Earthcache day 12 October 2008

Cav Scout

International EarthCache Day is Sunday 12 October this year. I hope that people will do a similar thing and organize some form of activity around EarthCaching. Maybe a talk to local people about what an EarthCache is or a training session for people who would like to set up EarthCaches.

International EarthCache day is part of Earth Science Week.

We will get some more information onto the EarthCache website in the next few days.

Is EC day a actual part of earth science week or a separate idea taking place during earth science week?

Reason I ask is that I looked at the earth science website and there was no mention of EarthCaching or geocaching.com.

Looking forward to the information you post on the website.

International EarthCache Day is Sunday 12 October this year. I hope that people will do a similar thing and organize some form of activity around EarthCaching. Maybe a talk to local people about what an EarthCache is or a training session for people who would like to set up EarthCaches.

We will get some more information onto the EarthCache website in the next few days.

Earth Science Week is a week dedicated to promoting the importance of Earth Science around the planet. EarthCache materials were included in the education kit that was sent to 16,000 teachers (a nifty CDROM containing the educators guide, images, podcasts etc)

International EarthCache Day occurs on the first day of that week...as it has done every year. The first IEC day was marked with an event on the Mall in Washington DC. The second we invited people to run EC activities...as we are doing this year.

If anyone wants to run any sort of EarthCache related event on Sunday 12 October we would like to know about it. Through a joint effort with the American Geological Institute (who runs Earth Science Week) and can try and get some media coverage.

And, as past years, we can offer a small number of white EarthCache pins to event organizers for them to hand out to participants (while stocks last). To get these pins, send us the details of the event, including what you plan to do, the time, place and the number of people expected to attend and your name and home address to EarthCache@geosociety.org. All we ask is that the left over pins are mailed back to us...

I hope people who love EarthCaches will get involved!

I'm trying to line up a EarthCaching event for that date. Geoware, if I have EarthCaches submitted for that event, can they be published on that date for the event. I found a book, more of a journal, that geologest did a tour in my county and had stops listed and mapped on things that would make for a great event. Could I do that for a EarthCache Day event? And how would I get the white EarthCache pins if everything goes thru? I'm really excited about this idea and I think the turn out may be very good for this event. :)

I'm trying to line up a EarthCaching event for that date. Geoware, if I have EarthCaches submitted for that event, can they be published on that date for the event. I found a book, more of a journal, that geologest did a tour in my county and had stops listed and mapped on things that would make for a great event. Could I do that for a EarthCache Day event? And how would I get the white EarthCache pins if everything goes thru? I'm really excited about this idea and I think the turn out may be very good for this event. :)

While I check and provide comments in forums, I can't respond to individual requests like this. Please email me at earthcache@geosociety.org if you have an individual request.

I am just curious, why was a Sunday chosen for EarthCache day? It doesn't matter to Marge and I, but over the years we have learned that a Sunday is a poor day to try to have an event. Many church goers usually cannot make Sunday events or cannot attend until afternoon. What's wrong with a Saturday.? I'll offer a friendly wager, I'll bet (if anyone wants to check) that 95% + geocaching events are NOT held on Sundays.

If EarthCache day is to coincide with Earth Sciences week, then I would assume that any day of the week is OK, so why not a Saturday? Is it too late to change it or is it OK for some of us to have the event on Saturday the 11th? From our experiences of trying to schedule events I would suggest avoiding Sunday if you want better attendance! :D

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Earth Science Week is a week dedicated to promoting the importance of Earth Science around the planet. EarthCache materials were included in the education kit that was sent to 16,000 teachers (a nifty CDROM containing the educators guide, images, podcasts etc)

International EarthCache Day occurs on the first day of that week...as it has done every year. The first IEC day was marked with an event on the Mall in Washington DC. The second we invited people to run EC activities...as we are doing this year.

If anyone wants to run any sort of EarthCache related event on Sunday 12 October we would like to know about it. Through a joint effort with the American Geological Institute (who runs Earth Science Week) and can try and get some media coverage.

And, as past years, we can offer a small number of white EarthCache pins to event organizers for them to hand out to participants (while stocks last). To get these pins, send us the details of the event, including what you plan to do, the time, place and the number of people expected to attend and your name and home address to EarthCache@geosociety.org. All we ask is that the left over pins are mailed back to us...

I hope people who love EarthCaches will get involved!

The closest (to us) EarthCache Day event is:GC1WBGJ. Will GSA support it with pins etc.?

Well, the planned EarthCache day event was held at the Cumberland Gap National Historic park and it was great. We all chipped in and out of our OWN pockets, we made sure there were souvenirs and food for everyone. Yep it was misty at times and darn cold Saturday night but everyone had a great time! A lot of ECs were found.

We will make next year's event the "3rd Annual EarthCache Day Event". Can't wait! Watch for the listing. We are thinking of going to the Grayson Highlands State Park. Why? Because it is beautiful and the Park is very supportive of EarthCaching!

Maybe there will be funds for some support? :D

Actually there is one planned in Virgina for 17 October. Several folks are attending for a hike up to Sand Cave.

Unfortunately there is no official EarthCache Day planned for 2009.

Welp...plan one :D your the man! :D We gots 4 months left :(

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

That's incorrect, there was a planned and official EarthCache Day 2009 at Cumberland Gap National Historic park. It was a success and everyone had fun. :laughing::mad::D

There will be a 3rd Annual event as well for the Ky, Tn, and Va cachers in 2010.

This is what the Army calls "picking up the ball and running" type of event. We made it happned and it was fun. :D:D:D

Unfortunately there is no official EarthCache Day planned for 2009.

Edited by Cav Scout