How bad would you want this blinkie to get it?

sjn951

I'd have come back with a can of WD40

Get my smilie (:)) but more importantly make sure that nobody got stung trying to retrieve it

If I were the CO and I saw that picture, I'd go and clean out the pipe, find an abandoned yellowjacket nest and put it in front of the nano :) - Then add 'WARNING, THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF WASPS IN THE AREA!' to the cache page :)

Wow! You guys are hard core! I thought "DNF" meant "did not find". Well, we found it.

Anyhoo, it was quite an adventure. One of my kids has severe allergic reactions to, well, just about everything so I wasn't going to risk a sting. The owner of the cache has since taken it down and is looking for a spot less prone to infestation.

Wow! You guys are hard core! I thought "DNF" meant "did not find". Well, we found it.

Finding it and signing the log are two different things. Check out this thread >> http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=66648

I didn't realize there was so much controversy. :laughing:

FWIW I have signed the log of every cache I've ever found except for this one. If the owner wants to delete my log that's up to him I guess. There have been a few caches that I have made several attempts at with no luck. After about 3 misses I might log it as a 'DNF' and email the owner for a hint but I don't lose sleep over it. I'm not doing this for braging rights on this forum. I'm just a bit of a gadget geek that loves to camp with his family and Geocaching seemed like perfect way to merge technology and the outdoors.

So think of me what you wish. We found that blinkie on my birthday with about 6 others on that outing. We had a great time and I thought I'd share. Carry on. :)

Edit: OK by "signing the log" I originally thought everyone meant the paper log in the blinkie. Of course I loged it as found for the smiley! :(

Edited by sjn951

is it a nano i see?

gloves on

needle nose pliers from the multitool

stuff a cleenex in tube

insert the pliers and pusch back the cleenex at the same time

grab the nano with the pliers

log

replace the nano

and run like hell when you pull out the cleenex :-)

getaway vehicle nearby??? LOL

or leave the cleenex, they'll chew thru it

IF you want it that bad ... LOL

Edited by Guinness70

is it a nano i see?

gloves on

needle nose pliers from the multitool

stuff a cleenex in tube

insert the pliers and pusch back the cleenex at the same time

grab the nano with the pliers

log

replace the nano

and run like hell when you pull out the cleenex :-)

getaway vehicle nearby??? LOL

or leave the cleenex, they'll chew thru it

IF you want it that bad ... LOL

My method of WD40 makes it safe for the next cachers too though...

Anyhoo, it was quite an adventure. One of my kids has severe allergic reactions to, well, just about everything so I wasn't going to risk a sting. The owner of the cache has since taken it down and is looking for a spot less prone to infestation.

Oh, just messing around. I'd allow that as a find on one of my caches, although I wouldn't submit a photo as a find myself on a cache. The subject of frozen in ice caches came up last winter, and most people said they would accept a photo of a frozen cache. I'm just glad about two things:

1. There are very few "blinkies" in my area.

2. No one around here refers to them as blinkies. :rolleyes:

Oh, just messing around. I'd allow that as a find on one of my caches, although I wouldn't submit a photo as a find myself on a cache. The subject of frozen in ice caches came up last winter, and most people said they would accept a photo of a frozen cache. I'm just glad about two things:

1. There are very few "blinkies" in my area.

2. No one around here refers to them as blinkies. :rolleyes:

I would also allow this as a find (with the picture). But I would go back and sign the log using the proper tools as evidenced by another finder. I am not allergic to bee stings, however. We have LOTS of "blinkies" around here, unfortunately. :huh:

Come back with wasp spray or a one of those long grabber things.

I'm tellin' ya - WD40 is the best wasp spray around

I'd heard starter fluid, but I'll take your word for it. I don't exactly know the chemical breakdown of both products. :)

Starter fluid works well to, and as mentioned above brake cleaner, but you can spray WD40 in their general direction and they'll just drop right out of the sky the second it touches them

Carry a waist-mounted, nuclear powered electromagnet. Fire it up and all the magnetic nanos in the area will be showering you like a paintball ambush :lol:

Short of that, WD-40 is a good idea. Or you could log it as a find, but tell the owner you couldn't sign the log because of "biological reasons" :laughing:

