RIP Cache

Bad_CRC

Oh, I've got the most horrible story of all. Poor, innocent li'l container was almost completely destroyed -- lid torn off after hinge was broken, then not properly re-sealed & all contents got soaked; and the wire-tie was later broken & the container left carelessly on the ground where it was either found & hauled off as trash, or floated away after heavy rains.

I have it on good authority that Geocachers got to it, & very likely the cause for its eventual demise.

~*

I had one hidden on a gentle hillside under a large bush. Got notified that the local highway guys had bulldozed the hillside. Went out to the area and sure enough - the Hill was cut back and the area of the cache is gone. Off to the side of the enlarged off highway parking area is a large mound of dirt and rocks - I am certain the cache is in there - somewhere......

We had one muggled by a maintenance crew, even before it was FTF'd!!

CO put a mag-nano inside the square pipe under 3rd base at a Little League field at a city park; the pipe that slides into another square pipe buried in the ground to anchor the base. CO replaced it -- had a few finds (& DNFs), and disappeared again. Was replaced again, only to soon disappear again.

What the CO didn't realize - those bases are pulled up & tossed off the field when the grounds crew drags (smooths) the infield & draws fresh baselines, etc. The base isn't necessarily put back down where it came from -- in fact, when all bases are pulled & returned to 'Park HQ' when no games are scheduled, they prolly don't even go back to the same ball park!

I learned all that while I was in the park one day, looking for that one & a couple others that are nearby. Had to wait out the grounds crew, & talked with them awhile -- after I'd GZ'd it they even helped me look for it while cleaning out the dirt that gets dragged into the ground pipe. It was just GONE!

After it disappeared about the 4th time the CO finally relocated it, a couple months ago.

~*

While on a Cache Machine, it was clear that a mower had eaten the ammo can. We found the rubber seal and some remnents of swag pieces. I broke out a large magnet on a pole I carry in case of nasty brush/ivy hides to see if any scape could be found. Didn't find anything but it turns out thats because a group earlier in the day had found some chunks of metal. They did bring the pieces and the logbook they found to the dinner event later in the day. :laughing:

051c91be-a7a1-4d3b-a0e3-3bc708bf515a.jpg

Edited by mudsneaker

This was one of mine:

0ed6982b-5209-4d03-bd00-338c69941e8b.jpg

I don't know the name of the piece of equipment that killed it, but it reminds me of a steam roller with blades that chop down into the soil. You pull it behind a really big tractor, and it's apparently supposed to revitalize the root system on a grassy prairie? Does that make sense?

Its a Spike Aerator

While on a Cache Machine, it was clear that a mower had eaten the ammo can. We found the rubber seal and some remnents of swag pieces. I broke out a large magnet on a pole I carry in case of nasty brush/ivy hides to see if any scape could be found. Didn't find anything but it turns out thats because a group earlier in the day had found some chunks of metal. They did bring the pieces and the logbook they found to the dinner event later in the day. :unsure:

051c91be-a7a1-4d3b-a0e3-3bc708bf515a.jpg

Hehehe Well we signed the log, so it was a find.

I finally made it out to this cache on some local Nature Conservancy land. On the way to the fairly obvious hiding spot, I was thinking to myself that the prairie had recently been burned, as the grass wasn't as thick as it should have been. It took me a while to recognize the remains of the cache:

663287f2-aa2e-4202-854e-82ba5771d624.jpg

The only identifiable bit left was the graphite and metal end of a (former) wooden pencil and a spring from a pen. The rest was melted plastic and ashes. I had a good laugh, and contacted the cache owner when I got back. I definitely didn't sign the log book, but he gave me credit anyway.