Magnetic sign idea?

dukeofurl01

Most seem to have either a little pocket made out of some sort of plastic or duct tape that holds a regular logsheet, or else they have a flap that is taped at the top and you just lift it up to acesss the logsheet that is glued to the magnet. Either way, this type of "container" is not very weatherproof. If the utility box is under a roof or somehow sheltered, and if you use waterproof paper, it will have a much better chance of not needing a ton of maintenance. Good luck!

HEY..... I HAVE SEVERAL OF THE MAG SIGN, FLAGS, AND RIBBONS.... I PUT A VERY LIGHT COAT OF GRAY PAINT ON THE FRONT..... TO RELIEF THE SHINE....

THEN TURN IT OVER AND PUT A MUCH HEAVYER COAT ON THE BACK.... SOMETIMES I THEN TAKE A BALL POINT AND LINE IT OUT.... BUT NOW I JUST PUT THE GC# ON THE TOP AND PUT IT UP.....

I HAD A PINK BRAST CANCER RIBBON, THE DECAL PEALED OFF.... SO I PAINTED BOTH SIDES HEAVY GRAY..... IT'S ON A GRAY BREAKER BOX..... THE HIDE WENT FROM A 2 TO A 4.... ENJOY....L8R MYFREDY

I'm thinking of hiding a cache that is a magnetic sheet with numbers on the side of a utility box. I'm sure almost everyone has seen it before. But I'm looking for ideas on how to attach a log to it. Can anyone suggest anything?

Don't attach a log to it, make it a multi-cache.

But be aware that utility boxes can have high voltage on them, they are not your property, law enforcement officials will not look kindly with people apparently tampering with them...

I'm thinking of hiding a cache that is a magnetic sheet with numbers on the side of a utility box. I'm sure almost everyone has seen it before. But I'm looking for ideas on how to attach a log to it. Can anyone suggest anything?

But be aware that utility boxes can have high voltage on them, they are not your property, law enforcement officials will not look kindly with people apparently tampering with them...

Ditto.

When I first saw this technique it was a stage in a multi. I thought it was creative and unique. Then I saw it as a stand alone cache. I wasn't impressed. In fact, it went bye-bye after some seekers were questions by law enforcement.

Once a technique becomes popular it's no longer unique and creative, it's passé and boring. Like lamp posts hides, when folks are pointed to the typical object a magnetic sheet cache is attached to they will go right to it and start checking stickers.

You can paint the magnetic side with flat white paint, then draw lines using a ruler and ballpoint pen. Bingo - a log sheet.

This seems to work pretty well. After a couple of years the paint may start to flake, which just means it's time to sand and re-finish.

The lettering on the sign could be the GC code.

A cache must have a container AND a log sheet. A container is something that encloses a log. So, this style of cache would not be published.

The ideas with Rite in the Rain Paper or plastic pouches are just fine.

Ditto.

When I first saw this technique it was a stage in a multi. I thought it was creative and unique. Then I saw it as a stand alone cache. I wasn't impressed. In fact, it went bye-bye after some seekers were questions by law enforcement.

Once a technique becomes popular it's no longer unique and creative, it's passé and boring. Like lamp posts hides, when folks are pointed to the typical object a magnetic sheet cache is attached to they will go right to it and start checking stickers.

I've probably found 30 or so lamp post hides (out of 531 finds) but I've only seen one that was a magnetic sheet. I actually adopted that one when the previous owner left the area. Maybe it's not new or creative to a seasoned veteran cacher but why should caches be placed only to cater to those that have seen it all before. From the logs I see on the one I own there were still lots of them that were stumped for awhile and a fairly significant number of DNFs. It's pretty clear that the hide is still enjoyed by most that find it.

On that cache, a lot sheet is folded over a few times, placed in a plastic bag and taped to the back of the magnetic sign. It's also attached to something that is under a roof so the weather doesn't affect it. I've only had to maintain the cache once in over a year when the log got full.

