Nervous Newbie...

Team MamaLlama

I have been geocaching less than a year officially (account started in November 2007) but really less time than that in earnest. Of course, I love it, am getting addicted, and have formed a "team" with my teenage daughter. It's a great way for us to spend some time together, and we both love a challenge.

So what am I nervous about? Well, making a mistake in general -- in logging a find, moving a travel bug, etc. I've read some rather harsh replies and comments on these forums, and don't want to be the newbie everyone complains about!

But more specifically, my daughter is keen to hide a cache. I guess I am too. We have it all ready, I've written the posting, checked the waypoints numerous times, etc. But I haven't activated the listing yet so it can be reviewed and then published. I just don't know if it will be considered "lame" or too goofy or something. My daughter planned the placement, which is a bit unconventional (involving pulleys, wire and a cache that is stored high in a tree and lowers down when you move the wire --she's taking AP Physics in school this year, can you tell? :laughing: ). The cache is located at the end of a neighborhood park, along our back fence, so we can watch it carefully and make sure the mechanism still works).

We only have 28 finds so far, so we certainly haven't seen it all (or much at all!) in terms of cache placements. But I haven't seen one like this before. She wants me to activate the listing, but I don't want her to be disappointed if we get a bad response. Am I being nervous for nothing?

-Team MamaLlama

There really is nothing to be nervous about. Worst case, what can happen, someone give you a less than

glowing log or deletes a find?

As far as logging caches, just be honest and tactful and 98.999993 percent of the time you won't have an issue.

Sure there are people out there who might take offense at nearly any log you write. I've seen complaints in the forums about logs that were too short, logs that were too long, logs that were too critical and logs that were not critical enough. You name it. If someone has a problem with an honest and tactful log of yours, it reflects negatively on that person, not you.

As far as the cache you describe, based on solely on the description it sounds better than the 99.87697 percent of the caches out there. Will everybody love it? Probably not, there is always somebody who will complain about something, but at least you are trying.

Go for it... screw what the flamers, whiners, and general grumpy complainers on the forums say! (Let alone the Grammer Nazis). I would suggest though, that if the cache is within easy eye sight of your residence, and is as complex as it seems, that you offer a friendly note to rest searcher's own nervousness that it won't be muggle eyes watching you from the residence... I HATE caches that are at the edge of a playground with 20 houses staring down at you as if you were some kind of sick predator of children... I've started to just skip those...

I have been geocaching less than a year officially (account started in November 2007) but really less time than that in earnest. Of course, I love it, am getting addicted, and have formed a "team" with my teenage daughter. It's a great way for us to spend some time together, and we both love a challenge.

So what am I nervous about? Well, making a mistake in general -- in logging a find, moving a travel bug, etc. I've read some rather harsh replies and comments on these forums, and don't want to be the newbie everyone complains about!

But more specifically, my daughter is keen to hide a cache. I guess I am too. We have it all ready, I've written the posting, checked the waypoints numerous times, etc. But I haven't activated the listing yet so it can be reviewed and then published. I just don't know if it will be considered "lame" or too goofy or something. My daughter planned the placement, which is a bit unconventional (involving pulleys, wire and a cache that is stored high in a tree and lowers down when you move the wire --she's taking AP Physics in school this year, can you tell? :( ). The cache is located at the end of a neighborhood park, along our back fence, so we can watch it carefully and make sure the mechanism still works).

We only have 28 finds so far, so we certainly haven't seen it all (or much at all!) in terms of cache placements. But I haven't seen one like this before. She wants me to activate the listing, but I don't want her to be disappointed if we get a bad response. Am I being nervous for nothing?

-Team MamaLlama

:laughing: I think you & your daughter will be pleasantly surprised at the response you will receive. I say go for it!

You have obviously put a lot of thought into the placement & theme of your first cache which is more than I can say for a lot of the caches I've seen published. Don't put it off any longer. Just DO IT! & Enjoy the Game because after all that's what it is a game that's supposed to be FUN!!!

Go for it... screw what the flamers, whiners, and general grumpy complainers on the forums say! (Let alone the Grammer Nazis). I would suggest though, that if the cache is within easy eye sight of your residence, and is as complex as it seems, that you offer a friendly note to rest searcher's own nervousness that it won't be muggle eyes watching you from the residence... I HATE caches that are at the edge of a playground with 20 houses staring down at you as if you were some kind of sick predator of children... I've started to just skip those...

