A common list of USA peak logbook coords.

I've heard that there are logbooks hidden about at almost every major peak in the usa that is climbed regularly. Does anybody know if there is a common coords listing?

Many of the trails have trail registers/peak registers on them in these parts.

I don't know of any coords listings (as an organized thing)... in fact, a lot of people who hike regular-like don't use a GPS.

This is kinda cool though. There are coordinates floating around in there, but not so much for the registers as they are for other things.

michelle

Summit registers predate GPS, so they are generally sheltered by a conspicuous cairn of rocks, often marked with a stick jutting up like a flagpole. They are meant to found easily by hikers/climbers using no special navigational aids--just keep going up until you reach the point at which you can't gain any more elevation, and you're standing at or on the summit register.

Thanks! I'd heard some of them were hidden exceptionally well, but maybe they just meant hidden from the elements ;)

Yeah, a hard-to-find summit register would be pointless, and would probably be reckoned lost by other hikers, who would place a new one. The fact that the summit register tradition evolved before the 'net means that in order to ascertain whether somebody's been there, you have to go there yourself and check the log. You can't sit in front of your computer and gloat over "DNFs," so there's no incentive to hide a register, except to protect it from the elements.

With a highpoint of 3,213 feet, it looks like you have some "puny mountains" in PA :D

:lol: Yep, puny pretty much sums it up. Some great distance hikes, but not much in the way of elevation. A bit depressing for a kid from Alaska. :laughing: Fox is local and so when he and his wife visited my home in AK with Moun10Girl and myself it was a bit of an eye-opener. Our first day hike across the highway from the house (Mt. Eklutna - really more of a foothill than a mountain) was a bigger elevation gain than anything we've ever done over here in PA. Now he's been completely spoiled and we're trying to figure out how soon we can get back up there for another visit for some more hiking and a few climbs.