garmin GPSMAP 60csx - old versus new

GPS-Hermit

Now that Garmin makes their own receivers for the 60CSX I am wondering if anyone has compared the old ones versus the new ones in any test.

Since their is complaints that he COL and OREGON has a wandering track log I was wondering if the 60CSX does as well.

60CSx has Sirf Star III. Have you seen any evidence that they've changed chips in later models? Their web site pretty plainly says it's Sirf.

In the units where they've changed chips, they've always been careful to *not* say what's in them. With Sirf's current legal and financial situation, I can understand why they'd be nervous about staying on that train, but would be a little surprised if they revved this model to be Sirf-free.

(That said, companies surprise me all the time....)

From Garmin.

The 60CSX HSR was manufactured by a

different company and now we manufacture them ourselves. The performance

is the same.

This was in an email I got from Garmin - which makes me wonder if the performance really is the same.

Since the COL and OREGON are drifting in the tracklog compared to the 60csx. I just wonder if the 60csx is the same before and after or worse. While the 60csx has been great in the past. I just wonder if it still is as great as it was. I would live to see an older one compared against the Newer one to see if any difference shows up in the Track log. I love to track and was disappointed to hear report the tract wander on the COL and Oregon. I bet the same HSR is in the 60csx now. I am writing for more info.

60CSx has Sirf Star III. Have you seen any evidence that they've changed chips in later models? Their web site pretty plainly says it's Sirf.

Robert, I remember the same but when I looked here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310 this morning I see the following with no mentioned of Sirf. I'm guessing Sirf's latest financial woes has scared off even Garmin?

The GPSMAP 60CSx adds several performance-enhancing features to the popular 60-series products, including a removable microSD™ card, high-sensitivity GPS receiver, barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

Pinpoint Your Location — and Direction

With the GPSMAP 60CSx, you can find your way in almost any conditions:

* High-sensitivity GPS receiver gives you improved satellite reception even in heavy tree cover or deep canyons

GO$Rs

Robert, I remember the same but when I looked here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310 this morning I see the following with no mentioned of Sirf. I'm guessing Sirf's latest financial woes has scared off even Garmin?

I doubt any of the other GPS chips would be a drop-in. But given the small PCB, shouldn't take to long to create a new version. However, if they substitute a Microtek, I predict drift.

This would place Garmin's most reliable GPS squarely into the CO/Vista HCx anything is acceptable camp.

Does anyone out there have a new one to compare to the older ones. We need to find out when the change took place to run an evaluation. The reason I feel this is important is because so often the community is comparing the new COL and OREGON or even other manufactures against the 60csx. So now we need to know if the test should be against an older 60csx. We are losing the base model for a good test.

Edited by GPS-Hermit
Does anyone out there have a new one to compare to the older ones. We need to find out when the change took place to run an evaluation. The reason I feel this is important is because so often the community is comparing the new COL and OREGON or even other manufactures against the 60csx. So now we need to know if the test should be against an older 60csx. We are losing the base model for a good test.
I predict it'll take 6-months for new/redesigned 60/76's to show up at retail. Easy to change a website, hardware takes a mite longer. The Sirf patent issues just surfaced a few weeks ago.

If someone does have a new 60csx it would be interesting to see if the splash screens still identify "Sirf Technology, Inc 2005" and what the version of GPS software it is using (the current Sirf version is 3.0)

GO$Rs

From Garmin today:

Yes, now we manufacture all High Sensitivity Receivers. We have been

doing that for over a year or so. Yes, it is the same technology as the

earlier HSR's.

So based on this we have some time frames and I would bet they are on the market and splash screens may indicate something different. So I say we need to know - if there is a drift going on in the new ones as compared to the older ones and maybe use the splash screen to tell which is which. I hope that is the right way to do it.

I liked the test I say in the Forums comparing the COL to the 60csx Track log that show the tracts in different colors with Col wandering pretty bad at times, wonder how new that 60csx was.

If someone does have a new 60csx it would be interesting to see if the splash screens still identify "Sirf Technology, Inc 2005" and what the version of GPS software it is using (the current Sirf version is 3.0)

GO$Rs

Since ya asked, and it was handy...my almost 1-month old (in my hands anyway) 76 csx splashscreen sez:

Copyright SiRF Technology, Inc 2005

SW version 3.7

GPS SW version 3.0

I just bought a 60csx from Amazon and it was delivered yesterday. All over the Amazon page specs it lists the Sirf III chip. Playing wiht it yeterday, nowhere does it say Sirf in any of the literature, on any of the software screens, or on the start up screen. I'm guessing the one I have is NOT a sirf set up. Makes me nervous now that it's not going to be as fantastic as I thought....... should I be worried?

-Danny T

I just bought a 60csx from Amazon and it was delivered yesterday. All over the Amazon page specs it lists the Sirf III chip. Nowhere does it say Sirf in any of the literature, on any of the software screens, or on the start up screen.

I bought my 60Cx in the spring of 2006, I don't remember it saying much if anything in the manual about it being a sirfIII chipset. I did notice the Sirf logo on the side of the box it came in though.

I doubt garmin would redesign and replace the chipset in these units. It would make much more sense to discontinue a three year old model and just come out with something new.... oh ya they already have, the Colorado and Oregon models.

As mentioned in a post above the Sirf logo is still displayed on the bottom of this page.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310

Edited by hogrod

nowhere does it say Sirf in any of the literature, on any of the software screens, or on the start up screen.

Look closely at the first startup screen, 2nd line from the bottom. On mine (early model, purchased in 2006) it says:

"Copyright SiRF Technology, 2005"

It would be very interesting if that has changed on recent models.

Looking back at JBnW's earlier post in this thread, I see that in his the SW versions are now listed on the startup screen; he has 3.70 and I am still at 3.60, so what is shown was changed between 3.60 and 3.70. Have you got a later SW version? They may have simply deleted the SiRF copyright in an update to the firmware.

Edited by Hertzog

nowhere does it say Sirf in any of the literature, on any of the software screens, or on the start up screen.

Look closely at the first startup screen, 2nd line from the bottom. On mine (early model, purchased in 2006) it says:

Looking back at JBnW's earlier post in this thread, I see that in his the SW versions are now listed on the startup screen; he has 3.70 and I am still at 3.60, so what is shown was changed between 3.60 and 3.70. Have you got a later SW version? They may have simply deleted the SiRF copyright in an update to the firmware.

I have the 3.70/3.00 firmware combination, and the SiRF copyright notice still displays on the first startup screen. My 60CSx dates to spring 2006, FWIW.

--Larry

I have the 3.70/3.00 firmware combination, and the SiRF copyright notice still displays on the first startup screen. My 60CSx dates to spring 2006, FWIW.

--Larry

Well, this is weird. My girlfriend just bought her own 60CSx, it arrived just this week. It's splash screen says the SIRF thing on it and the software version is 3.60 and GPS SW Version is 3.00.

My 60CSX (which I've owned almost 2 years) says Software Version 3.10 and GPS SW Version 2.90.

I very much wonder what the difference is, and if I should update.