Just out of curiosity, do you (CoyoteRed) use a different handle now for finding caches and posting to the forums? I ask because according to the profile for CoyoteRed you only have six finds (all by the same CO) and all of the logs for them were critical of the hides all because they didn't bring to someplace that you enjoyed. I've been reading the forums long enough to realize that different geocachers do this for many different reasons and it's not always exclusively about location, location, location.

Funny thing . . . I have found a number of these magnetic sheets on metal fixtures and, sometimes, I STILL get fooled by them - sometimes the mind wanders and other targets cause distraction and result in a 'head-slapper' find. I love them! ;)

LPC caches are often simply gifts for the cacher in-a-hurry-on-a-tight-schedule - I have one that gets a lot of activity that is appreciated by finders, some are even confused from being less experienced. They are fun hides and do not poorly impact the sites. If the location is one that has 'a reason to be there' other than finding a cache - great!

In response to CR, I have a rule-of-thumb on hides - if I feel strange and concerned about hiding/hunting a cache due to it's location, it is probably NOT a good place for the cache. I would be adding potential grief to every hider that visited it and involving authorities, in a negative way, in our game. I have learned to be careful of such hides (& hunts).

So, IMO, transformer boxes, circuit boxes and the like, though great for magnetics, would make a cacher look very supsicious and cause concern to an officer charged with premises' protection. Maybe, we should use other devices to attach our hides.

I've probably found 30 or so lamp post hides (out of 531 finds) but I've only seen one that was a magnetic sheet. I actually adopted that one when the previous owner left the area. Maybe it's not new or creative to a seasoned veteran cacher but why should caches be placed only to cater to those that have seen it all before. From the logs I see on the one I own there were still lots of them that were stumped for awhile and a fairly significant number of DNFs. It's pretty clear that the hide is still enjoyed by most that find it.
Everything is new to someone who hasn't seen it before--even a LPC. Does that mean it is good and has to be cloned everywhere? If the magnetic sheet cache was as easy to produce as a LPC you'd see a lot more. An LPC you simply have to find an already-provided lamp post with liftable skirt and plop down a micro. The MSC means you actually have to gather materials.

Just because there are fewer of them or it stumps people doesn't mean it a decent cache.

Just out of curiosity, do you (CoyoteRed) use a different handle now for finding caches and posting to the forums? I ask because according to the profile for CoyoteRed you only have six finds (all by the same CO) and all of the logs for them were critical of the hides all because they didn't bring to someplace that you enjoyed.
Yep. Read the whole profile page instead of looking to see "how experienced" I am and you would have noted this...
All of my finds I have made and log with the account I share with my wife, Sissy.
... on that page.

She refused to allow me to log those caches on our common account. If you think I'm critical...

It's a long story and long time ago. I'd like to leave it there as I've moved on. I'm not happy with the turn that's been made here, but I've got an ignore button. Unfortunately, I use it a lot.

I've been reading the forums long enough to realize that different geocachers do this for many different reasons and it's not always exclusively about location, location, location.
Yes, you're right, some folks don't need a nice location in order to be fulfilled when out caching--all they need is to know they can log their all-precious smilie.
Everything is new to someone who hasn't seen it before--even a LPC. Does that mean it is good and has to be cloned everywhere? If the magnetic sheet cache was as easy to produce as a LPC you'd see a lot more. An LPC you simply have to find an already-provided lamp post with liftable skirt and plop down a micro. The MSC means you actually have to gather materials.

Just because there are fewer of them or it stumps people doesn't mean it a decent cache.

I disagree. The fact that there are fewer of them does make it much more unique than a LPC, a guard rail hide-a-key, even an ammo can stuck in a log. The fact that it stumps people, IMHO, does make it a decent cache in that it challenges the seeker to use their imagination in how the cache was hidden. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours caching along a couple of really pretty seasonal roads that I'd never been on in a forest about 20 miles from where I live. Of the 7 caches I found, 5 of them were decon containers stuck in holes in trees (in most cases, which tree was obvious from 100' away). All were in very pretty spots but when I came home to logged them I had trouble remembering one from another.

