DSLR with your gear?

infiniteMPG

Having stepped over into the world of DSLR cameras I have been extremely reluctant to haul my new Sony A100 into the brush or on the water in the 'yak with me. Unfortunately the times I don't haul it, I regret it as we see beautiful sights while caching. Does anyone out there haul a full-sized camera (not a mini-digital) with them as they geocache and if so, how do you protect your investment from getting banged up while keeping it at the ready to shoot while hiking in sometimes rough terrain or hot or wet weather conditions?

I'm already usually hauling a pack (full or waist) with supplies, GSPr, PDA, cell phone, batteries, hiking stick and the usual. Don't know how to safely do this but hate missing a photo opportunity. Been debating picking up a weather-proof/water-proof PAS for just trips but don't like the limitations.

Edited by infiniteMPG
Most of my hiking spots are dry, so I haven't worried about a waterproof case, when I bring my Nikon D-50 with me. I'm glad I bring it with me, I enjoy hiking and taking pictures
Yeah, that's the problem here in west central Florida this time of year. Beautiful weather when you head out, not a cloud in the sky. 30 minutes later this one black cloud rolls over and dumps 3" of rain on you before you can get half-way back to the Jeep and blasts lightning strikes all around. And I often take my old Z3 but it's held together with JB Weld and inner tube tire cuttings but when I have it out and the sun is out, I get the overheating message on the display and have to pack it for a while as the sun will bake the camera, too.

Don't you get heat issues with your camera as I believe most manuals state "DO NOT EXPOSE TO DIRECT SUN"?

I have this bag. It can accommodate my DSLR an extra lens plus my geoware. I can tell you the 100 is too small. If you travel lightly the 200 will be fine. The 300 is pretty darn big. I had the 100, upgraded to the 200, and a friend has the 300. All these bags have the rainfly sewn in to the bottom back pouch. You pull the fly out and stretch it over the bag. Works great.

Edited by Team Four Paw

I just use a Canon A570 when out there. It's not as good as a DSLR for serious photography, but it does have

aperture priority, shutter priority and manual settings as well as an option for manual focus. It's not waterproof so I have a inexpensive waterproof camera bag for it.

I lugged an SLR around for years with the extra lenses and it's just so much easier with a PAS and at least the A570 does give me the option for a level of creativity not available with most PAS cameras.

Edited by briansnat

A great quote I once read or heard or something:

"The good photo you took with the cheap miniature camera you carried with you is a lot better than the great photo you didn't take with the expensive SLR you left at home."

Nothing against DSLRs; they take superior pictures. But when out caching, I take my teeny little Canon because it lives in the backpack and is always there when I spot something I want a picture of.

Don't you get heat issues with your camera as I believe most manuals state "DO NOT EXPOSE TO DIRECT SUN"?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I use my DSLR for Geocaching, as I don't have a digital point and shoot, but I only take it while on bigger caching trips. Yes, I do find myself wishing I had a lighter camera, and I occasionally take some heavy f2.8 lenses. I generally carry it in a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack.

I have been debating this allot on weather to carry my Canon DSLR or my Sons Canon Point and shoot. I pretty much look at it this way I will take my DSLR if I know for 100% that I will not be in an area that has lots of water. If we are trekking in around an area that is a possibility of dropping DSLR we will take in the Point and shoot. Lot cheaper to replace. I know every Time I leave my DSLR behind I find something I wanted to take a picture of that the PS will not be able to do. I.E. Telephoto lens shots.

I used haul around an SLR. I had 3 lenses, various filters, an external flash...big case. I recently got a Canon point & shoot that I love.

I either keep it in my pack, or if we're in an area where I want to take a lot of photos, I hang the camera bag around my neck and have it at the ready at all times. There are almost no caches where it doesn't go with me.

While I'm sure it was quite an investment, your A100 is really just an imaging tool. Throw that strap around your neck and take it caching.

I tote my Pentax K10D just about everywhere, and while it has had some thumps and has gotten a little wet, it keeps on ticking. With the kit zoom and/or a small 50mm lens your A100 should be pretty small and easy to haul. A little waistpack might help, plus you could stash other junk in there as well.

