Caches of special significance...

Following on from the discussions recently about what to do when archiving caches, people mentioned caches they regarded as having special significance, and whether efforts should be made to preserve them. I was curious about what special qualities you feel would make a cache a worthy contender for this. Early hides? Particularly challenging caches? Original puzzles? Spectacular scenery? Oldest surviving caches? Whatever...discuss worthy caches here, and why you feel they're worthy. What makes them really special, and significant in UK caching history?

I'd love to try doing some of your suggestions, and it might be worth starting a bookmark list if people have lots of ideas. Let's plug some of the most excellent caches out there, so we can all enjoy them.

By the way, what's the UK's longest-lived, continually active cache? And what was the very first one?

Lee

GC3660 Inbound from Proxima gets my vote.

It may tick a few boxes for others in that it's quite old (Jan 02) it's a Virtual (and a multi) it has a whiff of the puzzle about it, but it's not one of those icky "solve the following simple clue: aklsjfdalksjfhjk" ones.

It provides a satisfying few hours in beautiful surroundings. Frustratingly I can't say too much more about it because that would be telling. It's basically a GPS game all of its own. Whether it's really a Geocache is another matter ...

Edited to add:

GC2BA The First In Wales (Feb 01) is still going strong and well worth a visit.

Edited by Team Sieni

I think the first cache in the UK was GC4E England’s First placed by Jeremy. If you go to the page there is a link to the history of the cache.

The oldest still active cache is GCF0 Scotland’s First which was placed on 15TH December 2000

Wow, England's First is right on my own patch - I live only a couple of miles away and have done several of the caches nearby. The story of it is really funny - is this why it's a bad idea to leave food and drink in caches?!?

Scotland's First looks extemely challenging, and I'd put it's longevity down to the fact that it's clearly well out of reach of casual muggles.

Lee

For me it's:

Virtuals and Webcams, as these are most at risk of vanishing. It's a shame we lost the UK's Project A.P.E. cache- Like Virtuals and Webcams, it's not coming back.

Old caches (pre 2002) which give an insight into the early days of caching. Europe's First is in Ireland, and I have several early 2001 caches near me which as a community we try to look after.

Caches with an amazing view, if that's all the claim to fame they have, can always be replaced if the listing is archived. Same goes for other cool locations and clever puzzles; unless they have another 'special feature' they're not unique enough to get special help to survive- in my opinion.

For me it's:

Virtuals and Webcams, as these are most at risk of vanishing. It's a shame we lost the UK's Project A.P.E. cache- Like Virtuals and Webcams, it's not coming back.

Old caches (pre 2002) which give an insight into the early days of caching. Europe's First is in Ireland, and I have several early 2001 caches near me which as a community we try to look after.

Caches with an amazing view, if that's all the claim to fame they have, can always be replaced if the listing is archived. Same goes for other cool locations and clever puzzles; unless they have another 'special feature' they're not unique enough to get special help to survive- in my opinion.

I guess Virtuals are now covered by Waymarking. Personally, I've never got into virtuals and webcams, as I like to have something physical to look for. It seems like that's the whole point of caching to me.

Agreed, if all a cache has going for it is the view, it's possibly not very special - unless it's a view that's not generally known about. One of the things I love about caching is the way it leads you to discover brand-new places you'd otherwise never see.

Lee

For me it's:

hear hear - agree completely.

I would add to the list those caches that are among the most visited - which admittedly will tend to be the London ones... St Ethelredas Cathedral would be high on my list of ones to keep (and Last Delivery, obviously!)

I would add to the list those caches that are among the most visited - which admittedly will tend to be the London ones... St Ethelredas Cathedral would be high on my list of ones to keep (and Last Delivery, obviously!)

I really enjoyed Last Delivery when I did it, although I notice it's offline at the moment - I hope it's back up soon. It's in a wonderful location and the regular flow of travel bugs made it a great spot to visit.

Lee

I really enjoyed Last Delivery when I did it, although I notice it's offline at the moment - I hope it's back up soon. It's in a wonderful location and the regular flow of travel bugs made it a great spot to visit.

Lee

from one PP to another - keep up! its archived (maybe only temprorarily) and I think (?) is what prompted some of these threads! :laughing:

GC2BA The First In Wales (Feb 01) is still going strong and well worth a visit.

Looks like a good one. Perhaps it was quality rather than quantity in those days?

Lee

As someone who has found both 'The First in Wales' and 'Scotlands First' , I have to say that they both ticked all the right boxes for me. They both needed a considerable amount of physical effort to reach the cache site and neither were particularly easy to find once I'd got there. I needed two visits for the Welsh cache and will admit to finally using the picture clue as I didn't want a second DNF. As the 4th finder of Scotland's First, over two years after it was placed, I didn't have a lot to go on. The quoted co-ords are wildly inaccurate and will only get you to the general area. Anyone planning an attempt on this one is advised to read all the previous logs. The locations for both caches are quite stunning and well worth the effort of getting there.

