Why No Ability to View All Waypoints with Oregons?

Didjerrydo

Am I just being too picky are does anyone else notice the agravating inability of not being able to call up a listing of all saved waypoints in the "Waypoint Manager"?

Quite often I find myself wanting to call up a distant saved waypoint, only to find the "ever how many it is" of the closest ones displayed. Unless you happen to remember the name you gave a more distant point, how are you supposed to "recall" it! Earlier units didn't have this handicap. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that lets you get around this issue somehow?

Edited by Didjerrydo

I'm pretty sure that this limitation has been around for some time on Garmin units, at least with the 60csx it is.

How about a search near (bullseye button) using the map, that works pretty well for me if I've forgotten the name?

GO$Rs

So there's really no way, within the Oregon itself, to call up a listing of all saved waypoints at one time..that kinda'sucks!

I'm pretty sure that this limitation has been around for some time on Garmin units, at least with the 60csx it is.

How about a search near (bullseye button) using the map, that works pretty well for me if I've forgotten the name?

GO$Rs

So there's really no way, within the Oregon itself, to call up a listing of all saved waypoints at one time..that kinda'sucks!

I only had several WPs saved so I never had a long list of them to go through with Waypoint Manager. Regardless I was upset that when the list grew large I had to delete ones I didn't want to keep individually in order to avoid deleting them all and loosing the ones I wanted to keep. At some point I learned that you can convert a WP into a POI through MapSource where you can categorize it and hopefully end up with a shorter list to pick as a POI on your GPSr should you forget its name. Unfortunately I haven't worked out the details on this since my Colorado broke and my new Oregon is in transit and all my 4 saved WPs are now lost. :ph34r:

GO$Rs

Not that I'm aware of, it seems limit you to the nearest 50 waypoints, like the CO. I'm not sure why they do this -- if you load 2000 geocaches you get a list of all 2000.

GO$Rs

I would imagine if you used a standard naming nomenclature for your waypoints it would make searching easier and by inputing the first couple of letters you'd get a list of the waypoints your looking for.

starxxx for various starbucks locations

xyzxxx for another setup of waypoints, etc

What are you doing/using it for?

I would imagine if you used a standard naming nomenclature for your waypoints it would make searching easier and by inputing the first couple of letters you'd get a list of the waypoints your looking for.

starxxx for various starbucks locations

xyzxxx for another setup of waypoints, etc

What are you doing/using it for?

Well, sometimes while wandering around on the internal mapping, I'll decide to save a waypoint somewhere in order to recall it later to view the map detail there, or show it to a customer because that particular point happens to show some interesting map features in a particular type of Map Source mapping. The problem is, I may have forgotten the exact name I've given it (Geezers occasionally are afflicted with this problem!).

Thus, it would be very handy to just be able to call up the entire waypoint list, either alphabetically or in order of closest to farthest. If I see the names, I'll recognize it! :ph34r:

Well, sometimes while wandering around on the internal mapping, I'll decide to save a waypoint somewhere in order to recall it later to view the map detail there, or show it to a customer because that particular point happens to show some interesting map features in a particular type of Map Source mapping. The problem is, I may have forgotten the exact name I've given it (Geezers occasionally are afflicted with this problem!).

Thus, it would be very handy to just be able to call up the entire waypoint list, either alphabetically or in order of closest to farthest. If I see the names, I'll recognize it! :D

Like Team Chinook, I suggest renaming/saving the WPs with a Q or a Z as the first letter, then they are easy to spot by spelling...

GO$Rs

No, the 60CSx does not have this problem. Press Find, press Menu, select Find By Name, and then press Page (to close the entry interface), and you have the list of all waypoints, regardless of distance.

GO$Rs

No, the 60CSx does not have this problem. Press Find, press Menu, select Find By Name, and then press Page (to close the entry interface), and you have the list of all waypoints, regardless of distance.

Right, but if you just do a Find>Waypoints you'll only see the closest 50 or all of the waypoints that show up within 150 miles. A similar type of search on the OR does the same thing although I'm not sure it has the distance limitation.

The OR does have a spell search feature but the problem is that you don't get an alphabetically ordered list of all waypoints when you enter this mode like you do on the 60csx. You have to type at least one character which filters the list.

GO$Rs

If I'm not mistaken when you transfer your tracks over to mapsource it also transfers your waypoints. That might be a way to grab them all and then view on a larger screen...just not in the field. But you could then edit and name it something meaningful.

Am I just being too picky are does anyone else notice the agravating inability of not being able to call up a listing of all saved waypoints in the "Waypoint Manager"?

Quite often I find myself wanting to call up a distant saved waypoint, only to find the "ever how many it is" of the closest ones displayed. Unless you happen to remember the name you gave a more distant point, how are you supposed to "recall" it! Earlier units didn't have this handicap. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere that lets you get around this issue somehow?