That's a good point. I'll change the description to add that the house and fence the cache is adjacent to is my own, so people won't feel weird being so close to private property. If fact, if we spot anybody trying to find the cache, we might just pop out and say hello. :(

We had a big thunderstorm last night, with wind and rain, so we want to check to make sure that the cache can withstand the weather before we publish it. But then I think we'll just go for it. Thanks everyone for your reassurance!

Team MamaLlama

Critics, complainers and grammar Nazis aren't exclusive to GC.Com; Every forum out there has their group of "perfectionists" who want to "recreate you in their own images". I understand your concern because I've been through this at other forums. Don't let this stop you from doing your best, and eventually you'll learn who these people are and soon the ability to "laugh off" their tirades will become second nature.

Plus, I really like your daughter's ideas. Good Luck :(

Dick

But more specifically, my daughter is keen to hide a cache. I guess I am too. We have it all ready, I've written the posting, checked the waypoints numerous times, etc. But I haven't activated the listing yet so it can be reviewed and then published. I just don't know if it will be considered "lame" or too goofy or something. My daughter planned the placement, which is a bit unconventional (involving pulleys, wire and a cache that is stored high in a tree and lowers down when you move the wire --she's taking AP Physics in school this year, can you tell? :( ). The cache is located at the end of a neighborhood park, along our back fence, so we can watch it carefully and make sure the mechanism still works).

-Team MamaLlama

Considering how many caches are just placed at the side of the road or on a sign post, yours sounds very creative. Not saying anything is wrong with the side of the road ones in my eyes. Its just not CREATIVE.

i don't like to categorize people here in the forums as whiners, flamers, or grammar nazis.

what you need to keep in mind about the forums is that this is the rough-and-tumble portion of the community where ideas and opinions jostle more freely than out in the "real" world.

don't worry one bit about your cache finds or your placements. if you're leaving caches as good as you found them, you're not going to draw much criticism. if your cache placements have basic characteristics of being a durable container in an acceptable spot, you are also not going to draw much criticism.

it sounds like you are taking care to make an interesting cache. from your post it appears to be one most people would enjoy. good for you.

don't worry about it so much, though.

and when the day comes that you do something somebody doesn't like, you can evaluate whether or not their opinion holds any importance for you. if it does, you have learned a lesson and you can correct yourself. if it doesn't, you continue on your merry way.

go have fun.

Kudos to you and your daughter. You are putting some forethought, caring, and even concern into your cache placement. Your heart is definitely in the right place.

Don't let the forums here discourage you one little bit. These forums make up a tiny percentage of the total caching community and some folks here tend to be the ones that are the most outspoken.

I have actually done a cache exactly like the one you describe. It was in a VERY remote area and had several decoy ammo cans nearby that were not the actual cache. All the decoys were damaged or broken ammo cans and labeled as decoys and 'keep looking'. The real one was up a tree with the cable running down over a hundred feet away to the tie off point. It was pretty funny to find a bunch of dinged up ammo cans on the ground where most people look, when the real cache was just a few feet overhead.

You will learn more as you do more in this game.

Put a smile on your daughter's face and put that cache up for review.

Sometimes as a cache owner we get some negative feedback on our caches, but most of the time it's positive. You've got to take the bad with the good and just realize that NO ONE can please EVERYBODY.

Just have fun in a way that's fun for you, and like minded people will join you in the fun! :(

can you get your daughter to work out a system for me?

i've always wanted to rig a pulley system where you have to pull DOWN on the rope at a remote location in order to get the cache to drop; i want to do this in order to require TWO people to retrieve the cache. you can't get the container to stay down without someone pulling the other end.

is it possible?

that'd be fun for your physics-minded daughter.

maybe.

i've always wanted to rig a pulley system where you have to pull DOWN on the rope at a remote location in order to get the cache to drop; i want to do this in order to require TWO people to retrieve the cache. you can't get the container to stay down without someone pulling the other end.

is it possible?

maybe.

Here is one solution

Edited by 1XL-on-XR650L

That sounds like an awesome cache! Go for it. We would love to find a cache like that. My husband and I have some different cache hides planned.

You will find complainers on all forums. Try finding a local forum or caching group. People tend to be alot nicer in those because there is the chance of meeting face to face on the trials or at an event.

is it possible?

maybe.

Here is one solution

good gracious, that's beautiful!

thank you.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback. Based on what everyone said, I went ahead and submitted the listing for review. It was published on Friday evening. The response so far has been positive, so looks like you all were right! (see the listing for "Great Start" at GC1G3CH). My daughter is already planning her next hide, and I have a feeling she'll never be content to do a "simple" "cache under a bush" hide! We'll see what she comes up with next...

Team MamaLlama