Better Fold diagrams

TerryDad2

I've got a set of fold diagrams I've been using on my EarthCaches dealing with folds (see the diagram on GC171QR)

060c09de-c528-434e-9fe1-a7ef9215f138.jpg

I got the diagram from Dr. Judson L. Ahern http://geophysics.ou.edu/dynamic/notes/str.../structure.html. I would like find a different one. that has color and has higher resolution.

I would prefer to use NPS, USGS, or other governmental web site, then some educational (university, public service, etc) site because I think their use policy will be the most amenable to using thier diagrams.

Any suggestions?

sorry, I should have noted before that I just made this today and anyone who would like to use it is free to do so :laughing:

Nice diagram, but if you are going to label limbs, it could use a fold hinge label as well. Also, flat is confusing, because in structural geology, a flat implies a fault that doesn't cut through stratigraphy. A better label might be horizontal.

Edited by shearzone
sorry, I should have noted before that I just made this today and anyone who would like to use it is free to do so :(

Nice diagram, but if you are going to label limbs, it could use a fold hinge label as well. Also, flat is confusing, because in structural geology, a flat implies a fault that doesn't cut through stratigraphy. A better label might be horizontal.

Um, I'll have to look up a fold hinge (don't know what that is). How horizontal?

Um, I'll have to look up a fold hinge (don't know what that is). How horizontal?

Fold hinge is a line within the axial plane, about which the folding takes place. It can have a horizontal plunge, but it doesn't need to be. It can plunge anywhere from 00º to 90º from vertical. Similarly, an axial plane can have a dip between 00º and 90º (in your figure, it appears to be vertical). A door hinge is a good analogy to a fold hinge.

Edited by shearzone

It might be a nice idea to get a number of standard diagrams together and we could have them on www.earthcache.org for everyone to use in their listings. Like a 'diagram' tool box for EarthCache developers. What do you think?

That is a good idea. Set up a process for nominating and approving diagrams, e.g. whether they get posted in the forums approved by peers, or emailed to you and approved by you. Will these 'diagrams' need to be original work, because of copyright issues? Also, consider standardization between diagrams...

Do you have the bandwidth for diagram hosting at EarthCache.org? or will each diagram need to be uploaded to GC by each developer for hosting? If you host the diagrams, they can be embedded on the submittal forms prior to approval.

We have the bandwidth (in fact you can load diagrams already through www.earthcache.org submital form)...

However, I feel we need a process. I think at this stage we will accept submissions of diagrams to EarthCache@geosociety.org. They must be original work and be made copyright free so any and all can use them. The submission must include your full name, address and telephone number.

We will check and approve diagrams for accuracy and relevance. Only those that met our standards for those will be accepted (the judges decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into) and then they will be posted onto the EarthCache website.

How does that sound?

We have the bandwidth (in fact you can load diagrams already through www.earthcache.org submital form)...

However, I feel we need a process. I think at this stage we will accept submissions of diagrams to EarthCache@geosociety.org. They must be original work and be made copyright free so any and all can use them. The submission must include your full name, address and telephone number.

We will check and approve diagrams for accuracy and relevance. Only those that met our standards for those will be accepted (the judges decisions will be final and no correspondence will be entered into) and then they will be posted onto the EarthCache website.

How does that sound?

sounds good!

How does that sound?

Sounds excellent to me. Thanks for offering to do this.

Can they also be linked to the educational resources for teachers page? I know some of my peers would appreciate access to diagrams they know are accurate. Not all science teachers have expertise in Geological Science.

How does that sound?

Great resource.

My thoughts also run to diagrams on NPS sites and the USGS. Both are government agencies and their work is for the public. The NPS is a sponsor of the EarthCache program. I can understand not hosting their pictures. Would a list of relavent NPS and USGS sites with thier subject matter also be useful?

I would still want to be able to give credit to the creators of the artwork. Will that information be available, as real name or as geocaching handle?

Fold hinge is a line within the axial plane, about which the folding takes place. It can have a horizontal plunge, but it doesn't need to be. It can plunge anywhere from 00º to 90º from vertical. Similarly, an axial plane can have a dip between 00º and 90º (in your figure, it appears to be vertical). A door hinge is a good analogy to a fold hinge.

Maybe we should do a fold hinge on a different diagram. Did you mean just change the "flat" text to "horizontal"?

How does that sound?

I would like some correspondence for diagrams that are rejected. Why you ask?

Well it seems that fox-and-the-hound has made a really good diagram that is slightly mislabeled. You wouldn't approve it because it isn't accurate or meet your standards. But with just a small amount of coaching/teaching it can be corrected and is a great diagram.

I finally made the time to update at least one of my fold EarthCaches, Unconformity and Folding at Pismo Beach with the new diagram. I think it works well.

Thanks.

So what is the plan and location for the storage and display of these diagrams on EarthCache.org.

How does that sound?

What is the time frame for having this up and going. I know we keep you busy with submissions.

My next request is oil, gas, and water trapped in an anticline. Such as http://www.geomore.com/Oil%20and%20Gas%20Traps.htm and http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/trap...structural.html

Thanks for any help you give.

Here you go, just check it over for errors or changes needed :o

Nice diagram! If I can make a couple of suggestions, 1) the way you've drawn the diagram, the yellow layer directly above the porous rock is the non porous rock (and should be labeled as such), or else the fluids would migrate there too. 2) Gas, oil and water are generally represented by the colours red, green and blue, respectively in schematic diagrams. Don't ask me why red and green are used for gas and oil, it's just how they do it in the oil patch.

Edited by shearzone

My next request is oil, gas, and water trapped in an anticline. Such as http://www.geomore.com/Oil%20and%20Gas%20Traps.htm and http://www.priweb.org/ed/pgws/systems/trap...structural.html

Thanks for any help you give.

Here you go, just check it over for errors or changes needed :ph34r:

Nice diagram! If I can make a couple of suggestions, 1) the way you've drawn the diagram, the yellow layer directly above the porous rock is the non porous rock (and should be labeled as such), or else the fluids would migrate there too. 2) Gas, oil and water are generally represented by the colours red, green and blue, respectively in schematic diagrams. Don't ask me why red and green are used for gas and oil, it's just how they do it in the oil patch.

I wondered about that, too. I was following the diagram at the link, but it's easy to fix :mad:

RGB? I think that has more to do with old tech than anything else. RGB is standard for xyz coords, default colors in a few hundred older programs, etc. I went with realistic colors except gas (invisible) and just chose to contrast against the rock colors for that one.

I fixed the image for the porous part. If there's a good tech reason to change the colors, I'll try and work out a new color scheme. :mad:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound
RGB? I think that has more to do with old tech than anything else. RGB is standard for xyz coords, default colors in a few hundred older programs, etc. I went with realistic colors except gas (invisible) and just chose to contrast against the rock colors for that one.

I fixed the image for the porous part. If there's a good tech reason to change the colors, I'll try and work out a new color scheme. :ph34r:

No good reason for red, green and blue except for the fact that it is standard oil and gas industry convention. Old tech? Maybe it started that way, but let me assure you those exploring for hydrocarbons are using the best technology available.

Edited by shearzone

I fixed the image for the porous part. If there's a good tech reason to change the colors, I'll try and work out a new color scheme. :ph34r:

No good reason for red, green and blue except for the fact that it is standard oil and gas industry convention. Old tech? Maybe it started that way, but let me assure you those exploring for hydrocarbons are using the best technology available.

Artistic license. I like the 'realistic' colors . And the target audience is the masses not professionals.

These are great. Thanks alot.

I fixed the image for the porous part. If there's a good tech reason to change the colors, I'll try and work out a new color scheme. :unsure:

I hope that didn't come off condescending. It wasn't my intention at all. RGB is a standard all over, but it started as a simple reference tool from RGB monitors/televisions technology. RGB (Red/Green/Blue) is a standard in pretty much everything electronic and has been around since the beginning of color tv invention. CMYK (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black) is the printed media standard. I guess I should have said old school, not old-tech. I have the latest multi-media software available and it uses RGB as a base, but now of course has about a dozen new versions including LAB which is quickly becoming the end-all-be-all of color reference. RGB is of course used for dimensional mathematics which is probably how it became a standard in geology, but I'll have to research that to be sure. In mathematics and 3d modeling technology RGB=XYZ or layman's terms Red (X) = horizontal measurement, Green (Y) = vertical measurement and Blue (Z) = depth measurement.

So no slight intended, I was just trying to make it easy to understand for someone who has as little education in earth science as myself :ph34r: