Is there a way to get the Vista HCX to stop drawing straight track log lines all over my maps?!?

dstedman

I'm tired of my maps looking like I've flown over the entire area in an airplane. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - you turn off your GPS, turn it back on after moving somewhere else, and boom - you have a straight line between where you turned it off and your new location. Why has Garmin decided to invent data for you? Seems like there should be a setting so that it doesn't "connect the dots" everytime you turn the GPS off and on.

Anyone know of a fix? I won't even comment on the whole drift/firmware issue. I will say that while this is the most feature-laden handheld GPS I've owned, it's also had the most problems for me. The latest firmware seems to have helped a bit, but in addition to the drift & mileage variations I get tired of things like the fact that if you are going less than 1.5 MPH (say, in a canoe while trolling) it wants to alternate between 1.5 and 0 MPH constantly. I know I'm not changing speed. Seriously...

In my experience, those erratic tracklogs are the result of low batteries. Either put in a set of new alkalines or charge your existing NiMH's. Also be sure that the battery type is set correctly, as the voltage is different.

Naw - this is the line you get between two points after turning off the gps for a while, then turning it back on at a different location. It's a straight line & it's Garmin's way of playing connect the dots. Does it in the car when plugged in as well. Thanks, though.

On a Magellan if you wait about 5 hours, it will not connect the segments. But if you wait nearly a day, or multiples of days, and are within +/-5 hours of the time when you last turned it off then it will connect those segments.

Magellans actually do not have multiple segments, when you download a track file it's just a whole lot of <trkpt> points within one <trkseg></trkseg> block, Garmins do have multiple segments and therefore they shouldn't aLL ber connected on a unit.

Sounds to me like the programmers at Garmin are not always 1000% better than those hacks at Magellan.

On a Magellan if you wait about 5 hours, it will not connect the segments. But if you wait nearly a day, or multiples of days, and are within +/-5 hours of the time when you last turned it off then it will connect those segments.

Magellans actually do not have multiple segments, when you download a track file it's just a whole lot of <trkpt> points within one <trkseg></trkseg> block, Garmins do have multiple segments and therefore they shouldn't aLL ber connected on a unit.

Sounds to me like the programmers at Garmin are not always 1000% better than those hacks at Magellan.

Yeah - it is silly. I'd like to not have to go through a bunch of menu items to tell it to do something that every Garmin GPS that I have ever owned before it has never done. I like seeing the tracks of places I have been, and I use my Vista HCX mostly in the car.

Really strange that a programmer would have decided that it would be a good idea to link every coordinate together. Understandable if the GPS loses satellite signal for a few minutes, but when I turn it off I am telling it "I'm not interested in anything that happens between now and when I turn it on again!". :-)

I did figure out something interesting. It only connects the dots when the GPS turns itself off after losing power from my car. Meaning that if I manually turn it off when I turn off the car instead of letting it time down the 30 seconds after power disconnect, I don't get the dots connected. So this is a pretty easy thing to do to keep it from happening...

dan