Is this ethical?

Droo

When I received the "Discovery" notice today, I thought WTHeck. Why has someone discovered one of my coins from May? My next thought was WAIT, how could they, this particular coins hasn't been any where. Then I realized it was dated 2007. This was prior to it being in my possession. I couldn't figure it out and while talking with a fellow GeoCacher , I mentioned the log to him so we started discussing and checking. He found in the forum this thread. He also has this coin, un activated.

Neither of us thought this discovery / log was right. I feel this person should have thought this out before logging discoveries and why did they wait until now to log?

I'm still trying to understand how they came to have all the tracking numbers.

Edited by Nyra

As to your questions Sillygirl, no I think it is very bad form to write those numbers down at an event. If the coin isn't activated, then it's not ok to do anything with it.

The only time you should be able to discover a coin is if the owner of the coin wants you to, plain and simple.

When did this get so out of control? People are getting way to obsessed about those icons....

But if this person has all the tracking numbers or whatever he used to log them, can he discover the ones that wasn't activated. What happens if he decides to activate some that the owners haven't activated. Can it be undone to make it unactivated again. It brings up a few questions and what ifs we never thought about.

Yeah, this would be very bad new trend in geocoins, so let's hope that isn't the case.

We've had plenty of geocoin geocides, where people basically just sell off their collections, but this would be a bad evolution of your standard "geocoin harikari". More like a geocoin kamikaze who gets sick of collecting geocoins and wreaks havoc for others in the process of imploding. Hrm...new term? Coinikaze? ;):D

I've emailed the vendour who sold the coins to bring this to their attention and to request a response. This surely impacts them as well as the coins owners who expected mint condition coins. If this is not an issue for Groundspeak it may a contractual issue with the vendour.

Sorry to show up here so late but Droo failed to invite me untill after my motives had been preestablished and my reputation strung up.

I do have all the # and activation codes. No I did not activate any of the ones you own but could help you with it if needed. I logged them all as a fun little hello from the designer knowing full well that some people would delete the log and others would smile and say 'cool!'. I did this after Eric Buell (designer of all Buell bikes) signed my motorcyle. I was thinking it was a neat similar idea to log the coins.

I do not need the numbers or the icons as I already had the icons in both found and owned and no longer log travel bugs unless asked to by friends.

Droo was the first one to delete my log. I told that I could respect that and was ok with the delete and would not repost. He then started this campain to try and slander me.

It comes down to this. Yes it took some time (that is why the logs were short) and they are your coins. If you do not like the idea of me logging it just simply delete it and have no worries, I do respect your ideas and thoughts. There is no need to be upset as I did not intend to cause any trouble.

p.s. if you like the log but want it more personalize just email me.

I am sorry to some and your welcome to others... I think...

-mudnuri

Just curious, to Eric Buell just walk up to your bike while it was parked and take it upon himself to sign it, or did he ask you (or you ask him)? If he just walked up without your consent, I would call him very full of himself and disrespectful of your property. If, on the other hand, it was invited, well then, it's all good.

A simple email BEFORE you did it when have saved all this headache, and your name.

Just curious, to Eric Buell just walk up to your bike while it was parked and take it upon himself to sign it, or did he ask you (or you ask him)? If he just walked up without your consent, I would call him very full of himself and disrespectful of your property. If, on the other hand, it was invited, well then, it's all good.

A simple email BEFORE you did it when have saved all this headache, and your name.

Come on guys. A click of the mouse is strenuos for some but I fail to see how it is even close to paint thiner and some buffing.

Please do what you will with the logs and be over it. I am a nice guy that just never thought this would be a big deal. Still not sure how or why it became a big deal.

For the people that feal it is a big deal, please email me and I will click the button from my end to save you the mouse work ;)

Come on guys. A click of the mouse is strenuos for some but I fail to see how it is even close to paint thiner and some buffing.

Please do what you will with the logs and be over it. I am a nice guy that just never thought this would be a big deal. Still not sure how or why it became a big deal.

