RICOH - 500SE GPS-ready Digital Camera

Xlobsterman

RICOH makes Cameras? And GPS units?

The link took me to the camera's page, from the looks of it the GPS is connecting to the accessory shoe, and will have specs of it's own.

While definitely cool, I'd question it's ability to map trails. First will it be able to record, save, and transfer track data into a manageable format, like GPX? From what I found about it on RICOH's site it's primary use is to Geo-code the images themselves. I'm not sure if it has any features beyond that.

But that is one cool camera.

Edited by Airmapper

Well................I should have given a bit more of an explination of what my intended usage is for this camera. ;)

Here in Nova Scotia we have been required (by legislation) as ATV users to build and maintain an ATV trail system through a network of ATV Clubs. We need to document areas/trails that need to be repaired & maintained, then submit a proposal to get funding for building new, and maintaining existing trails. I thought this cool camera would be good for "visual documentation" of specific areas to be repaired, enhanced, and/or the construction of new trails.

Also, here is a better link for more technical info on this camera/GPS: http://www.duratechusa.com/Products/500SE.html

Edited by Xlobsterman
Here in Nova Scotia we have been required (by legislation) as ATV users to build and maintain an ATV trail system through a network of ATV Clubs. We need to document areas/trails that need to be repaired & maintained, then submit a proposal to get funding for building new, and maintaining existing trails. I thought this cool camera would be good for "visual documentation" of specific areas to be repaired, enhanced, and/or the construction of new trails.
I'm reasonably sure this camera will only geotag photos and based on your needs should be ideal for trail location documentation. You could create a map with these location photos "pinned" to the map. Many Garmin Nuvi's will carry those photos internally and you can link points to photos for field reference. I have a 205W and it has this feature.

Any GPS can create tracklogs so no need for this camera to do that function.

BTW, it sure is ugly with the GPS module attached. In the eye of the beholder. :ph34r: