Facebook anti-geocaching page

steve p

There is a group on Facebook that promotes destroying caches.

The page says things like:

"Lets stop people from littering our beautiful contryside with lunch boxes filled with tripe! And its a boring pass time, I think I would rather die than be a geocacher"

and

"Trash a cache Save the world"

and

"*proudly trashing geocaching*"

The page also displays the geocaching logo, which is probably an unauthorized use.

If anyone here has an account on Facebook please take a few seconds to report this page to Facebook and try to have it taken down. There is a link at the bottom of that group's page to "Report Group." I reported the group with the reason "Attacks individual or group," since that was the most applicable. I wrote in text that this group promotes and incites individuals to destroy private property that is used in the geocaching game.

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6260992578

I don't know, their wall has whopping 11 posts, the most recent in January. Might be best to let sleeping dogs lie.

It'd be interesting to know, though, if Leeds has had a problem with disappearing caches.

They're just playing the game their way. Sorry, can never resist that one. :rolleyes: Yeah, no posts since January, probably some kid from Leeds UK, made the group one night, and a bunch of his friends commented. I'd ignore it. Except of course, if I was TPTB, then I'd complain about their official logo being used.

I doubt that reporting the group to Facebook will give them any attention, unless Facebook sends the groups information when they are reported. They won't even know they have been reported unless Facebook shuts them down.

'Zackly! And, this is hardly new. As I recall, there have been anti-geocaching websites on the mainstream parts of the Internet as well, and they have all passed away with time, with little fanfare. And, interestingly, it seems that most or all of these anti-geocaching websites and groups have been started by ex-geocachers who eventually committed geocide.

And for those folks who are thinking of joining the Facebook group in order to keep tabs on it, well, two things to consider first:

• first, your joining the list group inflates their membership roster.
  • next, if you have your Facebook main page and Privacy/sharing protocols set up the same way as do most Facebook members, once you join the group, it will forever appear as one of your "Groups" in the "Groups" section on your profile page, and thus, you will be advertising their group, and it may also appear to some that you are endorsing their group or its agenda. ...just something to consider....

In my opinion, passing by the group is the best thing to do. Giving attention to them will only encourage them to carry on the group. If you give it enough contemplation, that's why they started the group in the first place, is to annoy us. If they find they are not getting the attention they want, they will not continue their 'strike'. That's why they gave up in January, no geocachers were complaining and thus mad their group redundant.

Don't worry about the game. We have more than 60 000 users who are dedicated to keeping this game trucking. Any people who are going to begin going against the game or betraying it will have to stand against all of our 60 000 people. If they find they are not making progress, they have no reason to continue and therfore will extinguish their flame.

I must be the only one without a Facebook login.

"You must log in to see this page."

Oh, well.

You're not missing anything. About 13 silly comments, and a link to some British Cache Pirate's blog, who hasn't posted to it in a year and a half. It is funny as heck that he says he steals caches because "it takes him to great places that he otherwise wouldn't have known about". :)

Hey, I just have facebook to join groups of bands that I'm a fan of. I have a phony name, and a blank profile. So no one can be my friend (not that they wanted to).

What's a facebook?

Is this something important I need to know about? :)

Yes, this one puzzled me too at first, until I did some research. It turns out that in addition to the most-commonly known and familiar trackable categories, namely travel bugs and geocoins, Groundspeak, about two years ago, instituted a new category of trackables, which may also be kept as collectibles, called "faces". Each face (usually it is the face of a geocacher or that of a family member of a geocacher) is normally rolled up and stored in a heavy-duty ziplock bag, with the tracking tag attached. They are then left in caches as travelers/collectibles. About four months after the genre of faces was created as a trackable/collectible category, some collectors already had so many faces in their collection that they wanted someplace, perhaps a photo gallery on the Interweb, where they could showcase their trackable/collectible faces. In response to this need, Groundspeak, working with a third-party API application vendor, created a website called Facebook, at www.facebook.com, where, as you have likely already guessed, individual geocachers can each have a dedicated profile page which displays or showcases all the faces which they have collected in caches and at events. So, when you see mentions of Facebook, that is what is all about, just one more category of trackables, but in this case they are also collectibles (although it must be admitted that many geocachers do collect registered TBs and geocoins as well, despite the fact that they were not intended to be collectibles...) and the faces may be showcased on a dedicated site (namely, Facebook) created for that purpose.

What's a facebook?