For the people that feal it is a big deal, please email me and I will click the button from my end to save you the mouse work ;)

So you want people everyone, whether they come here or not and may or may not have a clue as to even who you are, to inform you they want you to remove your bogus logs? Are you for real?

You put alot of people in a very bad position they normally don't choose to be in. Deleting a log of any sort is usually done as a last resort, and most people will leave it. Not because they think you are being cute, funny, or anything else you might claim falsely. They will leave the log because they choose not to have a confrontation.

You abused they GC system and betrayed everyone who's coin's you logged. You can down play it all you like and pretend it is funny, but the bottom line is the only thing becoming a joke here is your words and logs. I completely understand it's just a game, which is what makes it even more sad that you have nothing better to do than try to put your personal "tramp stamp" on other people's pages which appears to be nothing more than a self injected boost to your ego. Before this thread I had no clue who you were. During the thread I had no clue who this was about. Now that I have seen both sides, the coin owners and your weak excuse for abuse of a database, I have little respect for you.

If people get time outs here for posting somethign OT or for a bad link, then you sir deserve to have a serious time out from the higher ups.

Edited by pghlooking

Your opinion and a bit of a nasty one at that. perhaps you could reread my last posts slowly or get a friend to read them to you. I only offered a second option for people that are too worked up to function on there own.

Now go find a LLPC or work on a puzzle cache. I said I was sorry. What else do you want?

Lend me a time machine and I will go back and undo the past.

Or you can be a grown up in the real world and forgive me.

Once again.... SO SORRY!!!!!!

Your opinion and a bit of a nasty one at that. perhaps you could reread my last posts slowly or get a friend to read them to you. I only offered a second option for people that are too worked up to function on there own.

The truth hurts. Now I will continue to post without the personal attacks, can you do the same?

There shouldn't be a second option. Honestly there shouldn't even be a need to a first option, that is had you used common sense BEFORE doing this.

Now go find a LLPC or work on a puzzle cache. I said I was sorry. What else do you want?

I love how when people do something so screwed up and no defense for their actions they are so quick to tell people to go outside and cache. Imagine had you heeded your own advice. We wouldn't even have this thread about bogus discoveries.

How about deleting ALL the bogus logs. Maybe that would be a great place to start if you are so sincere.

Lend me a time machine and I will go back and undo the past.

Or you can be a grown up in the real world and forgive me.

Once again.... SO SORRY!!!!!!

Again I am amazed at the fact that you do a childish act, then want to challenge the maturity of other for calling you out on it? You just don't get it.

the gentleman has explained himself and whether you agree with his motivation or not, he has made the effort and amends. let's let it go. too nice a day to stress over someone else's humour or lack thereof.

rsg

Honestly RSG, you have been one of the people calling others out in the past, and didn't like it when others try to silence the words. You agred then that this is a set of forums to discuss matters. We will not all agree on everything, and rarely we will almost all agree on something. Trying to tell others when or when they can't continue with an on topic thread discussion that is relavant to the coin world, and you deciding when enough is enough, is just wrong. You only speak for yourself as do I. So if you are done with the topic, then please feel free to move on, but please allow others to continue discussing the thread as we are permitted by GC, and to do so without you or someone else trying to tell us we can't or shouldn't.

Also you might want to be a little slower when trying to judge someone you don't know's stress level. The actions of this bogus logger don't stress me. I find it sad and immature, but not even close to something that will stress me out.

Edited by pghlooking

..snip....

Droo was the first one to delete my log. I told that I could respect that and was ok with the delete and would not repost. He then started this campain to try and slander me.

...snip...

I have to disagree with you here. Please read my initial posts. No names were given in the original post. I was asked to divulge. Eventually I listed the coin when others started to report a similar experiences yesterday.

Please take your own derisive advice and ask a friend to read the thread for you and explain it. The only malice judgment was directed at YOUR ACTIONS of using tracking #s that were sold with coins, allegedly in mint condition.

