Zones and Characters

StaticTank

I have a little question. Lets say I have a Zone that is 1 mile x 1 mile. Inside this zone are 5 characters (lets say one in each corner and one in the middle.) I want the player to have to be within a certain distance of the character to be able to talk to that character (100 feet). I don't really see a way to do this. Once a player enters the zone they are able to talk to every character within the zone without getting even close to them. There doesn't seem to be a way to set proximity or distance to a character. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Just because the player can see the character doesn't mean that every action for that character has to be turned on. In the OnClick event for the character you could measure the distance from the player and turn on (enable) the Talk action if he is close enough or turn it off (disable) if he is too far away.

Another approach would be to have the Talk always available but test the distance when the Player tries to talk and if they are too far away give a message like "Fred is too far away to hear you right now - please move closer to him"

You could also experiment with making mini zones within the big zone and putting the characters in the mini zones instead.

Edited by Geofellas

You could also experiment with making mini zones within the big zone and putting the characters in the mini zones instead.

That is what I did to begin with.

I tried to check the distance from the player to the character but all I could check was if the player was in distance or proximity to a zone not a character. I was hoping there was a better way.