EarthCache Series

TerryDad2

I'm getting ready to list an EarthCache about serpentine, the California State Rock. I think it would be a great series to have an EarthCache on the state rock of each state, province, territory, country. The same could be done with the state mineral. Although in California, I don't think the site would last long since our mineral is gold (even though it is a metal). You would have people chipping it out to take home :laughing:

Does anyone already have one like this set up? How about a list of them?

This could be one of the goals for the beyond Platinum EarthCache Masters.

This could be one of the goals for the beyond Platinum EarthCache Masters.

personally i would hope they choose something more generic - I find it increasingly difficult to get into the states and somehow don't think "I'm going to get some earthcaches!" would save me from further questioning..

Although in California, I don't think the site would last long since our mineral is gold

Atleast it isn't diamonds, the poor folks in yellowknife!

Edited by Juicepig

Pennsylvania does not have a state rock or a state mineral.

There has been some talk of having a mineral added (celestine) but no state rock.

We do have a state fossil (a trilobite called Phacops rana) but I have never been able to find one and that would likely dissapear just like gold.

Still an interesting idea for states that have those things.

- Rev Mike

One of Vermont's state rocks are granite and I set up the first Earthcache for the granite quarries in my hometown of Barre, VT in 2005. I think it sounds like a great idea though. Vermont's state mineral is Talc, and there are a few old quarries that are still open for cachers to visit. The state rocks are granite, marble and slate.

PA has a problem...

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/info/dcnrfaq/t....aspx#staterock

What are Pennsylvania’s state rock, state mineral, and state fossil?

Pennsylvania does not have a state rock or a state mineral. In 2002, a group of fifth-grade students took a proposal to the House of Representatives to have the mineral celestine named the state mineral. Celestine, which is strontium sulfate, was unknown until it was discovered in Pennsylvania by a group of German travelers in the 18th century. It has a beautiful sky-blue color that inspired its name. Perhaps it will be named the state mineral in the near future.

We don’t know of any recent proposals to name a state rock. Many people have suggested that coal might be appropriate in recognition of its long and important role in shaping Pennsylvania’s economy. Others have suggested that diabase be designated the state rock because of its historical significance at the Civil War Battle of Gettysburg. Diabase is an igneous rock that formed in Pennsylvania during the Triassic and Jurassic Periods, about 190 million years ago. Cemetery and Seminary Ridges, the locations of the main Union and Confederate lines during the battle, formed the high ground of the battlefield because the underlying diabase is more resistant to erosion than the surrounding bedrock. Devils Den, the scene of some of the most intense fighting of the battle, is an outcrop of diabase, as is the strategically important Little Roundtop.

I could try and create a sereis w/ coal. Things that come to mind:

Surface Exposure

GOB Piles [Waste Coal Pile] many are now being used as source material in power plants

Coke Ovens if I can find a good one.

Abandoned Mine Drainage. The lovely orange or milky white creeks we have through out this region.

I got my Serpentinite EarthCache published today. I've set up a Bookmark list for State Rocks and Minerals Let me know what other ones are out there and I'll add them to the list. Don't be shy about adding ones from other countries either.

I am just appauled that some states don't have a state rock or mineral :anibad: It sounds like you need to start writing your state lawmakers to get their act in gear. They've had a good 200 years or so to pick one (or more).

I got my Serpentinite EarthCache published today. I've set up a Bookmark list for State Rocks and Minerals Let me know what other ones are out there and I'll add them to the list. Don't be shy about adding ones from other countries either.

I am just appauled that some states don't have a state rock or mineral :anibad: It sounds like you need to start writing your state lawmakers to get their act in gear. They've had a good 200 years or so to pick one (or more).

I just did a cache in Washington that has you walk by a large Serpintine outcrop to get to it. A very cool looking area.

Washington State Gem is Petrafied Wood

I would add this "Trees of Stone EarthCache" to your bookmark list.

Uh... the Alaska state gem is Jade. I think I know how to work up an EarthCache for that one. However, the Alaska state mineral is gold. Now there's a problem... although the 2008 Alaska Geocoin (featuring a Polar Bear) had a special issue edition of ten coins struck at the Alaska Mint in gold - a one ounce solid gold geocoin. And no - they weren't made as FTF prizes!

Florida has a State Soil - Myakka Fine Sand. No state mineral (oughta be Rock Phosphate, but isn't).

Agatized Coral is a State Stone. I think the State Soil represents the best option for an earthcache. Moonstone doesn't exist in the state, and agatized corals are found in a limited range (mostly underwater...)

The State gem is moonstone not because it has anything whatever to do with Florida, but it was given that designation after the moon landing from Kennedy Space Flight Center.

I just got approval to place an Earth Cache from a local University that has Large Rock samples from each county in Idaho located around campus. Now I have to do the write up and submit for approval. I'll try to remember to contact you when I get my approval.

twinfly

Florida has a State Soil - Myakka Fine Sand. No state mineral (oughta be Rock Phosphate, but isn't).

Agatized Coral is a State Stone. I think the State Soil represents the best option for an earthcache. Moonstone doesn't exist in the state, and agatized corals are found in a limited range (mostly underwater...)

The State gem is moonstone not because it has anything whatever to do with Florida, but it was given that designation after the moon landing from Kennedy Space Flight Center.

I suppose that would be a 5 star terrain rating to get up there. And what would the coordinates be?

Well I've been trying to work something up for a while but not gotten anywhere.

Louisiana's state rock/mineral is agate. I know it is commonly collected in the Amite River gravel but have no idea where any public locations are and haven't found anything online.

The state fossil is petrified palmwood, which is in the Toledo Bend area, there is a state park there but I've never been to it, although I came close when doing the Delorme Challenge.

Anyways I am looking to place an Earthcache soon to get my next level pin, so if anyone finds info on the Amite agate beds let me know, maybe someone has a rockhound guide somewhere.