I don't understand how you felt a right to go in and log notes to coins that never saw a cache, an event or daylight outside the owner's house! That is the issue here and it was clearly explained in my emails to you. Yelling and screaming at me in return, calling me and California cachers names and telling me to leave you the f... alone did not constitute respect for my deletion of your log or even an inclination to engage in the conversation. But that's just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Edited by Droo

the gentleman has explained himself and whether you agree with his motivation or not, he has made the effort and amends. let's let it go. too nice a day to stress over someone else's humour or lack thereof.

rsg

Honestly RSG, you have been one of the people calling others out in the past, and didn't like it when others try to silence the words. You agred then that this is a set of forums to discuss matters. ..

you are right - to a point. usually i call out others when the issue seems to be bigger - but that is just in my eyes.

i think the discussion is a good one and i would never suggest stopping it — but perhaps i've learned a lesson - not to beat a dead horse after it apologized.

apology is pretty important doncha think. oh and thanks pgh, you always seem to be the one to point out my wrongdoings. ;-)

rsg

I wouldn't exactly call it a dead horse when 9 minutes before your post, someone else posts of a similar happening. Now would you?

Appoligies without action are nothing more than empty words. IN this case they are for the sake of ending a public viewing of someone's actions. You are doing nothing but supporting him by allowing him to walk away unscathed because he said sorry. No I don't think saying you are sorry in all that important. Saying you are sorry and acting like it is a whole different story.

I am unsure where your snide remark about me always pointing out your wrongdoings is coming from. I can't think of another thread where I told you how off base you were. I have agreed with you before and disagreed with you before, but am not sure where I told you before about your wrongdoings. Either way it wouldn't be relevant because I am talking about your words here, not a track record since those words have nothing to to do with the thread at hand. Try discussing the issue at hand and not taking everything so personal.

I've also had a similar thing happen (and presumably so have others) with the eragonSaphira & GRC Mint Geocoin :ph34r:

So it's okay?

As a coin buyer do you expect your mint condition coin to be unused as well as uncirculated? Or can you live with the fact the tracking number is just ever so slightly used. Doesn't that affect the retail value?

It's one thing to buy a coin on Ebay and realize it's been around the block a few times or even win a slightly used coin at a raffle or cointest but you wouldn't expect it from a coin bought at Geoswag, HogWild, CoinAndPins, Castleman, Geocoinstore, Geocoinshop or any of the other majors.

Again.... it's not the logging of discoveries to coins in circulation by the makers that is the problem (who'd notice?) but to coins that have never circulated. Should this be a issue that is addressed by GS when they sell activation codes to coin makers?

I do have all the # and activation codes. No I did not activate any of the ones you own but could help you with it if needed. I logged them all as a fun little hello from the designer knowing full well that some people would delete the log and others would smile and say 'cool!'. I did this after Eric Buell (designer of all Buell bikes) signed my motorcyle. I was thinking it was a neat similar idea to log the coins.

This is like a company putting fliers under you wiper blade out iun the parking lot. Sure most will throw it aside and nothing will come of it. But a few pick it it and use it to support the business then great for the business.

It comes down to this. Yes it took some time (that is why the logs were short) and they are your coins. If you do not like the idea of me logging it just simply delete it and have no worries, I do respect your ideas and thoughts. There is no need to be upset as I did not intend to cause any trouble.

Sure the company can put them out all day long, but do you ever see them picking up the ones tossed aside. Why do it when The customers can for us.

p.s. if you like the log but want it more personalize just email me.

I am sorry to some and your welcome to others... I think...

-mudnuri

Sounds like he don't care to get deleted but if he gets a few to be ok with it then it is a win for him. Show him by deleting everyone he has done then if he wants he can ask individuals to discover coins. Bet he won't after that.

IMO, I would not want this to happen to any of my coins either. I do not have as many as some but I am new to this and believe in taking this and making changes to the future of how this can be avoided in the future. This feedback is not "beating a dead horse" it is a catalyst for making a change for the good of all. Thanks to all who openly spoke their mind to bring this to light.

Koolbrez

The real answer is "it depends".

You can buy a coin or "lease" it. If you lease it, you don't really owner it. Most of us assume we are buying the coin and act accordintly. Most of the time that's the case.

