Bluetooth GPS suggestions?

EvilMonkeys

Just started Geocaching and I am currently using a bluetooth GPS that I bought some years back for SatNav on my HTC Hermes Windows Mobile. The problem I have found is that my current device isn't sensitive enough and regularily looses reception when wondering through the lightest of tree cover.

Just wanted to know what people are using out there and how well they work in difficult situations.

There are a lot of good reviews on the net on various receivers and chipsets, showing accuracy, track comparisons, etc. Take a look at a couple of online retailers, find a few units you like and research those. For about $50.00 you should be able to get a very good unit.

This will get you started - http://www.buygpsnow.com/bluetooth-gps_9.aspx

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/category/bluetooth

I can't remember which one I bought last year, but have used it w/ my Dell Axim and driving direction software and geocaching software. I pick up 8 to 12+ satellites generally.

Just started Geocaching and I am currently using a bluetooth GPS that I bought some years back for SatNav on my HTC Hermes Windows Mobile. The problem I have found is that my current device isn't sensitive enough and regularily looses reception when wondering through the lightest of tree cover.

Just wanted to know what people are using out there and how well they work in difficult situations.

I've used a Holux GPSSlim 236 for the past couple of years. Tiny, has a lanyard loop, last for about 10 hours, *very* sensitive, and uses easily found Nokia phone batteries. I highly recommend it.

- Rich

Having scoured around some forums and review site it appears that the MTK chipset is the best and that SiRF III is no longer the best. Just wanted to know is anyone has used either of these devices as they seem to be the best i have found on the market at the mo.

Qstarz BT-Q818

Holux M1000

Wow I used the word 'best' way to many times!

Edited by EvilMonkeys

I used a US Globalsat BT-359 (SirfstarIII) with a Palm E2. The GPS was very sensitive, as sensitive as my 60CSx. Same chipset - go figure! :) But I couldn't find Palm-based stuff that would work the way I wanted (without spending way too much $$). So I ditched the GPS and just used the PDA for paperless caching.

I used a US Globalsat BT-359 (SirfstarIII) with a Palm E2. The GPS was very sensitive, as sensitive as my 60CSx. Same chipset - go figure! :) But I couldn't find Palm-based stuff that would work the way I wanted (without spending way too much $$). So I ditched the GPS and just used the PDA for paperless caching.

Do you realize that you can use the bluetooth GPSr with Cachemate? There is the CacheNav plugin which I have used a few times. I use my bluetooth GPSr more with Cachemate to find my current position and then list the caches closest to my current position.

I have the Garmin GPS10x and it came with the Garmin CityNav 2008 NT as well as their MobileXT software. The MobileXT software comes in both Windows Mobile and PalmOS, but I admit that I have not tried too hard to use it with a Palm device (I use Windows Mobile now). Using the Garmin MobileXT software turns my PDA into a GPSr very much like a low-to-mid level Nuvi car nav system . I know the software is available for a free download from Garmin (although it won't do you much good without the map software too). I am not sure if it will work with a GPSr from another vendor either...

I use the 1st generation iblue bluetooth gps receiver w/ my Dell Axim, Dell Navigationi software, and Backcountry Navigator for Topo/Satellite Geocaching. BackCountryNavigator

BuyGPSNow I-blue-737

i-Blue Edition 2, also known as i-Blue 737 is the 2nd generation of the popular i-Blue PS-3200 receiver provides you with best accuracy and highest sensitivity.

i-Blue Edition 2 is powered by the new MTK chipset. Per our tests and user experience, the i-Blue Edition 2 has a GPS performance (accuracy, signal strength) on par with most of the SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS receiver in the market.

The patented Smart Power Save and Auto On/Off technology offers 25 hours battery life on one single charge.

Key Features:

Great Performance - i-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPS receiver is equipped with the new 51 channels MTK chipset which offers ultra high sensitivity at -158dBm (tracking) and lower power consumption at 42mA.