It's a long story and long time ago. I'd like to leave it there as I've moved on. I'm not happy with the turn that's been made here, but I've got an ignore button. Unfortunately, I use it a lot.

I'll be happy to move on from that specific incident, and only really used it to indicate a pattern of what I thought was being excessively critical of a certain type of hide because it didn't me your personal criteria for a "decent" cache.

I've been reading the forums long enough to realize that different geocachers do this for many different reasons and it's not always exclusively about location, location, location.
Yes, you're right, some folks don't need a nice location in order to be fulfilled when out caching--all they need is to know they can log their all-precious smilie.

I don't see it as such a black and white issue. One of the things I like about geocaching is the variety. Location is good. A nice walk in the woods is good. An interesting historical feature is good. A hide that makes me think is good. A clever container is good....etc, etc. Insinuating that if a cache doesn't meet your personal criteria for a decent cache, and someone else still enjoys it, then they must be a numbers hound is pretty rude.

Of the 7 caches I found, 5 of them were decon containers stuck in holes in trees (in most cases, which tree was obvious from 100' away). All were in very pretty spots but when I came home to logged them I had trouble remembering one from another.
Maybe you didn't remember the individual cache, but you remember the area. Nice location, right? You're touching on part of what a lot of us like about geocaching. It becomes an adventure. You're seeking treasure. The smilie is not the treasure. The hide technique is not the treasure. The swag is not the treasure. The adventure is the treasure!

Insinuating that if a cache doesn't meet your personal criteria for a decent cache, and someone else still enjoys it, then they must be a numbers hound is pretty rude.

Eh, I've been called worse.

Funny thing is every time I get into a conversation like this it's insinuated that I must have some sort of lofty quality standards (not saying you did) and that's simply not the case. I have a standard. Some don't have any at all. It's been my personal experience that folks who have no standard are pretty much in it for the ego stroking that collecting smilies gives you.

I just found a cache this weekend that used a mag sheet. It was a multi and the second stage had the mag sheet with cords on it. Stuck to the underside of a guardrail made it almost impossible to see unless you stuck your head between the guardrail and the building and stood on your head.

Also I have found cords to another stage on the back of a sign where the cords where on a small mag sheet. Almost totally missed it.

I just found a cache this weekend that used a mag sheet. It was a multi and the second stage had the mag sheet with cords on it. Stuck to the underside of a guardrail made it almost impossible to see unless you stuck your head between the guardrail and the building and stood on your head.

Also I have found cords to another stage on the back of a sign where the cords where on a small mag sheet. Almost totally missed it.

The most evil use of magnetic sheet I've heard of--and thankfully wasn't victim to--was an ammo can with a magnetic sheet bottom that revealed more clues. IIRC, you were left thinking you found an empty container if you didn't examine the bottom very well to see the magnetic sheet.

That's just flat out wrong!

:rolleyes:

Edited by CoyoteRed

The most evil use of magnetic sheet I've heard of--and thankfully wasn't victim to--was an ammo can with a magnetic sheet bottom that revealed more clues. IIRC, you were left thinking you found an empty container if you didn't examine the bottom very well to see the magnetic sheet.

That's just flat out wrong!

:)

We found one like that. In the bottom of the can was a magnet, cut to fit the exact size of the bottom. Painted on it was "Keep Looking!" So we closed up the can, rehid it, and searched all around some more. After returning home and logging a DNF, it came to me in the middle of the night where the cache might be, and sure enough, the logsheet was underneath the flat magent in the bottom of the cacn. It was SOOOOO cool! :)

Of the 7 caches I found, 5 of them were decon containers stuck in holes in trees (in most cases, which tree was obvious from 100' away). All were in very pretty spots but when I came home to logged them I had trouble remembering one from another.
Maybe you didn't remember the individual cache, but you remember the area. Nice location, right? You're touching on part of what a lot of us like about geocaching. It becomes an adventure. You're seeking treasure. The smilie is not the treasure. The hide technique is not the treasure. The swag is not the treasure. The adventure is the treasure!