I own a cache that resembles this in a way! One of my many evil hides. some of my best logs come from it! Only a few DNF's and most of them mention the wasp nest in thier logs! If they only knew how close they came to finding it! If they would look closer they would see that the wasp never moves! :lol:

When i was younger (im only 23, so this was about ten years ago or so) I got stung by a whole hive of bees, along with some other scouts. After that day, i got a phobia of bees, i guess you could call it. I just don't like 'em. If i had "found" your cache, i may have swatted it down and stepped on it to crush the nest. Or i may have just waited till winter to come back for it. Then i would have known. LOL. I just don't like anything that stings. Mosquitoes don't count.

and what the heck is a "Blinkie"? do you guys mean Nano caches?

I own a cache that resembles this in a way! One of my many evil hides. some of my best logs come from it! Only a few DNF's and most of them mention the wasp nest in thier logs! If they only knew how close they came to finding it! If they would look closer they would see that the wasp never moves! :laughing:

When i was younger (im only 23, so this was about ten years ago or so) I got stung by a whole hive of bees, along with some other scouts. After that day, i got a phobia of bees, i guess you could call it. I just don't like 'em. If i had "found" your cache, i may have swatted it down and stepped on it to crush the nest. Or i may have just waited till winter to come back for it. Then i would have known. LOL. I just don't like anything that stings. Mosquitoes don't count.

and as i just found out, you live in Florida. So i may not even go back to it if i have kept finding the wasps nest. Unless i sent you an email asking for more clues :lol:

I own a cache that resembles this in a way! One of my many evil hides. some of my best logs come from it! Only a few DNF's and most of them mention the wasp nest in thier logs! If they only knew how close they came to finding it! If they would look closer they would see that the wasp never moves! :lol:

Yup. I made a joke about it in my last post. Obviously a regional term (no one in my area says it), although I've heard it thrown around these forums once or twice. The OP only has about 35 finds, so it's pretty easy to find out what cache he's talking about, and the cache owner refers to it as "a magnetic blinkie". Whatever you want to call them, I guess the proper name is Mr. Magneto :laughing:

I own a cache that resembles this in a way! One of my many evil hides. some of my best logs come from it! Only a few DNF's and most of them mention the wasp nest in thier logs! If they only knew how close they came to finding it! If they would look closer they would see that the wasp never moves! :blink:

Yup. I made a joke about it in my last post. Obviously a regional term (no one in my area says it), although I've heard it thrown around these forums once or twice. The OP only has about 35 finds, so it's pretty easy to find out what cache he's talking about, and the cache owner refers to it as "a magnetic blinkie". Whatever you want to call them, I guess the proper name is Mr. Magneto :)

I learn something everytime I visit this thread! :ph34r:

Here is a link to the cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-31d8f7db8893

I guess I thought "blinkie" was a commonly used term.

WD-40 or brake cleaner are some good suggestions. I'll have to keep some on hand in our caching kit.

after seeing this thread, i had an idea. I've got an empty wasps nest somewhere on the ground around my house. And since they "Stick" to one spot, i'd thought i would glue/tape the empty wasps nest to a magnetic keyholder and place it somewhere..................convienient. Anyone would wanna go for that one? This might top my Birdhouse idea i had that actually was out in the wilderness, but didn't work. never got published. It was near the reviewers own cache (coughleprechuanscoughkeystonecough)

Early nano caches of that size and shape were recycled blinkies. They were magnetic LED lights with tiny watch batteries inside. Remove the batteries, insert a log, and stick it somewhere.

Thing is, I think that later people started making nanos like withat without the light, just to be nanos, but many people still call them "blinkies".

I think that's the story. It sounds good, anyway.

Early nano caches of that size and shape were recycled blinkies. They were magnetic LED lights with tiny watch batteries inside. Remove the batteries, insert a log, and stick it somewhere.

Thing is, I think that later people started making nanos like withat without the light, just to be nanos, but many people still call them "blinkies".

I think that's the story. It sounds good, anyway.

See, we all learn something. Check out this link: Magnetic Blinky I don't profess to be an expert, I've only found 3 nano caches that I can think of, and they were all Mr. Magneto's. These appear to be made in a machine shop. But I guess they could be "blinkies", and the glass LED flashing top replaced with a machine shop manufactured all metal top.