I picked up this bag recently at Circuit City:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rezo-120-AW,2004,20.htm

It's perfect for me, as it fits a Canon rebel XTI with a prime lens (but might be too small for a Canon 40D, or any sort of telephoto lens). It has a waterproof cover which folds up inside, and may or may not be effective in a downpour, but I've tested it in light rain, and it works great.

Edited by dcrep

I have this bag. It can accommodate my DSLR an extra lens plus my geoware.

Another LowePro 200 user here, and it is the only bag I use. I carry my Canon DSLR, a couple of lenses, and a small tripod (gorilla) in the main compartment; the rest of my "caching gear" fits in the other compartments. I carry my palm and 60csx on my belt.

Yes it is an expensive camera; but for me, taking pictures is high on my priority list. I was afraid to take it anywhere when I first bought it, but then I realized that's what I bought it for. Some really good photo's have come from some tough caching DNF's - photo's that I couldn't have pulled off with a little P & S.

Edited by tnt4utvols
I really shouldn't have to say this, but: KEEP THE STRAP AROUND YOUR NECK! When I'm shooting photojournalism or sports, I wrap it around my wrist which still keeps it relatively secure.
I have a Tamron AF 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II Macro Lens along with my A100 and it's a good all purpose lens. I have a problem with the way it hangs from the strap as the lens is heavy enough to hang down from the tourist level position about half way down. Wish it would hang all the way down as it just bounces around half down and half not as I walk. I prefer the wrist straps but I would imaging that gets in the way when signing a log or opening an ammo can.

I have started using a mono-pod for my camera as some focusing issues I have been having seem to get fixed when I have it on the mono-pod rather then just hanging on to it. I was thinking of using that for my hiking stick rather then my nice GC stick I picked up in the Blueridge Mountains.

One other thing I have issue with is when I bring my better camera gear my GF wants to keep moving, on foot or in the 'yaks, and I want to snap shots, so we end up with me hiking or paddling way in front so when I stop to shoot our speed balances out. :)

I really shouldn't have to say this, but: KEEP THE STRAP AROUND YOUR NECK! When I'm shooting photojournalism or sports, I wrap it around my wrist which still keeps it relatively secure.
I have a Tamron AF 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II Macro Lens along with my A100 and it's a good all purpose lens. I have a problem with the way it hangs from the strap as the lens is heavy enough to hang down from the tourist level position about half way down. Wish it would hang all the way down as it just bounces around half down and half not as I walk. I prefer the wrist straps but I would imaging that gets in the way when signing a log or opening an ammo can.

How much do you use it at telephoto? You may be able to work with a shorter and ligher lens, something like the 18-70 lens.

I routinely have my Canon 20d with me.

While caching, I leave the bulk of my gear at home to lighten the load. The only lens that I typically use while caching is my Canon 28-135 IS. I find it to be a really good 'walking around' lens.

Generally, I carry the camera using one of two methods. It is either in the bottom compartment of my Tamrac Adventure 7 photo backpack (with geocaching junk in top):

h6295547Gp.jpg

or in a simple padded holster-type bag:

204580715.jpg

I am considering buying a LowePro Off Road bag to split the difference.

51WWP4EFSAL.jpg

There's no point in owning a camera that you're afraid to take outside. That's why I like my Nikon D100... it's a tool. It's going to get scratched and dinged and every once in a while will take a good hit. Photojournalists like the folks who shoot for National Geographic have carried Nikons into all the wet, dirty, dusty and dangerous corners of the world for decades. That being said, I carry mine caching regularly, and usually with three lenses in tow. It's been carried on many boats, but never a kayak (of course I've never been in a kayak). Tools get beat around a bit, and that's OK. Just make sure your tools are up to the game.

DCC

How much do you use it at telephoto? You may be able to work with a shorter and ligher lens, something like the 18-70 lens.
Actually I'm really hooked on macro shots and sometimes wish I had a better macro lens but the 18-250 was a good all-purpose lens. It's pretty compact when closed (even though I totally HATE the zoom slide lock on the Tamron). I liked the Super Macro setting on my old Z3 as the focal distance was down to less then 1/2" and you could still use the digital zoom.

