Cache Wall Map!

command Z

Hi Fellow Cachers,

I have found quite a few caches around the Washington, DC area. I wanted to make a map that I could have Kinkos print out at a large size, featuring a red dot at each cache find site.

The real question is, are there any programs that I could type all the coordinates into and it could output a map with all the cache locations marked?

The final printed size might be 20" x 20", 120lb. paper, matte finish.

I tried google maps but it only seems like you can create routes but not add specific points.

Thanks! And hopefully you'll find the booty!!!

I requested a pocket query of "All finds" in geocaching.com/my

I checked my email for the zip file, then downloaded it to my computer.

Using Geocaching Swiss Army Knife, I opened the zip file.

I exported the file as a National Geographic Topo "TPG" file.

I opened the file, then copied the map/ waypoints onto the clipboard.

I opened this file in Photoshop CS2, and came up with this.

Total time manual entering waypoints 0.

This map is several months old, but you get the general idea.

th_All-finds.jpg

At this point, you could install and run the macro found at the bottom of this page: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry33473

The most current version of the macro is at the end of the last post there. It creates a map from whatever you've got in your GSAK database.

At this point, you could install and run the macro found at the bottom of this page: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry33473

The most current version of the macro is at the end of the last post there. It creates a map from whatever you've got in your GSAK database.

Oh and I use a mac (os 10.3.9) too... GSAK does not work.

I regularly print maps using uDig (a GIS app) on my Mac. However, it probably won't produce quite as nice a map and you'll have to find your county's "roads" shapefile if you want that layer on there. But it is incredibly flexible. I managed to get gpx2shp running to convert the pocket queries...

As for converting files, no need to use GSAK. GSAK simply includes GPSBabel, which you can run on your Mac.

Edited by Corey

I regularly print maps using uDig (a GIS app) on my Mac. However, it probably won't produce quite as nice a map and you'll have to find your county's "roads" shapefile if you want that layer on there. But it is incredibly flexible. I managed to get gpx2shp running to convert the pocket queries...

As for converting files, no need to use GSAK. GSAK simply includes GPSBabel, which you can run on your Mac.

I do this each time we go camping since I don't know the local roads. I use Microsoft Map Point, which works very well. :blink:

http://www.microsoft.com/Mappoint/default.mspx

Chris

I've done it using:

1. Manually on the New York Sectional Aeronautical Chart.

2. Magellan MapSend Topo (3 CD's for whole USA).

3. Garmin MapSource Topo (3 CD's whole USA).

4. Delorme Topo (6 CD's whole USA).

5. National Geographics Backroads Topo (17 CD's Whole USA).

6. MapTech Terrain Navigator Pro Topo (17+1 CD's for just New England and New York).

Only the TN can make multiple grided printouts for large maps as far as I can see, but it has other limitations.

Look at my photos for my one word log for the Massachusetts Delorme Challenge http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gcyjy1

Even the map in my profile is over a year out of date but it would be great as a poster.

MacGPSPro can read Pocket Query GPX files and place icons for found and not found. Dr. James also offers digitized topo maps of every state, and these can be loaded into MacGPSPro to make a really nice display. Individual map quads are automatically tiled, and the white boarders removed. I haven't found a good way to print a large one yet, although I haven't poked at it too much. It always wants to split the printout into letter-sized pages.