The tracking number is similar. You may or may not have bought the tracking of the coin. Most folks assume that they go together. Technically they don't, though for most folks they are treated as if they do and most times they are right.

Because of what's "Normal" unless they said otherwise you bought the coin and you bought the right to track in on this site. That would mean that it's not ethical for the original owner (the minter) to log it without your permission.

I think that most people who buy and move geocoins don't hang out in here debating the ethics of coining. I really doubt this guy thought that anyone would be bothered by his log... with 14 forum posts I don't think he imagined how heated the discussions get in here. If he did, why would he have done it?

I think as the designer (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a personal coin?) he saw the coin as a little piece of himself and really just wanted to leave a note to say hi to all of the people who bought it. Like a little personal connection through the geoworld. Maybe if he logged a note rather than a discovery it would bother people less? ...because it would take the silly icon out of the equation? or is that still database abuse?

Either way, he did apologize and explain his motives. Now he knows that his actions have been deemed "unethical" Next time he mints a personal coin he knows not to do that. Not sure what else you want?

I think that most people who buy and move geocoins don't hang out in here debating the ethics of coining. I really doubt this guy thought that anyone would be bothered by his log... with 14 forum posts I don't think he imagined how heated the discussions get in here. If he did, why would he have done it?

I think as the designer (correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a personal coin?) he saw the coin as a little piece of himself and really just wanted to leave a note to say hi to all of the people who bought it. Like a little personal connection through the geoworld. Maybe if he logged a note rather than a discovery it would bother people less? ...because it would take the silly icon out of the equation? or is that still database abuse?

Either way, he did apologize and explain his motives. Now he knows that his actions have been deemed "unethical" Next time he mints a personal coin he knows not to do that. Not sure what else you want?

I agree that alot of people don't come here to the forums, but I would disagree in this case. Just because he doesn't post doesn't mean he isn't here. A post count is no indication of how much time you spend here. I know lots of people who know everything that goes on here and I have neevr seen them post once. He had a personal coin minted. That's not something a drive by does.

Whetehr he logged the coin as discovered or a note is no different to me. He abused the system by using knowledge that wasn't common to eevryone to leave his mark on pther people's personal property. he made the choice to allow his caching name to be commercially used. People spent their money on these items and they are the ones, not him, that get to choose what happens with their coins. these are not his coins to play with.

Once again words are easy to say. He came in here at the begining to save his name. He started out defensive like he did nothing wrong, then changed his tune slightly. For someone who "gets it" by appoligizing, I would think they would also make ammends to their actions. He still have over 130 of these logs out there. I would think if he truly meant his words he would have deleted them. In my eyes this was nothing but a way for him to get people to support him behind the "He appologized" stance and "don't beat a dead horse" mantra. Actions speak much more than his words and right now his actions say he doesn't care about these other people, just himself.

Just read this thread...seems a bit egotistical to me as well! I like the comment about the bike maker signing the bike...I'm betting it was by invitation...from you, the owner!

If the maker were to ask, I'm sure the owner (or some of them) would agree to allow a discovery, but to do it without permission is like entering my house to use my stove which you made in a factory. If the bike maker were to come by and scribble their name on my bike, I'd likely be a bit miffed and might call the practice out for others to see....and maybe even call the PTB and see if something couldn't be done about it!

Oh wait...that's what happened here??

You're not being ethical and then you're complaining when called out?? Shoulda thought it through and asked first IMHO!

ETA: I'm giving away coins for my "Todie's Wild Ride" cointest, I activate them for the winner, adopt them to the winner and send them out. I've held the coins, I've "owned" the coins yet I haven't left a discovery or even a note on any of these coins as they aren't mine to do so with!! I'm certain the new owners would be happy with me asking to discover them, but that's not my game!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

BTW, this has nothing to do with the vendour. They just happened to have brokered the minting of the coin and its sale, I pressume. It's the guy who the coin was made for who is claiming "ownership" or rights to the list of tracking#s sold to customers with the coins who is doing this without even asking if it's okay.