Old they may be, but they're in a whole different league to the majority of more recently placed caches.

Edited by Pharisee
I needed two visits for the Welsh cache and will admit to finally using the picture clue as I didn't want a second DNF.

I'm amazed you had the forbearance to even try it without the picure clue! It took us long enough with the clue.

For the benefit of others: the cache is in a sea of boulders, and it's under one of them.

As someone who has found both 'The First in Wales' and 'Scotlands First' , I have to say that they both ticked all the right boxes for me. They both needed a considerable amount of physical effort to reach the cache site and neither were particularly easy to find once I'd got there. I needed two visits for the Welsh cache and will admit to finally using the picture clue as I didn't want a second DNF. As the 4th finder of Scotland's First, over two years after it was placed, I didn't have a lot to go on. The quoted co-ords are wildly inaccurate and will only get you to the general area. Anyone planning an attempt on this one is advised to read all the previous logs. The locations for both caches are quite stunning and well worth the effort of getting there.

Old they may be, but they're in a whole different league to the majority of more recently placed caches.

I'm a relative newcomer to caching, having only been at it since July last year, and the majority of the caches I've done are in fairly built-up locations. They're all fun, of course, but like you say, caches like these are a completely different business to the more run-of-the-mill ones. When people started out, they seemed to pick spectacularly good places - but it takes some dedication to do that, and as good places have got used up, we've ended up with some areas completely saturated with caches that certainly aren't bad, but aren't special either.

I was introduced to the game by Eclectic Penguin who took me to the Pip's Falls cache in the Brecon Beacons - a great start to the madness. :( One of my favourites recently was 1st Cache North Uist (GC13C9A) - it's been there about 18 months, but as yet caches in the Outer Hebrides are thin on the ground and there's only a few anywhere around there. It was a fairly easy but very beautiful beach walk to get there, and it's what it's all about really.

Lee

This is an interesting Bookmark if you'd like a look at Old active caches in UK and Ireland.

Looked at this list and were surprised to find we'd done a few, and checking back we enjoyed 'em all, and enjoyed the memories they brought back! It would be a shame to loose them.

Agree with the comments by Pharisee, the old caches are usually a bit special. As we don't like urban caches much, but there are a few exceptions, we hope they go on for a lot longer yet.

We like to cache outside of "our area" and will make a special effort when we are out and about to visit some more of these oldies.

I think it was in another thread that someone was thinking of archiving their caches because the locals had done them - hey! don't forget there are always folks out and about who might just like to do your caches, especially if they have had some good reports in the logs, when they are in the area!

Quality cache = quality logs = longevity hopefully.........

Thinking back our first was memorable as we had no idea what to expect.

I like those where there is either something of a challenge or something unusual about them, Ker Plunk (GC1B4XF), Final Hurdle (GC13TNE) and Krypton Factor (GC10PDB) plus others by Tzus are some that spring to my mind as great caches. This challenge has to be such that they arent too hard that I DNF though.

The other thing for me is if you get a dadgum good view of some sort, hence Derbyshire, the Scottish Glens or circular country walks are a favourite too.

"The quoted co-ords are wildly inaccurate and will only get you to the general area."

"The cache is in a sea of boulders, and it's under one of them."

Well, at the risk of being controversial - maybe caches that aren't that brilliant then! Might explain why, despite being on a popular Munro the Scottish one hasn't had many visits despite its age.

Interesting to look back on, but good to see how things have changed, generally for the better I think.

Lots of good caches on hills in many areas; lots of caches generally that take you to more 'secret' / lesser known corners rather than 'obvious' summits that if you like walking you'd probably visit anyway; lots of caches with a fun/cunning/sneaky etc twist to the hide; generally lots of variety to cater for all types.

Don't think we need to get too sentimental about old caches - good history and would certainly be good to keep the 'firsts', but also good to reflect on the diversity of today and the creative changes that have happened. Sure, maybe too many dodgy urban micros, (or whatever your definition of 'lame' is) but not everyone lives near a large mountain! I would hope that geocachers have learned a few things since 2001.

I thought SP had it about right:

Quote:

For me it's:

hi folks, Im definately VERY NEW to this, with just one find under my belt.

Having read a bit on forums, would it be fair to say that a cach that has been somebodys first to place would be in the list?

Afterall they have been inspired to start something for others, they have put something back to geocaching and left thier mark.

There can only over be one first cach that somebody leaves.....some are left as a basic easy thing to find, some have a lot of thought time and effort put into the planning.

