Manually Entering UTM Waypoints With Oregons

Didjerrydo

No, it is is a common complaint. It is a little better than it used to be because you aren't allowed to enter illegal characters.

I was trying to figure out why they designed it this way the other day and I think it has to do with screen space and touch button sizes. I'm guessing Garmin wanted to get all of the alpha characters onto one screen but not shrink the touch button size so small that you would get lots of missed presses. So they crammed all 26 characters, plus space and shift but they didn't have room left over for cursor movement (and it would be confusing with the page left/right arrows just below). At that point they decided to add the cursor movement mode. Just a guess but I can't figure out any other reason why they didn't just put cursor movement arrows and a delete/backspace button on all pages.

Unfortunately this created an awkward interface where you have to cycle in and out of this mode to locate the cursor and enter text.

UTM is worse because there isn't a space in the format between the northing/easting which makes it almost impossible to know where you are in a set of coordinates you are editing.

GO$Rs

No, it is is a common complaint. It is a little better than it used to be because you aren't allowed to enter illegal characters.

I was trying to figure out why they designed it this way the other day and I think it has to do with screen space and touch button sizes. I'm guessing Garmin wanted to get all of the alpha characters onto one screen but not shrink the touch button size so small that you would get lots of missed presses. So they crammed all 26 characters, plus space and shift but they didn't have room left over for cursor movement (and it would be confusing with the page left/right arrows just below). At that point they decided to add the cursor movement mode. Just a guess but I can't figure out any other reason why they didn't just put cursor movement arrows and a delete/backspace button on all pages.

Unfortunately this created an awkward interface where you have to cycle in and out of this mode to locate the cursor and enter text.

UTM is worse because there isn't a space in the format between the northing/easting which makes it almost impossible to know where you are in a set of coordinates you are editing.

GO$Rs

It looks like they've really created a major limiting factor here that makes the unit far less usable to many folks. Wonder if they'll surely address this stumbling block with an udpate soon?