garmin 60csx

sara&tyson

i just picked up my first gps, a 60csx, and have been getting the feel for caching. my question: is it possible to enter the hints, descriptions, an other clues in the data i enter in my gps? i final figured out the "send to gps" option on the geocaching.com website, and thats working nicely, but can i include the notes?

thanks for your help

i just picked up my first gps, a 60csx, and have been getting the feel for caching. my question: is it possible to enter the hints, descriptions, an other clues in the data i enter in my gps? i final figured out the "send to gps" option on the geocaching.com website, and thats working nicely, but can i include the notes?

thanks for your help

I dont believe so, i just started paperless caching and use an old i pod for the notes....cache magnet (free) and membership on here. so far so good. Try searching paperless caching. :rolleyes:

thanks for your help

No, not really. The "notes" aren't long enough to be useful. I do save Hints as POI data. They can hold 88 characters, which is enough in most cases. But I use my PDA to store all the cache info. The 60 series just isn't designed to hold geocaching text data.

thanks for your help

If you use GSAK, you can send whatever you want (up to the character limit) to the 60csx. There are many different combinations, but I like to send them with the waypoint name as GCxxxx, and the description as the "hint" from the cache page (%hint). the "Description" on the 60csx is limited to 30 characters, so there are times where the entire hint will not make it over to the unit.

Some folks go as far as adding the difficulty, terrain, and container type to the 60csx, but I keep all of that info on cachemate (don't like the clutter on the GPSr).

Using the "send to gps" button does not transfer any part of the hint. You must do it manually, either on the GPS or in MapSource (or EasyGPS etc...) The waypoints will only hold 30 characters which is usually enough if you're going to be writing the hint yourself.

You can also download customized POIs, which are, essentially, waypoints with 44 characters in the title and 88 in the notes/hint section. Just save the file as a .gpx and use POI Loader to load up the gpx files. However, since you are not a premium member, you'll need to create each gpx file. It may save some time to download 20 wayoints at a time, change what you want to change, then save the file as a gpx file and load it into your GPs with POILoader. All the waypoints must be in each gpx file 'cause POILoader copies over the previous file.

Using the "send to gps" button does not transfer any part of the hint. You must do it manually, either on the GPS or in MapSource (or EasyGPS etc...) The waypoints will only hold 30 characters which is usually enough if you're going to be writing the hint yourself.

You can also download customized POIs, which are, essentially, waypoints with 44 characters in the title and 88 in the notes/hint section. Just save the file as a .gpx and use POI Loader to load up the gpx files. However, since you are not a premium member, you'll need to create each gpx file. It may save some time to download 20 wayoints at a time, change what you want to change, then save the file as a gpx file and load it into your GPs with POILoader. All the waypoints must be in each gpx file 'cause POILoader copies over the previous file.

While POIs are a nice addition to waypoints I have not found a way to group POIs like you can with waypoints. Does anyone know how to or if it is possible.

thanks for your help

No, not really. The "notes" aren't long enough to be useful. I do save Hints as POI data. They can hold 88 characters, which is enough in most cases. But I use my PDA to store all the cache info. The 60 series just isn't designed to hold geocaching text data.

I know a few people who do this, they load the cache twice, first as a regular geocache waypoint, then again as a POI. For the POI they use GSAK to value the notes field with the hint.

While POIs are a nice addition to waypoints I have not found a way to group POIs like you can with waypoints. Does anyone know how to or if it is possible.

Not sure you mean by "group". But every custom POI file is considered a separate POI database, and you can select an individual POI database to search using the GPS's interface.