Auto On/Off - When you use i-Blue 737 for the first time, just power up and place the receiver under the windshield in car. Anytime when a paired PDA or laptop computer with Bluetooth connectivity is onboard, i-Blue will wake up on Bluetooth for your navigating usage. When Bluetooth signal is not present, i-Blue will go into sleeping mode automatically (Slow blinking blue LED).

Best Accuracy - i-Blue 737 supports DGPS (RTCM protocol, WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS) for great accuracy at 2.5m.

What do you guys use for maps in your PDA's? I have a Dell Axim and a Gsat BT-368i and am curious to find out what you guys use for real time mapping and Caching.

Thanks!

-Dylan

What do you guys use for maps in your PDA's? I have a Dell Axim and a Gsat BT-368i and am curious to find out what you guys use for real time mapping and Caching.

Thanks!

-Dylan

I have an old HTC Hermes phone WM6.1. I no longer use as a phone but with a new battery it lasts for days without charging while caching. I use GeoScout as it includes UK maps for free, very good paperless caching and the ability to download caches on the fly.

Curious - if you no longer use it as a phone, how do you download caches on the fly? :)

I have an old HTC Hermes phone WM6.1. I no longer use as a phone but with a new battery it lasts for days without charging while caching. I use GeoScout as it includes UK maps for free, very good paperless caching and the ability to download caches on the fly.

Curious - if you no longer use it as a phone, how do you download caches on the fly? :)

I pop the sim chip in from my new phone?

I want to add my question to this thread:

I've never geocached before and thought I'd give it a try, I put the gpsvp software on my phone only to discover it doesn't register movement very good if I'm walking, only driving.

I found out later this is not a problem with the gpsvp software but rather the hardware in my phone has something called static navigation enabled to make it "better" for driving.

I'm thinking I still want to use the phone and the gpsvp software so that leads me to a bluetooth gps.

Can I assume anything I buy WON'T have this static nav stuff enabled and is good for walking?

Also I'm kinda wanting a bluetooth gps that also can plug in to usb (for my non bluetooth having laptop) and can do stand-alone logging.

I've found the holux m241 has all that but is $70, anything good that's cheaper?

I've never geocached before and thought I'd give it a try, I put the gpsvp software on my phone only to discover it doesn't register movement very good if I'm walking, only driving.

I found out later this is not a problem with the gpsvp software but rather the hardware in my phone has something called static navigation enabled to make it "better" for driving.

I'm thinking I still want to use the phone and the gpsvp software so that leads me to a bluetooth gps.

Can I assume anything I buy WON'T have this static nav stuff enabled and is good for walking?

Also I'm kinda wanting a bluetooth gps that also can plug in to usb (for my non bluetooth having laptop) and can do stand-alone logging.

I've found the holux m241 has all that but is $70, anything good that's cheaper?

Just recieved my qstarz bt-q818 reception is excellent works brilliantly in the woods really impressed! £35 delivered from ebay.

If you are looking at holux i would recommend the m1000 it's newer and on the same chipset as the qstarz.

Having scoured around some forums and review site it appears that the MTK chipset is the best and that SiRF III is no longer the best. Just wanted to know is anyone has used either of these devices as they seem to be the best i have found on the market at the mo.

Qstarz BT-Q818

Holux M1000

Wow I used the word 'best' way to many times!

Both of those have a chipset that needs you to be moving at more than 4mph.

This is NOT Static Navigation, and cannot be turned off. It is a feature that may have been addressed with later firmwares, but on th BT-Q818 I had, it was difficult to use at walking speeds. Other than that, it was wonderful.

I sold it and bought a GlobalSat BT-359 ... perfect :)

Anything with the SirfStarIII chipset can have the Static Navigation turned off.

The MTK doesn't use SN. The chipset is controlled by the firmware, which is problematic on some units wrt sub 4mph movement.

Later firmwares, I understand, do not suffer this issue, so be careful what you buy.