Update to the Free Nuvi 200

highrolla7

After some of you guys had good luck with the free NUVI 200 giveaway, I decided to give it a go. Signed up, which does include your personal info (which made me nervous at first). But, I figured Discover is a big name company and wouldnt mind having a Discover card anyway. Signed up for it and bought grocerys and a tank of gas. Not exactly sure how long ago it was, (maybe 2 months ago or so) and I get a box in the mail, which is a brand new NUVI 200. Unbelievable. I figured I would get junk mail for sure and havent yet (well anymore than I already do), and never get a junk call on my cell phone because I didnt use my correct cell phone number.

I am normally pretty reluctant about these things, but I actually like my Discover card and didnt have to jump through hoops or anything to get a GPS. This NUVI goes well with my Vista HCX, which Im letting the 'ol lady use.

Im not recommending this at all, just told everybody I would report back on my personal experience. Glad I did it!!

I have only used handheld units in the past, currently using a Vista HCX with CN 08 NT, but wow, this NUVI is great! So much easier to use in the car and it even talks to you. The screen is big and bright, directions are perfect! Now Im wondering why Im invested in the Vista HCX, I guess I need to do some more hiking or something.....

I have only used handheld units in the past, currently using a Vista HCX with CN 08 NT, but wow, this NUVI is great! So much easier to use in the car and it even talks to you. The screen is big and bright, directions are perfect! Now Im wondering why Im invested in the Vista HCX, I guess I need to do some more hiking or something.....

I also did the free nuvi deal. I already had the vista hcx and I use the Nuvi for going paperless. I still use the Vista as my main geocaching GPSr but I use the nuvi for the car and I just pull it out of my backpack when ever I need more info on a cache. there is a macro plugin that you can use with GSAK that loads all of your caches with all the info, spoiler pics and logs automatically.

I also did the free nuvi deal. I already had the vista hcx and I use the Nuvi for going paperless. I still use the Vista as my main geocaching GPSr but I use the nuvi for the car and I just pull it out of my backpack when ever I need more info on a cache. there is a macro plugin that you can use with GSAK that loads all of your caches with all the info, spoiler pics and logs automatically.

excellent! I'll check out the plug in. Having 2 GPSs seems overkill, but now I can use both which will work great! Thanks for the heads up

Hey... what is the name of the macro plug-in, and is it on the GSAK web site??? TIF

K4HHA

Hey... what is the name of the macro plug-in, and is it on the GSAK web site??? TIF

K4HHA

I believe it's located in the macro list on the GSAK website. Here is a link to the discussion here on the forum.

I did the same thing and it takes about 6 weeks and today I got an e-mail that said it is on its way via UPS. Can't wait to get it so I can cancel the discover card.

Ditto. I received an email about 10 days ago that stated my order was being processed and the GPS would be shipped from Amazon although the email stated it could take up to 10 weeks. How long did it take for y'all to receive?

I did the same thing and it takes about 6 weeks and today I got an e-mail that said it is on its way via UPS. Can't wait to get it so I can cancel the discover card.

Ditto. I received an email about 10 days ago that stated my order was being processed and the GPS would be shipped from Amazon although the email stated it could take up to 10 weeks. How long did it take for y'all to receive?

Mine took about a 3weeks from the above email that you recieved. You should get a shipping notice and tracking number from Amazon when it is actually shipped out.

I signed up last week, got my card today and activated it. while on the phone with discover, their customer service person confirmed its a valid office.....looks like i will be buying something for 1.00 tomorrow!!

customer service said when the first purchase is made, they notify the mygpsoffer people and that whole process of 6-8 weeks starts......I am looking forward to my nuvi!!!

Edited by bnssmith

K4HHA

I believe it's located in the macro list on the GSAK website. Here is a link to the discussion here on the forum.

Well, after wading through the discussion on the link you gave me, and reading through the tutorial, I got my 200 all loaded up and running!!! Thanks for your help...

This may have already been covered here but Ill hash it up again that freebee Nuvi 200 can be set up for paperless caching! I tried it and it works!!! All the cache info can be seen on that nuvi in the extra's section in POI's Even the last few log entries .I didnt even take mine outa the box until I found that out... ITs a little complicated to set up If your like me, (not to computer savy) It was well worth the time spent on doing so.

This is the link to Make it all happen.

http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Hey I signed up and it was right at six weeks to the door.This being my first car gps I can say that it works great no more small screen like the Vista HCX and now paperless Loaded it with the macro for GSAK and I guess the palm pilot will be retired. Oh I was at our local Target today they were closing out the Nuvi 200 for $101.99 I dont no if that is nation wide or just local

I got the initial "Congrats you've activated your card!" email on August 19 (about a week after I made my first purchase with the card), I got the shipping confirmation email 2 days ago on Sept. 22 and the GPS arrived in the mail today. So it took about 6 weeks from the first time I used the card until I had the GPS in hand.

Hardly a fast process but for free, well, I'm not complaining. :ph34r:

I dont recall ever getting an email. I just showed up one day after work and found a box from amazon, with the GPS in it (appoximately 5 weeks from when I first used the card). To be honest I had forgotten all about it- didnt really know if it was legit or not. Worked great!!

Now... what to do with the Vista HCX when not geocashing.....

Edited by highrolla7

So I check my email today and was notified that the billing info was submitted for shipping via ups for the nuvi.

Yes, I also received an email about the Nuvi 200 today. The message said the Nuvi 200 was shipped to me on 6 Oct; it is is being sent from amazon.com via UPS.

FYI, I made my first purchase with the Discover card on 27 August.

Edited by Barrikady

Since my last post I applied for, received and used the discover card. I received the email stating it was activated on Oct 15. Then yesterday I received the email stating it has been shipped with the tracking number. That seems to be pretty fast. I had thought of using it as a Christmas gift but was afraid that I wouldn't get it in time but it looks like I should!!........YIPEE!!

Too bad I was going to do this to get a GPS for my wife but it appears you have to be a new Discover card customer and we already have Sam's Club Discover cards.

Actually you don't. I had a Discover card for years and still signed up for this and got the Nuvi 200. Mine took about 4 weeks from the time I activated the card (ie bought dinner) to when my GPS showed up. As others have mentioned it does come with Cit Nav NT 2009.

I have a 60csx for caching, hunting, hiking, etc with City Nav 09 on it as well. The Nuvi is easier to use in the car since it is touchscreen.

Well i got my Nuvi last night... Guess what its nuvi 270. The only diffrence is that i got more maps on it. Very easy to use. But same time its as basic as they come.. I think my 60cx can do more except talk. Does anyone knows how to remove found addresses??? Im still playing with it.. For the price its a great unit. If i had to pay for it I would pay alittle more and get one even better... Now im also going to try it for paperless geocaching..

Alex

Well i got my Nuvi last night... Guess what its nuvi 270. The only diffrence is that i got more maps on it. Very easy to use. But same time its as basic as they come.. I think my 60cx can do more except talk. Does anyone knows how to remove found addresses??? Im still playing with it.. For the price its a great unit. If i had to pay for it I would pay alittle more and get one even better... Now im also going to try it for paperless geocaching..

Alex

I noticed on the mygpsoffer site the other day that they have upped it to the nuvi 270 now instead of the nuvi 200