Rayovac Hybrid AA batteries, Garmin GPS problem

AD0SB

Has anyone else here experienced strange behavior when using hybrid rechargeable cells on their gps?

With mine, the battery indicator will still show 50% left but my gps starts to jump around, and takes forever to lock onto satellites...

Is it an inherent issue with hybrid cells?

Has anyone else here experienced strange behavior when using hybrid rechargeable cells on their gps?

With mine, the battery indicator will still show 50% left but my gps starts to jump around, and takes forever to lock onto satellites...

I'm using them in my eTrex, and have had no problem with them. Maybe it's that new receiver you just got... ;-)

Seriously, though, I use only Ray-o-vac hybrids in mine, and have never had a problem.

PS

I use Sanyo, Kodak, and Rayovac hybrids and have had no problems.

When this happens have you tried installing a fresh set of batteries right then and see if the problem goes away?

Seriously, though, I use only Ray-o-vac hybrids in mine, and have never had a problem.

Neither have I, that is all I have ever used in my 60CSx. You might double check your GPSs battery type setting to make sure it is set to NiMh and not alkaline, if you haven't already.

It seems that I remember a year or so ago someone on the forum had a similar problem, don't remember the culprit, it was to many 1,000s of post ago.

Edited by eaparks

I had an early model 60Cx, and I have a 60CSx bought last September, and the 60Cx bought Feb 2006, was all over the place with the Battery Meter going up and down, when using any rechargable, and especially did not like the Radio Shack Hybrids. Any battery that crapped out in the 60Cx, would continue to work in the newer 60CSx of mine. Not just the battery meter showed fluctuations in the old 60Cx, but the Receiver was very unstable. The best batteries in my old 60Cx seemed to be Duracell Alkalines, which helped the old 60Cx run more stable.

Seems some GPS units may not be purfect, with some of them being on the border of being defective.

Rayovac Hybrids and Sanyo Eneloops are of the same type of rechargable. NIMH's that hold their charge longer than regular NIMH's. You sacrafice capacity for charge holding capabilities since the mah rating on the hybrid style batteries currently max out at 2100mah's. Make sure your units battery settings are for NIMH rechargeables. I have had no trouble with mine but I'll run my Colorado through some paces tonight and see if I can't reproduce what your seeing.

To answer a previous question, yes when I put the new batteries in it locked almost immediately, and the sats stayed consistent...

To answer the other question, I just checked and it was set for alkaline batteries... Just changed it to NiMH now.

I will give that a try, does anyone know what that setting does, I cant seem to figure out why that would matter, its not as if you can recharge the batteries while in the unit.

To answer a previous question, yes when I put the new batteries in it locked almost immediately, and the sats stayed consistent...

To answer the other question, I just checked and it was set for alkaline batteries... Just changed it to NiMH now.

I will give that a try, does anyone know what that setting does, I cant seem to figure out why that would matter, its not as if you can recharge the batteries while in the unit.

The discharge curves are different, that is, the voltage to discharge state. I don't have a problem with my 76CSx on NiMH batteries set for NiMH.

Jim