As far as the bags, are they weather proof? If I had my camera gear in there and it poured, would they keep the contents dry?

Also, what I was looking at was a Pentax Optio W60. It's a 10.1MP PAS with a 5X optical zoom, can operate to 14-degrees F and can work at depths down to 13-feet in water for 2-hours. It's around $300 but if it saves me from destroying my A100 then it's a good insurance policy and no bother about the weather or hauling it 'yaking without a case.

... As far as the bags, are they weather proof? If I had my camera gear in there and it poured, would they keep the contents dry?

The bags I use keep my gear dry in the rain.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were climbing up the great wall when the sky opened up. I stuffed the camera into my adventure 7 pack and it road out the monsoon without issue. My wife and I, on the other hand, only had disposable ponchos that we purchased on-site. They tore apart as we were putting them on and we got drenched.

2837350144_cbdba76011.jpg

Edited by sbell111

I'm a photographer so I take my camera everywhere. It's a risk that I could get it mucked up in the environment. It's also a risk that I could trip over some hose and break it on impact at a fire scene. I could also trip over my own feet in my livingroom and have the same happen. Can you imagine my panic when I see the three year-old wandering around with my camera, pretending to be mommy?

My best recommendation would be to buy a good padded camera bag (backpack style if you have enough equipment to justify it) and try not to fall down a mountain or get it submerged in water. You may be able to buy armor for the camera body that will add extra protection if it gets dropped. You'd have to search around.

Most of the time, I walk with the camera around my neck. I hold it steady with my left hand and carry my GPS in my right hand. My GPS gets slung around a wrist or handed off to someone if I need to take a photo along the way. When I get to a cache, I set the bag down and put the camera and GPS into the bag. My pen and notebook are in the bag and I need both those when I'm logging a cache, so it's almost a system at this point.

The camera provides great stealth for muggles no matter where you are.

Oh, and I haven't bought insurance for my Canon or its lenses, although it'd break my heart if one of my lenses got scratched.

- Elle

Actually I'm really hooked on macro shots and sometimes wish I had a better macro lens but the 18-250 was a good all-purpose lens. It's pretty compact when closed (even though I totally HATE the zoom slide lock on the Tamron). I liked the Super Macro setting on my old Z3 as the focal distance was down to less then 1/2" and you could still use the digital zoom.

Do you want a general purpose lens with macro settings, or a dedicated macro lens? For a general purpose lens with macro settings, I would recommend the 17-70 Sigma, or if you don't miss wideangle that much, but want something longer, the 24-135 Tamron. For a dedicated macro, any 90 to 105mm macro lens is your best choice.

