Strange profile shows up on brand new OR 400t

flarbear

I had to replace my OR when it started crashing when I squeezed the case. I just got done updating and registering the new one and went to customize the profiles.

When I went to the profile list I had a profile named "Reackeatdijal" (or something like that, I already deleted it). Hmmm? Sounds like someone was playing with a copy of the "Recreational" profile and changed its name with some random characters and left it on there. But when?

So, I went to look at the "current track" which should have been nearly empty. Plotting it on the map showed pretty much a straight line from Kansas to my home in SF so it didn't have any side trips. I chose to save a part of it so I could see how many segments it had recorded and discovered 2 segments from today in my home when I was playing with it, and 1 earlier segment from June in Kansas - probably when it was going through some sort of QA...?

These boxes aren't sealed so I suppose someone at REI could have played with it in the store and turned it off without it ever getting a signal lock, but it didn't seem like it had been disturbed when I opened the box. The only other theory that makes sense is that someone was playing with it in QA at Garmin and left a little bizarre customization behind?

Anybody else open a "brand new" unit and see evidence of someone having done something with it? Anybody else have an inexplicable "Reackatdigjal" profile in their list? :)

I could believe it was a return/sell except for the fact that the initial track went straight from Olathe KS to my apartment - do not pass GO, do not collect $200 at the REI store where I got it - just a straight line from one to the other.

Now, a refurb - maybe, but the date on the track in KS was June. I don't know anyone who could have returned a unit in June, unless it was a refurb on a beta unit?