Unless the coin is registered in his name and appears under the "Owner" information...

The short answer is you did exactly what you should have. Upon receiving any kind of negative response after deleting his post, I'd be reporting him to TPTB. :rolleyes:

If the return you received was a simple hello, etc. then it's up to you what to do with it. I wouldn't have a problem with someone logging it who asked first, but asking is the key. :ph34r:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I have been reading this thread from time to time and a couple of posts have mentioned "notes" on an activated geocoin. Can I ask something?

I am fairly new to geocaching (just over a year) and I have written a note on a coin that was placed in my cache. I did not see it, touch it, etc. I just had a bit of info related to the mission that I wanted to share with the owner. Is THAT unethical too?? I was under the impression that writing a note on a coin that you haven't seen was ok. Can someone set me straight?

Perhaps this question is a bit off topic but there were a couple of posters that indicated that posting a note on these coins also would have been frowned upon...unless I missed the intention.

I have been reading this thread from time to time and a couple of posts have mentioned "notes" on an activated geocoin. Can I ask something?

I am fairly new to geocaching (just over a year) and I have written a note on a coin that was placed in my cache. I did not see it, touch it, etc. I just had a bit of info related to the mission that I wanted to share with the owner. Is THAT unethical too?? I was under the impression that writing a note on a coin that you haven't seen was ok. Can someone set me straight?

Perhaps this question is a bit off topic but there were a couple of posters that indicated that posting a note on these coins also would have been frowned upon...unless I missed the intention.

As long as you're not logging it as found or discovered, I couldn't see the harm in it. As a coin owner myself, I think I'd actually like to find a random note once in awhile. :rolleyes:

Writing a note to a coin's travel page does not require a tracking number so anyone can do it. But to find the coin it has to be out and about. The coin's icon is posted to a cache and you may want to get to it or have thoughts about it. Perfectly reasonable and acceptable, I should think.

I fouy are doing something of a helpful nature, or have some info to add about the coin, then by all means thats OK. The difference here is someone is adding something that is not of interest to the owner or anyone watching the coin. The only person this is for is the person posting the note. This is an ego trip of sorts rather than information being handed out. What you have done is fine though.

I fouy are doing something of a helpful nature, or have some info to add about the coin, then by all means thats OK. The difference here is someone is adding something that is not of interest to the owner or anyone watching the coin. The only person this is for is the person posting the note. This is an ego trip of sorts rather than information being handed out. What you have done is fine though.

What does "fouy" mean :) You from Pittsburgh?

What does "fouy" mean :) You from Pittsburgh?

I believe it means bite me, but I am not completely sure. :)

Ok, thanks for the clarification. In my case, yes, I was trying to post some info of interest (hopefully!), directly related to the mission, for the owner.

From my own perspective, I have thought about activating some of my special coins that I plan on keeping. One idea was to activate them so that I could show my friends or other interested cachers and discuss the coin. At that point they would be able to discover it. I wouldn't be necessarily happy about someone "helping themselves" to the discovery of my coin. I see it as needing an invitation personally.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. In my case, yes, I was trying to post some info of interest (hopefully!), directly related to the mission, for the owner.

From my own perspective, I have thought about activating some of my special coins that I plan on keeping. One idea was to activate them so that I could show my friends or other interested cachers and discuss the coin. At that point they would be able to discover it. I wouldn't be necessarily happy about someone "helping themselves" to the discovery of my coin. I see it as needing an invitation personally.

Exactomundo! You hit the nail on the head and drove it all the way. Releasing a coin or bringing to an event is just such an invitation and "helping themselves", as you so nicely put it, without that invitation is the insult that was done here.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

Hmmm .... I have been known to leave a "note" on my personal if/when I find one activated just to leave the story that is behind the coin for those who might be interested. I figure if someone objects they could just delete the note. I hope this is ok, but at least I haven't gotten a complaint anyway.

Here's the key difference. If/when you fnd one. I don't think you are using the database of all the coins that were made and doing this to all the coins.

