/opened/signed without any additional information other than the coordinates, it's not listed as a puzzle cache.

I loved the 'hammer' log for the cache. So if everything you need to open the cache is located directly on the cache (like tilting a certain direction) - I can list it a regular and not a ? cache. Even if there is no visiable way to open it.

Edited by WatchDog2020