Geocaching on BBC's One Show

Have to say I was disappointed :D by the item and wanted to share a story related to it....

I emailed the One Show about 3 weeks ago, having seen an item on dogs doing Flyball, suggesting they did an item on geocaching. The reply I got was that they weren't interested as they are a "current affairs" (or somesuch silly phrase) show and if it wasnt about knife crime they didnt want to know!!!! :laughing:

So I am especially surprised to see it appear tonight....

Needless to say I have emailed them again to point out their errors and suggest that they now produce a more balanced piece or at least correct the assumption that all cachers go around digging up parks! :laughing:

Why don't we contact the BBC and let them know. I think the new number is 03700 100222. All the responses will be passed to the producer of the programme. Hopefully they will at least mention that there was an error.

It's true. All comments get published in the 'Audience Log' and are passed on to the producers of the programmes. Whether they take any notice or not is another question... :(

Edited by housefamily

Why don't we contact the BBC and let them know. I think the new number is 03700 100222. All the responses will be passed to the producer of the programme. Hopefully they will at least mention that there was an error.

It's true. All comments get published in the 'Audience Log' and are passed on to the producers of the programmes. Whether they take any notice or not is another question... :laughing:

Now if only we knew someone who worked for Auntie... :(

It's true. All comments get published in the 'Audience Log' and are passed on to the producers of the programmes. Whether they take any notice or not is another question... :(

Would this also apply to comments made through Their Website?

I've just received the following reply from the BBC. Seems as though you can imply anything as long as it's "not intended as a serious look at the hobby". I'm sure the general public will know it was meant to be "tongue in cheek". :ph34r:

Thank you for your e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we are sorry you have had to wait on this occasion.

We note your concerns regarding the 'One Show' on 10 September and our item on Geocoaching. The item was not intended as a serious look at the hobby. It was simply a small sideways glance at how GPS is being used to create new sports and hobbies like these.

The sequence did include the digging up of a treasure chest (although you don't actually see it being pulled from the ground). It was a tongue in cheek sequence which was in no way intended to portray a proper look at geocaching.

We apologise, however, for any offence which may have been caused. This was never our intention.

Please be assured that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints

Just had an email response to my complaint to the BBC

<quote>Thank you for your e-mail. Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying. We know our correspondents appreciate a quick response and we are sorry you have had to wait on this occasion.

We note your concerns regarding the 'One Show' on 10 September and our item on Geocoaching. The item was not intended as a serious look at the hobby. It was simply a small sideways glance at how GPS is being used to create new sports and hobbies like these.

The sequence did include the digging up of a treasure chest (although you don't actually see it being pulled from the ground). It was a tongue in cheek sequence which was in no way intended to portray a proper look at geocaching.

We apologise, however, for any offence which may have been caused. This was never our intention.

Please be assured that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints

</quote>