Is this something important I need to know about? :)

Yes, this one puzzled me too at first, until I did some research. It turns out that in addition to the most-commonly known and familiar trackable categories, namely travel bugs and geocoins, Groundspeak, about two years ago, instituted a new category of trackables, which may also be kept as collectibles, called "faces". Each face (usually it is the face of a geocacher or that of a family member of a geocacher) is normally rolled up and stored in a heavy-duty ziplock bag, with the tracking tag attached. They are then left in caches as travelers/collectibles. About four months after the genre of faces was created as a trackable/collectible category, some collectors already had so many faces in their collection that they wanted someplace, perhaps a photo gallery on the Interweb, where they could showcase their trackable/collectible faces. In response to this need, Groundspeak, working with a third-party API application vendor, created a website called Facebook, at www.facebook.com, where, as you have likely already guessed, individual geocachers can each have a dedicated profile page which displays or showcases all the faces which they have collected in caches and at events. So, when you see mentions of Facebook, that is what is all about, just one more category of trackables, but in this case they are also collectibles (although it must be admitted that many geocachers do collect registered TBs and geocoins as well, despite the fact that they were not intended to be collectibles...) and the faces may be showcased on a dedicated site (namely, Facebook) created for that purpose.

This practice, of course, is the origin of the term "lost face". For a long time, linguists believed it sprang from another source, but we have been making our case very strongly in the past few years, and even show them a face collection.

It is commonly known that "losing face" happens most often at micros and nanos. No one has yet pinpointed the reason for this disproportinate happenstance, however.

What's a facebook?

Is this something important I need to know about? :laughing:

This practice, of course, is the origin of the term "lost face". For a long time, linguists believed it sprang from another source, but we have been making our case very strongly in the past few years, and even show them a face collection.

It is commonly known that "losing face" happens most often at micros and nanos. No one has yet pinpointed the reason for this disproportinate happenstance, however.

:laughing:

I learn so much from this forum!

- Elle

I actually contacted Groundspeak about this (as I'm sure others have as well) They responded yesterday stating that they are now in contact with facebook regarding this group... may be the end for that piddly little group

By having the group shutdown, it may awake what appears to be a sleeping group of individuals. Maybe it was started by an ex-geocacher that was upset by something that happened to them. By having facebook delete their group, it may re-invigorate their negative energies...

I agree with the others... Leave it alone and ignore them... Although it may be too late now..

I actually contacted Groundspeak about this (as I'm sure others have as well) They responded yesterday stating that they are now in contact with facebook regarding this group... may be the end for that piddly little group

By having the group shutdown, it may awake what appears to be a sleeping group of individuals. Maybe it was started by an ex-geocacher that was upset by something that happened to them. By having facebook delete their group, it may re-invigorate their negative energies...

I agree with the others... Leave it alone and ignore them... Although it may be too late now..

Well, Groundspeak can do whatever they feel is appropriate in concern for their company. That's a different matter than a bunch of us picking up torches and pitchforks.

- Elle

Well, Groundspeak can do whatever they feel is appropriate in concern for their company. That's a different matter than a bunch of us picking up torches and pitchforks.

- Elle

I just don't think it's worth getting upset about (oh no he di'int) :laughing:

I just don't think it's worth getting upset about (oh no he di'int) :laughing:

Nor do I, but as I said, Groundspeak will do what they feel is appropriate for their company. A company acting in defense of itself is much different than a bunch of people getting into a peeing contest. I filed a report but I really doubt it qualifies as an attack on an individual or group. I think there's more to said about the unauthorised and unattributed use of the Geocaching logo.

- Elle

Here's today's message to all members of the facebook group...

New Logo

To members of Geocaching is Littering

-----

Hi All,

Had to change my logo due to copyright infringement. New one is better though and will piss those nasty yank geocachers off even more!!.

And if you're curious, this is the new logo.. haha

n6260992578_8158.jpg

Man, the self-righteous fury of some people-- geo-trashers, in this case-- can be so frustrating.

Why is it so hard to let other people do what they enjoy? Especially when those people often practice habits that improve the area around a cache-- CITO, for example.

Every so often, I get a little exasperated with humanity. This is one of those times.

New Logo

-----

Hi All,

Had to change my logo due to copyright infringement. New one is better though and will piss those nasty yank geocachers off even more!!.

n6260992578_8158.jpg

And this thread how now done the exact opposite of what it should. It brought attention to it, new "members" signed up, someone tattled to Groundspeak about the logo and now someone from a facebook group that hadn't has any activity since January is probably out destroying a cache somewhere because they were reminded of their stupid facebook group they created on a whim.. Great job!

