Is this okay (travel bug related)?

anakin008

Today we found a cache that contained a travel bug. It originated in the cache we found it in. Do I need to put it in a new cache soon?

I ask because we are going to NY for Thanksgiving (we're in CA). I thought it might be neat to re-home it in NY instead of just a few miles from where it started. The creator's goal, it states, it for it to travel the Northeastern US and Canada. My bringing it to NY would help towards the goal, but it would be out of the field for a while.

I'll follow the advice on this forum because I don't want to do anything "rude" or against the grain.

TIA

E

It's nice you're at least observing the TB's goal before picking it up! Alot of times I find people grab TBs and then put them WWAAYYY out of the way of their ultimate goal.

In your case, I would email the TB owner and tell them you're willing to take it to NY with you come Thanksgiving. Otherwise, alot of the fun is having the bug MAKE it's way towards it's goal. I'd say take it and move it only a few miles to another active cache more East. Or move it closer to a highway or airport. That way sonmeone who's traveling can take it on a great adventure!!

I don't see that you've logged the bug yet. If you taken it from the cache you need to do a Retrieve log so people aren't expecting to find the bug still in the cache.

Typically you should hold a bug for no more than two-three weeks. If you need to hold it longer, like to help to help it towards its goal as you've indicated, then send the owner an email explaining the situation. Most are cool about it as long as they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.

If you happen to be traveling quite soon, and are helping the bug towards its goal, then you are doing exactly what the owner wants - no permission required. Go for it.

Move them bugs!

I have sent a message giving both options (local or cross country) and asked which one the owner would prefer. I had not logged it because I was going to post a pic. Then I realized I can go back and do that. So I logged it.

I also mentioned that I could re-home it in LA or San Diego, but that seems to be the opposite direction.

Thanks for all the help. I'll certainly do as the owner wants.

E

I have sent a message giving both options (local or cross country) and asked which one the owner would prefer. I had not logged it because I was going to post a pic. Then I realized I can go back and do that. So I logged it.

I also mentioned that I could re-home it in LA or San Diego, but that seems to be the opposite direction.

Thanks for all the help. I'll certainly do as the owner wants.

E

Great! Heck if the owner doesn't want it to get there in one big jump you could say you'll take it, show it a good time, and bring it back.

Telling stories of adventures and taking a bunch pictures is two of the best parts of travel bugs - for both the finder and the owner.

Edited by BlueDeuce

What I might do is put it in a cache that is popular and see if it moves before I leave for NY. If it doesn't I can ask him about picking it up and moving it then. I don't think I would do the big jump if he wasn't okay with it. Even if it didn't go anywhere between now and then.

Looking at the bug page I honestly think he would be quite happy that the bug is in the area he wanted it to go. Once it gets to the NE US and Canada he's going to enjoy reading the logs. I say - make it happen. Would that be so bad?

Edited by BlueDeuce