Ever had an "Evil" cache?

cuda1179

I know that there are caches out there that are hard, but they are described that way by the person that placed them. There is one one top of an radio antena in my area.

Then there are the ones that are hard, but seem like they will be easy before you get there. Some in my traveling area include: One that is "just off the trail" that is completely surrounded by the thistle 6 feet tall. One at a picnic area that you will need to bring a ladder with you to reach.

A friend of mine found a micro that is shaped like a small, black pebble. It was in a rock garden filled full of small black pebbles.

I will let the comments in the logs tell the story about this cache of mine. Only 1 find since placed in July 2007, and right in the middle of my home town.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

I don't think that counts, as no has gone for it since March. The cache i linked on here is a bit more evil. It's got astro turf on the top of it, placed in a hillside. Yes, your cache is in a place full of mud in the Outback (is it the outback? Looks more like a city). Not to many people can find it, and the cache owner even made an event next to the cache so people could find it, with him looking on

I just hid an "evil" cache, but not really. I gave plenty of information warning off the "park-n-grab" seekers that this one is not for them. I rated the difficulty a "4" and I believe that's being a bit conservative. I offer to help via e-mail if the cacher requests it.

Here it is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...04-9e57bb36f8b4

My first two caches ever hidden were multistage caches that were FTF-ed within a few hours of publication. They turned out to be easier than I thought - I guess I didn't give enough credit to the tenacity of the average cacher here.

So I placed this one as a real challenge. It's been public for a couple of days now with no finds. It's aimed at the veteran cacher who has "seen that, done that".

I'll wait and see if I get too many complaints about the difficulty level, but I don't expect too much of that because I make it clear in the description that this one "has hair on it" :lol: If they're after a fairly easy one, they can pass mine up :laughing:

There was this one cache that me and a friend did, this was the first one that we ever had to use the hint for, we looked for about a hour in this park, there was a bench in the area and nothing else but woods.

we also forgot to log how big the cache was for this one so we were pretty much shooting in the dark, but we were presistant, we evently called my brother to go online and look up the hint for the cache, when he got back to us he told me that the hint was magnetic, I was stuned because we looked the bench over quite well and it was the only magnetic thing within half a mile, when we inspected the bench further we relized that one post on the left side had a extra nut bolt than all the rest.

we gave a tug on the odd ball and sure enough it came off, unscrewed and a very small peice of paper in side.

it was one of those lights that you could buy at the dollar store no bigger than a 3/8 nut bolt

Yes, a cache where you have to get 6 ft up and then use a tool or combination of tools to reach 7 ft down a pipe and attempt to grasp the cache while in plain view of a very popular dog park. This one took 10 trips. 3 to locate plus 4 did not attempt due to high volume of muggles/doggles and 3 attempts with various combinations of tools to finally complete.

More than one of my caches have been called evil. They weren't meant to be evil, just fun. The coordinates are dead-on except for two cachers in our area. They both complain that the coordinates are off and that is why they can not find the cache! Some people walk straight up to the cache and find it. Others have to make many trips before getting the cache. We've done "evil" micros, smalls and even ammo cans. Other than the occassional cacher who just can't find it people seem to like our caches for being different, not evil.

I found an evil cache yesterday. It was a puzzle cache and took me a while to solve it. when i did solve it I finally found the evil cache. It was a concrete parking stop behind a grocery store. At first it looked like any other parking stop but it wasn't fastened down on one side. I kicked it and it slid. Ah ha I said. The rebar that holds them in place had been removed and the cache was inside with a 2" piece of rebar on top to look like it blended in. I pulled up the rebar and lo and behold there it was. Once I found it I could appreciate the effort that went into hiding it.

I found an evil cache yesterday. It was a puzzle cache and took me a while to solve it. when i did solve it I finally found the evil cache. It was a concrete parking stop behind a grocery store. At first it looked like any other parking stop but it wasn't fastened down on one side. I kicked it and it slid. Ah ha I said. The rebar that holds them in place had been removed and the cache was inside with a 2" piece of rebar on top to look like it blended in. I pulled up the rebar and lo and behold there it was. Once I found it I could appreciate the effort that went into hiding it.

Yup. Place a very hard find. Said so in the cache write up. Rated it as hard. Cachers went so far as to strip the bark off the dead and fallen tree it was in and still could not find it. They also tore up the area pretty good and make me regret ever having placed it. I dropped a hint to the few cachers who bothered to log a DNF, gave them a week to find it. Then archived the cache with a big lesson learned.

I hid a cache using a hiding method I totally stole off of this forum. It's in a public park underneath a piece of exercise equipment along a jogging trail. There's a pen attached with velcro along with another piece of velcro that holds ... nothing. The log sheet is hidden in the barrel of the pen. The cache was hidden on 4/1/2007.

I wish I had a dollar for every replacement cache that's been left there. It's been a nonstop source of excellent candidates for the Didn't Find It = Found It thread. So far, it's only cache I've got that has actively made someone angry at me.

I hid a cache using a hiding method I totally stole off of this forum. It's in a public park underneath a piece of exercise equipment along a jogging trail. There's a pen attached with velcro along with another piece of velcro that holds ... nothing. The log sheet is hidden in the barrel of the pen. The cache was hidden on 4/1/2007.

I wish I had a dollar for every replacement cache that's been left there. It's been a nonstop source of excellent candidates for the Didn't Find It = Found It thread. So far, it's only cache I've got that has actively made someone angry at me.

Great idea! I am going to try that one. Thanks

This one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...98-66b7b1e27ed3

Read the notes why this one is evil. Should be named Rocky Road to poison oak hell!!!

um...........just because it was probably place unknowingly in a patch of posion oak, doesn't make the cache an evil hide. the CO may not have known that the plant was poisonous. Can you tell the difference between poison ivy and real ivy? Unless you've had some "training (i.e. Boy scouts)" you can't tell what something really is. And even then, some people are immune to the effects of the poison plants. I've been in scouting for a long while, and never had a rash from touching the plants

Crazy Monkey Tripod

Not going to do it!

Wow !!! :D

Hmmmm... what ever happened to dads climbing belt? It was made (literally) for climbing towers like this.

Was your dad a Radio Tech? Mine is a radio tech for the US Forest Service.

From the late 40's thru the mid 60's, dad owned a TV & Radio Sales & Repair business (in those days, you actually repaired them) up in Lynden. The belt was for climbing TV towers that he erected for people.