For me, the adventure includes how it was hidden, and the location and the journey and the hide technique and (for me) may contain multiple instances. A really good adventure contains a variety of caches. Yes, the location was nice on those decon container, but my point was that location, by it self doesn't necessarily make it a good, or at least memorable, cache.

I think I understand your objection to a magnetic sign cache and the comparison to a LPC. I, however, think it's an unfair comparison as they are far less common than a LPC, and in at least in my next of the woods are pretty unique. They also seem, as exemplified by your post about the magnetic sheet in the bottom of the ammo can, seem to be a lot more conducive to creativity. I also don't condone the "more of the same is better" mentality.

Insinuating that if a cache doesn't meet your personal criteria for a decent cache, and someone else still enjoys it, then they must be a numbers hound is pretty rude.

Eh, I've been called worse.

Funny thing is every time I get into a conversation like this it's insinuated that I must have some sort of lofty quality standards (not saying you did) and that's simply not the case. I have a standard. Some don't have any at all. It's been my personal experience that folks who have no standard are pretty much in it for the ego stroking that collecting smilies gives you.

Have you asked yourself why that seems to happen every time you get into a discussion like this?

While I think you may have loftier quality standards than many, that's not what I was objecting to. What you implied is that those that enjoyed a cache which you may not have, have no standards and are therefore only in it for the smilies. They may also have a standard, a standard as equally valid as yours. It may be that their standard is more influenced by a hidden which challenges them mentally. Maybe they spend lots of time on back country trails and have seen most of the interesting locations in the area so an easily found cache in a spot that they're already familiar with might not have as much of an attraction.

For me, the adventure includes how it was hidden, and the location and the journey and the hide technique and (for me) may contain multiple instances. A really good adventure contains a variety of caches. Yes, the location was nice on those decon container, but my point was that location, by it self doesn't necessarily make it a good, or at least memorable, cache.
I agree, a location all by itself might not do it for everyone. That's not to say you shouldn't at least try to put a cache in a decent location. A variety of well hidden, well stocked caches in interesting locations along a broad spectrum of difficulties and styles is good. Heavy interest in trinket-less micros in any convenient hiding spot is not.

The smilie should be a bonus, not the reason, for placing a cache.

Have you asked yourself why that seems to happen every time you get into a discussion like this?
Yes, and the conclusion I've come up with is so many folks want to do the very minimum.

While I think you may have loftier quality standards than many, that's not what I was objecting to. What you implied is that those that enjoyed a cache which you may not have, have no standards and are therefore only in it for the smilies. They may also have a standard, a standard as equally valid as yours. It may be that their standard is more influenced by a hidden which challenges them mentally. Maybe they spend lots of time on back country trails and have seen most of the interesting locations in the area so an easily found cache in a spot that they're already familiar with might not have as much of an attraction.
I'm saying it is the sole reason, though I can see how my post can read like that.

Additionally, when I first mentioned I'd like for my caches to not contribute to anyone's find count, one person asked "why should I hunt your caches?" The only difference in his desire to hunt or not hunt my cache was the smilie. Now, how many folks follow that philosophy? I don't know. I'd be willing lay money on our easier caches would a lot fewer finds if they didn't provide the smilie.

We found one like that. In the bottom of the can was a magnet, cut to fit the exact size of the bottom. ...

and sure enough, the logsheet was underneath the flat magent in the bottom of the cacn. It was SOOOOO cool! :)

Were you able to extract the magnet from the bottom without too much trouble?

Yes...there was just enough of a slit on the side to get a grip with your fingernails and pull it out. The magnet was flexible, so it was able to bend to facilitate removing it from the can.