One thing I have not seen mentioned or explained throughout this whole deal. How did this person get ahold of the database? Alot of personals are done through a vendor through one of the resell programs where you get X number of coins and they sell the rest. If that was the case he shouldn't have be privey to the entire list of codes. If he sold them himself then I understand.

Very well put. Our coins and TB's that we have released and placed in a cache that becomes a public guestbook for anyone to write what they want. We enjoy reading them and print them out and put them in our scrapbook. But I buy coins that I put in a book with the story behind it which goes along with my scrapbooks and photo albums. Paper fades but metal last forever. That was the case with the coin that was logged by the person who supposedly made it. When he logged it, it had no meaning for us. We had never met him, and we bought it from the coin store and I never thought that there was an actual person behind it. When the person logged all that was activated it seemed to become part of the game rather than part of our family history which was what we intended it to be. I even have coins made with the year and a special time for us that happened that year and give it as a Christmas gift to our family. It means something to us but not to any one else. My grandsons name is on the 2008 kids community coin, it is taken to his favorite caches and discovered by his favorite people and becomes part of his history. We don't want uninvited quest signing our private guestbook.

Hmmm .... I have been known to leave a "note" on my personal if/when I find one activated just to leave the story that is behind the coin for those who might be interested. I figure if someone objects they could just delete the note. I hope this is ok, but at least I haven't gotten a complaint anyway.

Here's the key difference. If/when you fnd one. I don't think you are using the database of all the coins that were made and doing this to all the coins.

One thing I have not seen mentioned or explained throughout this whole deal. How did this person get ahold of the database? Alot of personals are done through a vendor through one of the resell programs where you get X number of coins and they sell the rest. If that was the case he shouldn't have be privey to the entire list of codes. If he sold them himself then I understand.

The debate over who owns tracking numbers and activation codes isn't new. It's pretty obvious that the guy requested the codes, and the vendor obliged. Fault the vendor for being friendly and trusting to the client that initiated the whole project. I'm sure they won't be giving out anymore codes, because again...nobody saw this coming. Another friendly business gesture down the drain. :(

I was given some unactivated coins once as a gift and recently found out they got activated by them almost a year later.

:(:laughing:

Did you contact them? I activated a wrong coin number on one of my personals not long ago, I have no idea if it is one still in my box, or I gifted it out and it was left unactivated?? I marked it missing and have seen nor heard anything since.

The debate over who owns tracking numbers and activation codes isn't new. It's pretty obvious that the guy requested the codes, and the vendor obliged. Fault the vendor for being friendly and trusting to the client that initiated the whole project. I'm sure they won't be giving out anymore codes, because again...nobody saw this coming. Another friendly business gesture down the drain. :(

I did get a reply from the vendour after I emailed them the story. Nothing concrete as yet but they say they'll be in touch with Groundspeak about this.

I hope some clearer guidelines can be drawn over the issue of tracking #/activation code ownership. As it stands it's assumed that ownership is passed on to the paying customer with the coin. It is also assumed that if the coin remains unactivated the tracking # is new and unused.

Edited by Droo

I did get a reply from the vendour after I emailed them the story. Nothing concrete as yet but they say they'll be in touch with Groundspeak about this.

I hope some clearer guidelines can be drawn over the issue of tracking #/activation code ownership. As it stands it's assumed that ownership is passed on to the paying customer with the coin. It is also assumed that if the coin remains unactivated the tracking # is new and unused.

Let's keep in mind that this could happen with ANY coin...personal, commercial, or part of a fulfillment. Somebody, somewhere has your codes and it's a matter of integrity. Heck, even Signal could discover your Groundspeak Lackey coin if he were so inclined.

This is simply a rogue act by one person that's now been brought to light, and to the attention of Groundspeak. E-mailing the vendor is a good heads up, but I'm just not sure what else anyone is hoping to achieve here beyond venting and further arguing. I agree with you, and it's pretty much unanimous, that this was a presumptuous and unwelcome act on the part of one person. The vendor couldn't foresee this, and they can't undo what the client did...but they can adjust future policy.