Looking to do my first Earthcaches

softball29

So, I want to work on putting a few Earthcaches out there. I really enjoy doing them and want to be able to place a few as well (and of course, work my way up the masters program!)

Anyway, I have a few places I'd like to do them. One is in a state park where there's probably the possibility of doing one or two. The park manager has already said he'd approve it, but now comes the work.

I'm just trying to figure out how to go about starting, finding something good to do the Earthcache with etc. There's a lake, a pond, many nature trails and countless miles of woods etc. There's a ton of stuff, but as someone who is still just learning Earthcaches and the "lessons," I'm a little overwhelmed trying to figure out how to go about beginning.

So, I guess I'm just hoping to find some good info on learning how to start the process, finding info and all that. I'm not afraid of research and work, I just want to make sure I'm going down the right path so I don't do a ton of work and find out I really went the wrong way!

Whew.

I have found these to be tougher than I thought. Trying to do some research and hoping I can get back up to the park again soon to do some peeking around and such. Seems like geology on this park is tough to find (history and all). I know there's something with the large lake that comes to the park, a pond inside the park and countless other things... it's just finding.

Argh. Hopefully I can find something soon. I am really into doing one or two in this park!

OK, I'm getting further along and such... had some questions.

I'm heading up to the park where I'm working on a pair of Earthcaches. Anyway, being that it's about a 45-minute ride, I want to make sure I have everything I need to prepare myself.

I figure I better bring a camera, my GPS of course, a pad etc. Is there anything else those who have done these bring with them? I am pretty excited to work on these and hopefully get them approved!

OK, I'm getting further along and such... had some questions.

I'm heading up to the park where I'm working on a pair of Earthcaches. Anyway, being that it's about a 45-minute ride, I want to make sure I have everything I need to prepare myself.

I figure I better bring a camera, my GPS of course, a pad etc. Is there anything else those who have done these bring with them? I am pretty excited to work on these and hopefully get them approved!

really depends on the feature that your trying to describe!

For instance, if you are doing a magnetic anomaly, bring a magnet and a compass. if you are doing a waterfall then such things would not likely be needed!

Softball29

I would highly recommend talking to Mama Geoslider of the Geosliders. They were the ones that hosted the picnic that we meet at.

When I run into a jam I contact her for insight and info for things in our area. Any EarthCache that is under the name Geosliders are very well done and I look forward to doing it.

Edited by genegene

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm ready to head up in the morning. I'm hoping to have two plotted at the state park I'm going to and then I have a third I want to go to as well in a different area.

Which leads me to my next question.

When going somewhere to ask permission (the third one will be at a small public park, maintained by a town), how do you go about it. In an area that isn't really pounded by geocaching, I don't want to just say "HI I AM DOING THIS..."

I'd rather have something to show them or explain etc. Is there something that can be shown for what an Earthcache is etc.?

Thanks for any help. I'll probably just be stopping by the third place tomorrow, getting some photos and working on the information I'd need for the Earthcache. Then trying to contact the people next week once I'm sure it would make for a good earthcache etc.

I'd rather have something to show them or explain etc. Is there something that can be shown for what an Earthcache is etc.?

Too late to help you for this project...but maybe it will help next time. I'd probably take along a copy of a couple of pages from the EarthCache.org site. Most liekly I'd use a page that shows the GSA logo and includes the names of the sponsors and perhaps one more with lots of nice photos of smiling people.

I'd also take along a card with my contact information. I'd leave all those things in their hands, even if their initial response was cool. Ask them to hang on to those things, perhaps check into it a bit on their own, and offer to call them back in a day or two.