Reading the thread above people seem to have looked at this topic from the finders perspective.

hi folks, Im definately VERY NEW to this, with just one find under my belt.

Having read a bit on forums, would it be fair to say that a cach that has been somebodys first to place would be in the list?

Afterall they have been inspired to start something for others, they have put something back to geocaching and left thier mark.

There can only over be one first cach that somebody leaves.....some are left as a basic easy thing to find, some have a lot of thought time and effort put into the planning.

Reading the thread above people seem to have looked at this topic from the finders perspective.

Interesting point. I can see what you mean, but I hid my first cache after I'd only found a few. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and the cache led a charmed life for over a year until it got vandalised (it was literally used as a toilet) and I had to remove it.

Looking back, it clearly wasn't a very good location and the cache wasn't hidden well enough at all. It worked for a while, but there's no way I'd hide anything like this again and have been much more careful since. We all learn, I suppose. :blink:

Lee

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I had no idea where the oldest geocache in England was. Shame it isn't still there.

I was surprised it was an area I know well as I have several friends in Surbiton, one of which I have recently introduced to geocaching.

I think it is important to keep the old caches going, especially virtuals & webcams. It is a shame that there are no project APE caches around any more, although there are still a few geocoins.

I'm not exactly sure why, but Fossil Transfer is regarded as an old classic.

Though archived, it's probably still in place.

Petrus featured in a detective novel, which I think makes it unique.

Lucky 7: a few people here will remember the exciting chase to this one, which turned out to contain REAL treasure: also pretty rare in the UK!

After I came across an unused genuine Project APE box and contents, I did try to persuade Jeremy & Co to let me place one final APE cache, but was refused. :laughing: Pity.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I think it is important to keep the old caches going, especially virtuals & webcams. It is a shame that there are no project APE caches around any more, although there are still a few geocoins.

There are two Project Ape caches still in existence -

Mission 4 : Southern Bowl

Mission 9 : Tunnel of Light*

So if you want the icon, it means a holiday in either Washington state or Brazil.

Start saving now :rolleyes:

MrsB

*Just looked at the last log on The Tunnel of Light cache - It looks like that one may be going, going, gone soon. :laughing:

Edited by The Blorenges

*Just looked at the last log on The Tunnel of Light cache - It looks like that one may be going, going, gone soon. :laughing:

The tunnel closes for the winter: icicles form at the entrance and become dangerous. It had only just opened when I got there in June this year due to the severe winter (it was still snowy), but normally it reopens late April-early May. Don't worry, there is another route, if you're keen enough!

The tunnel closes for the winter: icicles form at the entrance and become dangerous. It had only just opened when I got there in June this year due to the severe winter (it was still snowy), but normally it reopens late April-early May. Don't worry, there is another route, if you're keen enough!

Ahhh, OK, understood... not that we were planning to go... Wouldn't mind though. :rolleyes:

I definately agree with webcams and virtuals, they may not be everyone's cup of tea (that's a whole load of other threads!) but to those who want to do them they are becoming a rare icon and are a nice bit of variation from all the traditional caches out there.

The Project APE caches still in existance should also be looked after.

It would be nice to think that local caching communities will help to keep caches like this active.

Back in the middle of last year, the UK Reviewers took the unprecedented step of putting this cache into the 'care of the geocaching community'. Not because it was one of the oldest, although it was hidden in 2002, but because they were persuaded/bribed/threatened to let it remain in place and active because it was placed in such a stunning location in the Outer Hebrides. The original owners had, I believe, abandoned it and there was no-one willing to adopt it. Also there were a few issues that needed resolving but they were sorted to the reviewer's satisfaction and they let it remain. It's still in place and gets very good logs. Fairly recently, notes were posted that it needed some attention and that was sorted by the next visitors.

Whilst I wouldn't hold this up a 'precedent' to the current Reviewers, I guess that under some circumstances, a cache that deserves special attention may get it... if a suitable case can be made.

Back in the middle of last year, the UK Reviewers took the unprecedented step of putting this cache into the 'care of the geocaching community'. Not because it was one of the oldest, although it was hidden in 2002, but because they were persuaded/bribed/threatened to let it remain in place and active because it was placed in such a stunning location in the Outer Hebrides. The original owners had, I believe, abandoned it and there was no-one willing to adopt it. Also there were a few issues that needed resolving but they were sorted to the reviewer's satisfaction and they let it remain. It's still in place and gets very good logs. Fairly recently, notes were posted that it needed some attention and that was sorted by the next visitors.

Whilst I wouldn't hold this up a 'precedent' to the current Reviewers, I guess that under some circumstances, a cache that deserves special attention may get it... if a suitable case can be made.

I note it was one of the present reviewers who made this exception Log