Garmin eTrex Legend HCx pointer issues

Boyscout64

I was out using my HCx and when I was approaching the area that the cache was in I noticed that the pointer on my GPSr wasnt moving at all. I found the cache but the pointer kept on pointing in the opposite direction. I moved around but still no movement. Anyone have any idea why this was? My trusty eXplorist 210's pointer always moved to point me in the right direction.

After reading some of the other threads in here it seems that some of the Garmin units will not detect a change in direction if you are moving too slowly. I have seen the figure of at least 2.5 MPH in order to ensure the GPS notices your movement and can get an accurate bearing. Does that seem to fit with what you are experiencing?

...ken...

I was out using my HCx and when I was approaching the area that the cache was in I noticed that the pointer on my GPSr wasnt moving at all. I found the cache but the pointer kept on pointing in the opposite direction. I moved around but still no movement. Anyone have any idea why this was? My trusty eXplorist 210's pointer always moved to point me in the right direction.

The answer is it depends- which HCx- legend or vista and what version of firmware. The legend only detects direction by movement and older versions of firmware did not detect movement under 2 MPH. So if you have a legend you need to update the firmware. Even so, if you are moving very slowly it still will not react ( I think the new cutoff is about 0.7 MPH)

As for the magnetic compass in the Vista- if working properly and turned on, that should point in the right direction assuming it is calibrated and you have it turned on. Personally I have a legend and use a 10 dollar liquid filled compass.

This will also happen if you have the unit setup to "Lock On Road".