Funky Ammo Can Smell

So I just bought 2 ammo cans, and when I opened them up I got a nice whiff of FUNK! Now these are the first ammo cans that I've bought myself.....how do I get rid of that rather offensive smell? Or do I just leave it open and let it air out? Thanx!!! :D:rolleyes::)

Leave 'em open an while. You might also hit them with a spray of Lysol or Febreze.

Nah, WD40 is the best air freshener.

In four and half years of geocaching, i've yet to have the desire to "sniff my ammo cans." :D

The smell is most likely the rubber seal. As for using Febreze, probably a bad idea (especially the fruity smells) this may encourage a bear to remove the ammo can from its hiding spot, for a closer look.

mmmmm the funk smell of an ammo can. As you can see several actually enjoy the smell of a funky ammo can over anything else and actually look forward to opening the ammo can just for a whiff, like smelling baking bread, pumpkin pie, coffee.

The clank of opening the ammo can, the anticipation of what MAY be inside and then the musty aroma wafting upwards............

In four and half years of geocaching, i've yet to have the desire to "sniff my ammo cans." :D

The smell is most likely the rubber seal. As for using Febreze, probably a bad idea (especially the fruity smells) this may encourage a bear to remove the ammo can from its hiding spot, for a closer look.

Good thinking!!!! (although not many bears in Dallas TX!)

You don't get that smell with MKHs, but then again... MKHs don't surf.

Now is that Mary Katharine Ham or Mary Kay Hopkins?

Jim

Mary Katarine Ham is a hearkbreaking babe. :D

Our team just got an ammo can and I swear it is coated on the inside with Desert Storm Sand, very stinky, but I think it just adds to the experience, we'll wipe it out a little and load it up soon.

So I just bought 2 ammo cans, and when I opened them up I got a nice whiff of FUNK! Now these are the first ammo cans that I've bought myself.....how do I get rid of that rather offensive smell? Or do I just leave it open and let it air out? Thanx!!! :D:rolleyes::)

That "funk" is like the smell of bacon, eggs and coffee cooking for breakfast to us geocachers. Sometimes I go into my basement and open up a few ammo cans and inhale deeply. Ahhhhhhh!

Consider yourself lucky. I just brought a couple of cans home from my local surplus shop, with nary a whiff of funk to sniff. I'm gonna have to put something funky in there myself and leave them in the garage for a while to get anything like what you got gratis! Man, don't let anyone else know where you are getting your supply!

In four and half years of geocaching, i've yet to have the desire to "sniff my ammo cans." :ph34r:

:rolleyes: NICE one!

Wipe down the interior with some white vinegar on a couple of paper towels, & leave open to air out in sunlight for a day or so.

I had some containers with 'da funk'....I took to dropping a couple of incense cones inside & sealing 'er up. Works nicely - imagine opening a cache & gettin' a whaff of Patchouli or Sandlewood. Plus tends to overcome any scent of mildew that cardboard/paper packaging (for new swag) might pick up from moisture. And if someone wants to take the cones for swag, so much the better!

~*

Fill one up with mothballs and then just close it up for a few weeks.

Done properly you need to use a 50/50 mix of mothballs and hamsters.

Nope, you're both wrong.

One little puppy closed up and left in the sun will give that ammo can an entirely NEW smell. :rolleyes:

cfc4f02f-5b77-4329-a80b-0c64c9af7e21.jpg

OMG ITS MY PUPPY!.....o wait, we've been over this! (we have identical dogs!)

Nope, you're both wrong.

One little puppy closed up and left in the sun will give that ammo can an entirely NEW smell. :rolleyes:

Sure they're not fraternal?

Nope, you're both wrong.

Well I've 1) never seen another dog like this

and 2) Mine was born in Dallas TX....Dont know how far from "The armpit of the universe" we are!!!

SO maybe, maybe not!!

Edited by nycdancerboi

Nope, you're both wrong.

and 2) Mine was born in Dallas TX....Dont know how far from "The armpit of the universe" we are!!!

SO maybe, maybe not!!

Around 250 miles, I think.

Nope, you're both wrong.

One little puppy closed up and left in the sun will give that ammo can an entirely NEW smell. :ph34r:

SO maybe, maybe not!!

Ick, then I can't imagine what the ammo cans smell like THERE! :rolleyes:

In four and half years of geocaching, i've yet to have the desire to "sniff my ammo cans." :)

:) NICE one!

Lame One!

I was referring to spraying ammo cans (with Febreze) in general not "strictly in Dallas." Most of the ammo cans I find and hide, are in bear country. The intent was to warn potential ammo can users who might not think of the implications of scented items, and the attraction to animals. It must of been important enough of a subject to be written in the cache hiding guidelines.

Edited by Kit Fox

In four and half years of geocaching, i've yet to have the desire to "sniff my ammo cans." :)

:) NICE one!

Lame One!

I was referring to spraying ammo cans (with Febreze) in general not "strictly in Dallas." Most of the ammo cans I find and hide, are in bear country. The intent was to warn potential ammo can users who might not think of the implications of scented items, and the attraction to animals. It must of been important enough of a subject to be written in the cache hiding guidelines.

I know! just havin fun with it! didnt mean to upset you! :):):D

Nope, you're both wrong.

One little puppy closed up and left in the sun will give that ammo can an entirely NEW smell. :)

SO maybe, maybe not!!

Closer to 300.

Cujo is a Deerhead Chihuahua. It's a lesser known breed, but have better personalities than Appleheads, IMO.

I've never noticed bad smells from ammo cans, but if I did I'd try my solution for bad smelling refrigerators in camping trailers. I've had a couple where the fridge died while I was gone home for the week. (Camper's in a campground set up seasonal). Even the one that had had fish in it came clean with bleach water, vinegar, and the secret. Stuff it with newspaper wadded up into balls, close it up and leave it for a few days. The stink somehow leaves the fridge and goes into the paper. Of course we had to use an ice chest that week, but big deal. We also pack the fridge with paper in the fall when we go away for the winter and it smells as sweet as a new one in the spring. Might work for ammo cans too.

I've never noticed bad smells from ammo cans, but if I did I'd try my solution for bad smelling refrigerators in camping trailers. I've had a couple where the fridge died while I was gone home for the week. (Camper's in a campground set up seasonal). Even the one that had had fish in it came clean with bleach water, vinegar, and the secret. Stuff it with newspaper wadded up into balls, close it up and leave it for a few days. The stink somehow leaves the fridge and goes into the paper. Of course we had to use an ice chest that week, but big deal. We also pack the fridge with paper in the fall when we go away for the winter and it smells as sweet as a new one in the spring. Might work for ammo cans too.

HMM....I've never heard of that!!!!!! I wonder why that is?

Off topic a bit, but to address the earlier refrigerator funk: One of my other hobbies is recreational shrimp harvesting. This has often led to severly stinky coolers. The best cure I've found for this is a rubber glove, a sponge and pure, (real), vanille extract. Don the glove, grab the sponge and pour the vanilla on it. Then just wipe out the cooler. When you're done, leave the lid cracked open. I've also used this method to rescue freezers and refridgerators. Note: I don't recommend this solution for ammo cans, due to critter concerns.