I learn something everytime I visit this thread! :laughing:

Here is a link to the cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-31d8f7db8893

I guess I thought "blinkie" was a commonly used term.

WD-40 or brake cleaner are some good suggestions. I'll have to keep some on hand in our caching kit.

As an option to killing them, you can just wait for winter and go back and sign the log. (Not that I have any soft spot for yellow jackets).

Ok, now I have to bring this up. What reason do you have to kill those yellowjackets? What beneficial purpose would that serve?

We are having a huge problem with bees disappearing, and the wasps and yellowjackets are getting more prevalent because SOMETHING has to pollinate the crops, or we'll all starve.

I'd rather see someone move the nano than to kill those yellowjackets.

Just go in the morning when its cold, the wasps will all be sleepy little slugs. Grab, sign and be on your merry way!

Also, I agree with the guy above - no need to kill them, not like they did anything to you. This summer we had had some wasps make a home in my wife's car mirrors, gas cap area and trunk - we just moved their nests when it was chilly out (early morning, late night) and they didn't come back.

If you are not joking around, it sounds like you are trying to tell us that you logged an online find, despite the fact that you did not sign the log. Personally, in such a situation, I would log a humorous DNF, and would never consider logging an onlne find. I suspect that many cachers here would agree with me.

Ok, now I have to bring this up. What reason do you have to kill those yellowjackets? What beneficial purpose would that serve?

We are having a huge problem with bees disappearing, and the wasps and yellowjackets are getting more prevalent because SOMETHING has to pollinate the crops, or we'll all starve.

I thought "yellowjackets" were wasps? Does anyone know this? I'll tell you one thing, they are definitely getting more prevalent. And I can't stand the little buggers, either. :rolleyes:

If you are not joking around, it sounds like you are trying to tell us that you logged an online find, despite the fact that you did not sign the log. Personally, in such a situation, I would log a humorous DNF, and would never consider logging an onlne find. I suspect that many cachers here would agree with me.

Yep.

I thought "yellowjackets" were wasps? Does anyone know this? I'll tell you one thing, they are definitely getting more prevalent. And I can't stand the little buggers, either. :)

Those aren't yellowjackets, anyway. Those are paper wasps. Yellowjackets are tiny wee things that usually live in the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp

The ones you need to really watch out for, are these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee

They will chase you, and not stop, and they will do it in enough volume that they can seriously injure people, and can, potentially, kill small children, dogs, etc, due to the quantity of venom injected by hundreds and hundreds of stings. Yellowjackets, wasps, and honeybees, will stop chasing you when you reach the distance they consider safe from their nests, and will return to fly a guard pattern.

On the pollenation tip: Bees/wasps are not the only thing that pollinates. Flies, many other insects, including nuisance bugs like Japanese Beetles and Stink Bugs, birds, hummingbirds, etc. Virtually anything that visits multiple flowers is a pollination vector.

I thought "yellowjackets" were wasps? Does anyone know this?

You are correct.

Thanks! And thanks to CBT69 for the links. I think I'm done with them for a good 6 months up here in the sub-arctic region now though. Cold as a mother this weekend, and I don't see it getting any warmer. :)

On the pollenation tip: Bees/wasps are not the only thing that pollinates. Flies, many other insects, including nuisance bugs like Japanese Beetles and Stink Bugs, birds, hummingbirds, etc. Virtually anything that visits multiple flowers is a pollination vector.

While other pollinators do pollinate things, flowers have co-evolved with the pollinators to have a good match. For example, flower traits in those with beetle pollinators are usually white flowers, with no nectar guides and usually no nectar, like Magnolias.

Orchids are pollinated by wasps and are highly specialized for this, they often mimic wasp scents. No wasps = no orchids as we know them.

Fox glove flowers are really spectacular for bee pollination. They have landing pads and a channel to the nectar guides that prevent large bees from entering. Marsh marigolds have specialized spots that emit light at a frequency that we can't see and only bees can!

I could go on and on, I'm a biologist, I love this stuff. soo....

Point: While bees and wasps are not the only pollinators, without bees and wasps certain highly adapted plant species would not be able to survive as is. Which makes sense, because the nose of a bat is a lot different than the legs of a butterfly.