I'm a photographer so I take my camera everywhere. It's a risk that I could get it mucked up in the environment. It's also a risk that I could trip over some hose and break it on impact at a fire scene. I could also trip over my own feet in my livingroom and have the same happen. Can you imagine my panic when I see the three year-old wandering around with my camera, pretending to be mommy?
Yeah, I can imagine that as I have a nice little gadget bag I keep my old Z3 and related gear in. Was in a rush to get out the door and when I slung it on my shoulder I felt something hit my foot. I looked down to see my micro USB cable on the ground. At the same instant it registered that my pack wasn't zipped, my Z3 tumbled out onto the carpet (but on concrete) and pieces went flying. As I have said before, it's literally held together with superglue, JB Weld, and a couple of cut pieces of bicycle inner tubes.... and it still works even after going to the bottom of the Little Manatee River once. Just don't want my A100 to end up in the same shape.
My best recommendation would be to buy a good padded camera bag (backpack style if you have enough equipment to justify it) and try not to fall down a mountain.....
Uhhhh, Elle, I'm about 40 miles north of you down there in No' Po'..... mountains? hehehehehe
Most of the time, I walk with the camera around my neck. I hold it steady with my left hand and carry my GPS in my right hand. My GPS gets slung around a wrist or handed off to someone if I need to take a photo along the way. When I get to a cache, I set the bag down and put the camera and GPS into the bag. My pen and notebook are in the bag and I need both those when I'm logging a cache, so it's almost a system at this point.
Guess I need to work out a system. Right now I'm trying to find a new strap or a way to sling my camera over my shoulder, have it readily accessible, but mount a strap so it's not sitting at a 45-degree angle on my side. The lens is too heavy for it to face straight out, but not heavy enough to face straight down....
The camera provides great stealth for muggles no matter where you are.
Been there, done that... many times. And when no camera is in hand, a cell phone works well.
Do you want a general purpose lens with macro settings, or a dedicated macro lens? For a general purpose lens with macro settings, I would recommend the 17-70 Sigma, or if you don't miss wideangle that much, but want something longer, the 24-135 Tamron. For a dedicated macro, any 90 to 105mm macro lens is your best choice.
I have a Tamron AF 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II Macro Lens and it's good on both ends of the spectrum. I dropped the extra buck$$$ and got it so I wouldn't have to continually swap out lenses. If I got another lens it would have to be dedicated macro. I think I looked at the Sigma you referenced when shopping but I would of had to buy (and haul) another lens to compliment it. I had a bunch of lenses left from my 35mm days from my Maxxum 9000 but didn't realize until after I got the A100 that the old film lenses weren't really suited (and didn't work well) with the digital body. Hated that, too, as I dumped some really nice lenses like a sweet 500mm Vivitar mirror lens with a doubler (1000mm) :laughing:

I opted for compromise. On so many of my travels, when I would encounter a particularly photographic scene, by the time I dried my hands, reached around to the back of my 'yak, opened the Pelican case, extracted my Olympus and fired it up, the scene would be gone. I have since invested in one of the waterproof Olympus digitals which fits into my pocket. While the picture quality has suffered somewhat, at least I get the shot.

I just experienced the heartbreak of geo-related camera destruction. I slipped and fell hiking the 150 yards from "Sanctuary" to my bike, and my beloved little Lumix LX1, snug in its waist pack, got crushed beneath the Mule. Screen busted, frame bent. This camera's been with me on hikes, climbs and mountain bike adventures, but a fluke fall did it in. (Moment of silence.)

Looking for the silver lining, maybe death-by-misadventure beats old age and obsolescence. For the camera, too :laughing:

I've pre-ordered a Lumix LX3.

I agree with the risks and sorry to hear of the problems some folks have had hauling their large cameras along. Maybe this thread is better directed towards what's the best camera to haul along on geocaching adventures. I had stated I was looking at the Pentax Optio W60 as it's not only sturdy but waterproof (not just water resistant). I have seen some PAS cameras that are rated to be able to handle getting banged around and are weatherproof (a better term then water proof as weather proof involves things like temperature extremes, too).

Not familiar with the Lumix LX3 but I'll check into that. Any other photo-cachers out there with a recommendation?

Editing this as I just looked up the Olympus Stylus 850 SW... water proof and supposedly with a floating circuit card that can handle drops from up to 5-feet without damage. Anyone have experience with this?

Edited by infiniteMPG
Editing this as I just looked up the Olympus Stylus 850 SW... water proof and supposedly with a floating circuit card that can handle drops from up to 5-feet without damage. Anyone have experience with this?

That's the new & improved version of mine, the 770 SW. It has certainly taken a beating, and I've shot underwater with it. As I mentioned before, it was a compromise. The Stylus line will not get you the award winning shots that you're used to getting from your DSLR, but it will survive in your shirt pocket if you flip your kayak, sweat overly much or get caught in the rain. The picture quality is better than any other point & shoot I've seen. The farthest I've dropped mine is about 25 feet, but it landed on fairly soft ground. When I finally do kill this one, I'll probably get the 1030 SW.

(But it ain't no DSLR) :(

Edited by Clan Riffster
<snip> Maybe this thread is better directed towards what's the best camera to haul along on geocaching adventures. <snip>

That's easy - it's whichever one you'll use. Better to get the shot than not.