Edited by StClairC

And this thread how now done the exact opposite of what it should. It brought attention to it, new "members" signed up, someone tattled to Groundspeak about the logo and now someone from a facebook group that hadn't has any activity since January is probably out destroying a cache somewhere because they were reminded of their stupid facebook group they created on a whim.. Great job!

I'm actually more concerned by copyright violation than I am geo-trashing, and, in as far as I know, copyright violation is illegal and takes a higher precedence than geo-trashing ever would.

Sorry you feel harmed because some mean people might remember to be mean about your hobby. Is there even a record of which geocaches have been trashed and if Groundspeak accounts are being used for this purpose? Is there even a link between posts on that community and missing geocaches in the area of members? Is there any evidence at all that these individuals are effective or successful at anything they want to do in real life? Give me something that tells me I should be intimidated or concerned.

I have no evidence that this group of individuals has done anything more than steal a graphic that they had no authorisation to use (which has been corrected), moan about something they don't like and create a really bad graphic.

- Elle

I'm actually more concerned by copyright violation than I am geo-trashing, and, in as far as I know, copyright violation is illegal and takes a higher precedence than geo-trashing ever would.

Sorry you feel harmed because some mean people might remember to be mean about your hobby. Is there even a record of which geocaches have been trashed and if Groundspeak accounts are being used for this purpose? Is there even a link between posts on that community and missing geocaches in the area of members? Is there any evidence at all that these individuals are effective or successful at anything they want to do in real life? Give me something that tells me I should be intimidated or concerned.

I have no evidence that this group of individuals has done anything more than steal a graphic that they had no authorisation to use (which has been corrected), moan about something they don't like and create a really bad graphic.

- Elle

Really? Concerned about copywrite violation on a website that hasn't been visited in 8 months? On facebook, no less?

You've completely missed the point. I don't mind that there are people out there who are mean to "my" hobby - its the over-reaction of people who are doing nothing more than encouraging the group to continue doing what they are doing.

Is it even worth taking the chance that a cache might get trashed? I think the Simpsons said it best. "Just don't look, just don't look!" and it will die on its own.

1184262976.jpg

- Elle

Ahh, but that is what many of us in here do best. :blink::ph34r:

Really? Concerned about copywrite violation on a website that hasn't been visited in 8 months? On facebook, no less?

You've completely missed the point. I don't mind that there are people out there who are mean to "my" hobby - its the over-reaction of people who are doing nothing more than encouraging the group to continue doing what they are doing.

Is it even worth taking the chance that a cache might get trashed? I think the Simpsons said it best. "Just don't look, just don't look!" and it will die on its own.

*annoying unnecessarily huge graphic snipped*

Yes, I am more concerned about copyright violation. It is illegal, no matter where it is done. Facebook cares quite a bit, too.

Since I've had to legally go after a so-called graphic artist for stealing my photographs and grit my teeth every time somebody thinks they can use my work without attribution or consent from me, I'm extremely leary and unforgiving of people who think Copyright is no big deal.

- Elle

I don't know, their wall has whopping 11 posts, the most recent in January. Might be best to let sleeping dogs lie.

It'd be interesting to know, though, if Leeds has had a problem with disappearing caches.

They're just playing the game their way. ...

Ironic but true none the less. You have to find them to trash them. I wonder if the one guy realized the irony and killed himself on the spot to keep his promise.

New Logo

-----

Hi All,

n6260992578_8158.jpg

I totally agree with this post. Worse than no posts to the facebook page since January, the linked to geocache trashers blog hadn't been posted to in over 1.5 years.

Looser? I don't know; it's England. Maybe they spell it that way.

Actually, being married for over 20 years, Oh, never mind. :blink:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

...And if you're curious, this is the new logo.. haha

n6260992578_8158.jpg

Creativity 0. The colors don't work. The slogan lacks punch and orginality.

Impact 1. The problem here is that it's a 3rd grade taunt wasted on folks smarter than that.

Appeal 0. I just don't see this on t-shirts or tattoos.

In an ironic twist of fate, if the person creating the logo was in fact getting any. She would have helped him come up with a much better insulting logo.

...And if you're curious, this is the new logo.. haha

n6260992578_8158.jpg

Creativity 0. The colors don't work. The slogan lacks punch and orginality.

Impact 1. The problem here is that it's a 3rd grade taunt wasted on folks smarter than that.

Appeal 0. I just don't see this on t-shirts or tattoos.

In an ironic twist of fate, if the person creating the logo was in fact getting any. She would have helped him come up with a much better insulting logo.

This is a logo???? It looks like a few words typed into Microsoft Word, and converted to a JPEG. I give it a zero. Freaking looser. ;)