Opinions on the Oregon GPS

The_Westies

As it's coming up to Christmas we might look at treating ourselves to a new GPS and were considering the Oregon. We've got a CS at the moment and have problems with the arrow pointing the wrong way (even after callibrating) and the accuracy when the batteries get below half way.

We'd love to hear what everyone thinks of them and if there's any real advantage to having a 400 model instead of the 300. What are the maps like on them? Ease of use, likes / dislikes etc. Look forward to receiving your comments:)

I've not looked at the Oregon but check carefully about the model numbers and maps. In the USA the Colorado was sold as the basic 300 unit (no maps), then the 400 and 500 which included US topo maps. It was basically the same model with just the maps as extras preloaded on the SD card. In the UK the Colorado was only sold as the 300 (no included maps). I'm guessing the Oregon will be the same. It is shown by some UK suppliers as the 200 with basemap, the 300 with shaded relief basemap and the 400 with basemap and topo +3D option but does not say which topo map! I wonder if they've just taken the US advertising info. If the basemap is like any other Garmin basemaps it is pretty useless anyway.

Chris (MrB)

I'll be ordering an Oregon 300 from the internet later today so I'll try to remember to post my opinions of it when I've had chance to have a bit of a play with it. After a few weeks caching with Memory Map on my little Pocket PC I'm looking forward to having a big arrow to follow that doesn't disappear when you stop moving!

New toy = very excited! :blink:

Have had mine since last Thurs, and have been out caching with it almost every day since. Going from the Magellan 500 and a PDA to the Oregon, is a dream come true.

I loaded the topo maps onto the memory card, so I can also use the autoroute capability. This a pure fun! You can watch on a map, or go more detailed, and it tells you how many minutes / seconds to the next turn!

It is extremely easy to switch from the geocaching profile to the automotive profile. I moved the menu buttons around to better suit what I use. I liked that with geocaching I could set the profile to miles / feet, and the automotive profile to kilometers / meters. (I'm in Canada, eh) The profiles keep the settings separate which is nice.

As for finding the geocaches, I get best results using the electronic compass when close, and so far, the gps has been very close to actual cache location. Much better than the 30 ft out with my magellan!

Today, I had to use the edit waypoint function while doing a multi, and that is the first item, that I don't really like. The coords are at the top, and don't seem to scroll very well. Maybe I am not doing something right, will play with it some more... its actually a mute point, as its seldom that I have to edit a waypoint.

The display, as most folks mention in the forum is dim outside. I don't find it so low that it is impossible to read, as I normally cut the lighting down anyway on my Magellan. It is low, but still useable.

I am still running the 2.2 software, with no problems as of yet, will wait until updates get settled and reliable.

I did take the Oregon out caching on the bicycle, and had it bumped around a few times against the handlebars before I got smart and shortened my lanyard. No damage to the screen so I believe it is robust. The fingerprints from using the screen easily clean off with eyeglass cloth.

Another small point that I like and is maybe a normal Garmin thing, but the geocaches and parking icons etc are different vs the magellan (all waypoints were treasure chests).

So far, I like the little features and have no complaints, just fun ;)

How good is the touchscreen when you have gloves on? In winter I found the 60cs a pain to use because with thick gloves it's hard to hit the right button. The Colorado's wheel has its ups and downs, but it's easy to roll around even with clumsy padded gloves on and the three buttons are well separated. A concern I'd have with the Oregon would be hitting the right icon.

I don't think gloves would be a major problem for navigating using the large icons. The display is very sensitive. When editting coords, the icons are much smaller, so that would be when gloves would make it more difficult.

After geocaching quite often this past week, I only editted coords during one multi, so the majority of my use was with the main "larger" icons. So gloves should be another mute point. But time will tell :rolleyes:

Hello all

Had a oregon 300 for a 2 months now after moving up from a colorado from a venture cx.

First of all yes the screen is dull, i dont feel i have had a problem with the backlight when lit just leave it on 30 secind timer to save the power. Other than that fine.

The touch screen is awesome, easy to use quick to respond and the menus change very fast. The touch panel is sensitive, doesnt need to pressed too hard either.

Saving or editing waypoints to me is a piece of cake, just tick yes then move your arrow left and right to choose which part of you rlong or lat to edit. Change icon, name and other data in the same menu.

Geocaching mode is really nice, writing is a little small but still clear to read when lit up. Its really cool how they have used the frog and he shows you how many you have found. a nice littel touch

The unit only stores 124 caches after it is full load them as a "pocket query" and you can store up to 2000.

i have used the auto nav kit on this to drive around in my car and even have speed camerasloaded as well, it doesnt talk but has a nice bing bong to tell you about junction data and zooms in to the junction when you have changed the profile to automotive.

I also have the bike mount on my Trek headset so when i geocache on my bike the big pink line points to where im going.

Overall i love this unit after moving up from the colorado its so much easier to store and edit data, saving points and changing cache data is very quick.

last thing im running 1700 mah nimh sony batteries, 9 hours use when messing around and saving points or 18 hours when not messed arouond with just turned on.

Paul

The unit only stores 124 caches after it is full load them as a "pocket query" and you can store up to 2000.

Could you clarify that part a bit better?

I have all the Garmin units in the shop I run, but I've not had a play with the Oregon yet.

The first thing that struck me was it's relative small size compared to the Colorado, but it fits in your hand nicely.

Hi Jazz

i am also in the industry and recently had a customer who couldnt load anymore caches to there unit, Garmin said it might be beacuse it is full as apparently it only holds 124 caches.

So they said do it as a pocket query and you can store up to 2000.

Now i can only persume in theory it changes the file size / type and lets you store more.

This is in the premium members section on the right of your account.

This is info from Garmin technical, since passing thi son to the customer i have not heard from them since so it must have worked.

Jazz get playing with the oregon its a great piece of kit!!!

Thanks everyone. Some really good points you've brought up. Was a little concerned about the # of caches you could load but we always use PQs so that shouldn't be a problem.

There's no mention of them losing signal easily so that's definitely a plus point with so many caches being in the woods or awkward places to get a signal.

Now to save up some pennies......