I've used everything from a box camera to a Graflex 4x5 to a Vito B to a Rolleiflex twin lens and a Mamiya 645. My Nikon D70 is usually with me and so is my Canon S50. I'll take whatever I'm willing to carry at the time and I'll generally pack only one lens with the D70 when hiking - a 28-200 Nikkor.

When I finally do kill this one, I'll probably get the 1030 SW.(But it ain't no DSLR) :(
Okay, now the 1030 SW is one tough cookie. The only drawback I see is it only has a 3.6X optical zoom while the Pentax Optio W60 is also 10MP but has a 5X optical zoom that doesn't extend out of the body. Can't see to find on the 1030 but the W60 doesn't have a built in lens cover so the face of the lens is exposed all the time. Do you know if the 1030 SW has a lens cover? If it's meant to take a beating I would imagine it does, but glass can only handle so much scratching....
The biggest thing I don't care for about the Oly point and shoots is that they generally use the xD cards instead of the more common SD cards for memory, though some have dual slots, one for SD and one for xD. The water resistant Pentax's use SD.

Yup, the Pentax uses the SD but the Olympus Stylus series uses the microSD. I agree, microSD isn't very rugged.

Seems like a tough call between the 1030 SW and the Optio W60. The 1030 SW seems more rugged and has an automatic lens cover but the W60 has a 5X optical zoom rather then the 3.6X and uses the SD card while both of them have super-macro settings that allow focusing under 1".....Hmmmm.....

The biggest thing I don't care for about the Oly point and shoots is that they generally use the xD cards instead of the more common SD cards for memory, though some have dual slots, one for SD and one for xD. The water resistant Pentax's use SD.

Yup, the Pentax uses the SD but the Olympus Stylus series uses the microSD. I agree, microSD isn't very rugged.

Seems like a tough call between the 1030 SW and the Optio W60. The 1030 SW seems more rugged and has an automatic lens cover but the W60 has a 5X optical zoom rather then the 3.6X and uses the SD card while both of them have super-macro settings that allow focusing under 1".....Hmmmm.....

Out of curiousity, those of you that are using SD and microSD, how fast is you shooting? My a350 uses high speed compact flash which the one i am using right now writes at 133x and i can get off about 3 shots a second with that. Was thinking about trying one of the new 8gb 300x cards and see if it is any different.

Out of curiousity, those of you that are using SD and microSD, how fast is you shooting? My a350 uses high speed compact flash which the one i am using right now writes at 133x and i can get off about 3 shots a second with that. Was thinking about trying one of the new 8gb 300x cards and see if it is any different.

I think microSD cards only come in one speed. They are mostly used for cell phones, certain portable gaming systems, and gps units, none of which demand much speed. SD cards come in muitiple speeds, though not as high as CF cards yet. You're not likely to gain much by using the 300x card, as few cameras use the protocol that allows that kind of speed, mostly high end cameras like the Nikon D3 or Canon's high end models. Also, the burst rate is generally restricted more by the camera than the card. The only place you might see a speed gain is in image transfer from the memory card to the computer, and only with certain card readers. BTW, I highly recommend using a card reader if you are not already, as it saves battery life, and it's likely to be faster in moving images to the computer, as most, if not all use USB 2.0, while many older cameras still use USB 1.1, like my D70. Plus, with another memory card, you can still use the camera.

Edited by Dwoodford

I think microSD cards only come in one speed. They are mostly used for cell phones, certain portable gaming systems, and gps units, none of which demand much speed. SD cards come in muitiple speeds, though not as high as CF cards yet. You're not likely to gain much by using the 300x card, as few cameras use the protocol that allows that kind of speed, mostly high end cameras like the Nikon D3 or Canon's high end models. Also, the burst rate is generally restricted more by the camera than the card. The only place you might see a speed gain is in image transfer from the memory card to the computer, and only with certain card readers. BTW, I highly recommend using a card reader if you are not already, as it saves battery life, and it's likely to be faster in moving images to the computer, as most, if not all use USB 2.0, while many older cameras still use USB 1.1, like my D70. Plus, with another memory card, you can still use the camera.

I'll have to check and see what Sony says the diff. would be. I know it does use high speed protocol for putting the images onto the card. I know if you dont use a high speed CF card it will not shoot bursts. I tested it with one so i know that at least between non high speed and high speed there is a huge difference.

A great quote I once read or heard or something:

"The good photo you took with the cheap miniature camera you carried with you is a lot better than the great photo you didn't take with the expensive SLR you left at home."

Nothing against DSLRs; they take superior pictures. But when out caching, I take my teeny little Canon because it lives in the backpack and is always there when I spot something I want a picture of.

Not to get off thread - but that is so true. I missed two great shots (probably more!) in the past because I was tired and decided to leave the camera behind.

I usually bring my dSLR, but also have a good Nikon coolpix I use if I need to travel light. I always cary a plastic bag to deal with those unexpected showers.

As for being 'on the water', I have not dealt with that, but have started thinking about it.

Happy hunting...

ParTimCmpr

I'll have to check and see what Sony says the diff. would be. I know it does use high speed protocol for putting the images onto the card. I know if you dont use a high speed CF card it will not shoot bursts. I tested it with one so i know that at least between non high speed and high speed there is a huge difference.

The camera's buffer size and the size of the images that you are saving also play into this. My 20d shoots 5 pics a second, but can only burst 7 pics in RAW before the buffer fills. Switching to the largest sized JPG allows me to shoot about 25 pics in a burst before the buffer fills and I have to slow down to about 2 per second. Swapping out the card to a high speed CF increases this number, but still doesn't guarantee that I won't max out the buffer.

A few weeks ago, my wife and I were at the gymnastics finals and I often maxed out the buffer shooting in the biggest JPG and saving to an ultra high-speed card.

I would think that a good, reliable point-n-shoot would make more sense for geocaching.

I have a Canon Elph Powershot SD700IS that seems ideal for this sport. When I'm strapping on my "battle gear", I always include the belt-mounted case and camera. It rides there unnoticed until I need it.

I wouldn't want to be lugging a Lowe backpack with camera gear, or have one dangling in front on a neckstrap when I'm poking around. Too clumsy.

I would make trips with the DSLR separate from caching. Perhaps note a good location in a notebook for returning later with the high-powered gear. But given the nature of geocaching - documenting locations and not artistic photography, I would stick with a good P&S instead.

The camera's buffer size and the size of the images that you are saving also play into this. My 20d shoots 5 pics a second, but can only burst 7 pics in RAW before the buffer fills. Switching to the largest sized JPG allows me to shoot about 25 pics in a burst before the buffer fills and I have to slow down to about 2 per second. Swapping out the card to a high speed CF increases this number, but still doesn't guarantee that I won't max out the buffer. A few weeks ago, my wife and I were at the gymnastics finals and I often maxed out the buffer shooting in the biggest JPG and saving to an ultra high-speed card.
Guess I still kind of have a personal debate on when to shoot in RAW or JPG.... Unless I'm totally displeased with the compression the camera itself does it's just a lot of photo editing after the fact on a ton of pictures.

I would think that a good, reliable point-n-shoot would make more sense for geocaching....I wouldn't want to be lugging a Lowe backpack with camera gear, or have one dangling in front on a neckstrap when I'm poking around. Too clumsy.
Agree on that because even recently I have had my A100 hanging from my shoulder and trucking thru the brush caught the strap on a branch and had it yanked off my shoulder, just barely grabbing on in time to keep the DSLR from crashing on some rocks.

Then again an almost embarrassing story from yesterday, too. Doing some cache maintenance and replaced one on a nice local pier. Nice restrooms on the way out so I made a pit stop. No coat hooks to hang my camera on, no shelves or bins or anything and being at the beach, the floor was soaked. I looked around and the sink was clean and dry so I started to set my A100 in these so it wouldn't dump on the floor and didn't realize the faucet was an automatic one. While starting to set it down the water came on full force but luckily the camera was not under the stream. That would of been a major dee-dee-deeeee move. :blink: