Ever come up on a cache that required two people to retrieve?

team140

I've got a 5 & 5 I'm planning and could use some suggestions. Seems most of the really adventurous peruse this side of the forum I figured this would be a great place to ask.

Has anyone here went to a cache only to find out it takes two people to retrieve the cache? I'm trying to come up with an idea to keep the container out of reach of just one person. Not anybody in particular... just to make it more interesting :anibad:

My engineering side isn't working very well and I have a hard time thinking outside the box!

The best I've managed to come up with is some type of lever system with the cache elevated - person #1 raises one end of the lever so person #2 can retrieve the cache.

Thought about doing the hanging cache bit, but one person could retrieve it easily.

How have you seen it done - or how would you do it?

LUMBERJACKS ONLY!

i haven't found it, nor will i unless i have help, but that takes two people to do. I'm not sure if there are any others in this area. Im sure other people will post others

I hadn't thought about placing it high up in a tree - although it still could be done with one person and the right equipment ^_^

After thinking about it a little more, two trees, about 100' length of parachute cord, two pulleys and a heavy weight may be just what the doctor ordered :unsure:

Has anyone here went to a cache only to find out it takes two people to retrieve the cache?

My engineering side isn't working very well and I have a hard time thinking outside the box!

The best I've managed to come up with is some type of lever system with the cache elevated - person #1 raises one end of the lever so person #2 can retrieve the cache.

Thought about doing the hanging cache bit, but one person could retrieve it easily.

Don't think in terms of requiring two people. It would be extremely difficult to engineer something that requires two people. If you're having trouble thinking of how to do it, then you'd probably have difficulty in implementing it.

A better way to think about it is making it more difficult to figure out a way to do it solo versus bringing a friend. Just a for instance: you have a stage up in a tree, it's a very difficult climb, but the stage is locked and the key is tethered at ground level to a nearby tree. Sure a solo seeker could climb the tree, lower the stage, take it to the other tree, open and read the clue, and re-climb the tree to return the stage. Or he could lower it to a friend.

How have you seen it done - or how would you do it?
The problem with discussing such things in an open forum is folks are able to pre-engineer a way to do it solo. You're trying to prevent this.

I suggest simply thinking of a concept and then try to circumvent it. You will be your own worse critic. Then when you think of something even half-way workable, put it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reactions.

Hope this helps.

The problem with discussing such things in an open forum is folks are able to pre-engineer a way to do it solo. You're trying to prevent this.

I suggest simply thinking of a concept and then try to circumvent it. You will be your own worse critic. Then when you think of something even half-way workable, put it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reactions.

Hope this helps.

Good point. It was a long day and my thought process was smoldering last night.

I think I've come up with a solution to the two-person requirement. Although one person could pull it off, the cache couldn't be set back up for the next cacher without help.

We'll be going out tomorrow and placing it as well as getting all of the coordinates for the rest of the stages ;)

Hope this helps.

I think I've come up with a solution to the two-person requirement. Although one person could pull it off, the cache couldn't be set back up for the next cacher without help.

We'll be going out tomorrow and placing it as well as getting all of the coordinates for the rest of the stages ;)

I had the opportunity to do a cache once where the final was a vertical pipe attached to a tree. You were told to look for tools and nearby you found a gallon jug. So.. you headed down to the marsh to fill it up and float the cache which was down in the bottom of the pipe. Easy for once person so far? Well, the owner drilled a bunch of holes in the pipe and by the time you got back from the marsh the pipe was drained again! A well prepared cacher would have tape with him or other things to plug up the holes but they had an answer for that too. Some of the holes were on the backside of the pipe and were not reachable and made a slow enough leak that you almost had to have a team to do it.

The first time I poured water in that pipe and water stared spouting in different directions, I just howled.

Hope this helps.

I had the opportunity to do a cache once where the final was a vertical pipe attached to a tree. You were told to look for tools and nearby you found a gallon jug. So.. you headed down to the marsh to fill it up and float the cache which was down in the bottom of the pipe. Easy for once person so far? Well, the owner drilled a bunch of holes in the pipe and by the time you got back from the marsh the pipe was drained again! A well prepared cacher would have tape with him or other things to plug up the holes but they had an answer for that too. Some of the holes were on the backside of the pipe and were not reachable and made a slow enough leak that you almost had to have a team to do it.

The first time I poured water in that pipe and water stared spouting in different directions, I just howled.

That is what i was think of for a cache that required 2 people.

Did you ever here that if you build a better mouse trap you will just make a smarter mouse? I cache solo the vast majority of the time and if a cache suggested needing 2 people I would likely try to figure a way to do it by myself.

Just like caches that say you need a watercraft to get to them. My first thought is always can I wade or swim since I do not have a boat.

Well, the cache has been placed. It took some quick engineering to get it to work properly, but it is placed.

A single person could retrieve the cache by themselves if they were prepared, but judging on where the final cache lies, it would be very wise to not go by yourself. The hike is quite long and treacherous if you go on foot :ph34r:

Did you ever here that if you build a better mouse trap you will just make a smarter mouse? I cache solo the vast majority of the time and if a cache suggested needing 2 people I would likely try to figure a way to do it by myself.

Just like caches that say you need a watercraft to get to them. My first thought is always can I wade or swim since I do not have a boat.

What kinda irks me is when someone tries to be a smarter mouse and breaks something on the cache. Or worse, puts themselves in harms way and then complains about it.

I have a private multi cache on Boy Scout property that has such a cache. It's on the C.O.P.E. course. Several stages of this cache require a seeker to use the buddy system. One stage in particular is designed around the part of the low C.O.P.E. course where a team of people have to remove a tire from around a telephone pole that extends maybe 20' into the air. They have to work together to remove the tire. Naturally, I placed the cache container near the top of that pole.

I remember a multi cache at a rest area that the north coord could only be found by men, the west only by women...

How on earth do you find a cache only by using your breasts? What if mine aren't big enough?

I can always walk into a rest room intended for the opposite sex, I do not need anybody for that.

I remember a multi cache at a rest area that the north coord could only be found by men, the west only by women...

How on earth do you find a cache only by using your breasts? What if mine aren't big enough?

I can always walk into a rest room intended for the opposite sex, I do not need anybody for that.

i really dont want to know what you meant by that

What about bungee? Put a locked cache up a tree tied to a STRONG bungee cord which reaches half way to the ground. Attach the matching key, also on a bungee cord, to just reach the cache. That would require some significant preparation and the right materials to do solo. It would be easier to simply go with a buddy.

We came across one that was a picnic table....the base of the table sat on a hollow pipe that was cemented into the ground. You had to lift the table off the pipe and the cache was stuck down into the pipe. Seriously required two people to pull this off. And mind you, it was on the intersection of two very busy streets! Won't tell you where, so I don't spoil it! We also have a rest stop cache in which you need to go into both restrooms to retrieve coords. However, the goal of this one is not to have two people, but to enlist a muggle for help!

My friend and fellow cacher TJ Lee did put up a 2 person night cache here in Garden City Kansas. We used move of a lazor pin light that has to be pushed while 1 person is knelling down, the other must find where the light is projecting and then go to that spot and shine a light to finally find the cache. I do not know if that helps or not.

Broncbuster

I knew of a few geocaches that required you to call a payphone in another state. One being a college campus (I believe). The object was to talk with a complete stranger, and work with them while they try to find the coordinates hidden in the phonebook, or booth. Due to popularity of cell phones, and the dissappearance of pay phones, this type of cache is practically obsolete today.

I have a solid idea for two person geocache, but I won't post it here in the forum. Feel free to contact me via my profile if interested.

LUMBERJACKS ONLY!

i haven't found it, nor will i unless i have help, but that takes two people to do. I'm not sure if there are any others in this area. Im sure other people will post others

I hadn't thought about placing it high up in a tree - although it still could be done with one person and the right equipment :)

After thinking about it a little more, two trees, about 100' length of parachute cord, two pulleys and a heavy weight may be just what the doctor ordered :)

There is one near me I had to dnf the first time out. I returned with a friend and found it. It was camo mayonaise jar 30 ft in a tree. To lower it down you had to go to the tree and about 6'up was a kite string type of device that holds string. The string was actually power pro green fishing line and you had to unwind the string to lower it. the string was ran through and around the branches. It worked great. I thought the string would frey after rubbing against the tree but surprisingly the stuff is strong. It is however expensive.

There is one near me I had to dnf the first time out. I returned with a friend and found it. It was camo mayonaise jar 30 ft in a tree. To lower it down you had to go to the tree and about 6'up was a kite string type of device that holds string. The string was actually power pro green fishing line and you had to unwind the string to lower it. the string was ran through and around the branches. It worked great. I thought the string would frey after rubbing against the tree but surprisingly the stuff is strong. It is however expensive.

How was the kite string type of device that holds the string attached to the tree? I like this idea, but I don't want to put screws into a live tree.

How was the kite string type of device that holds the string attached to the tree? I like this idea, but I don't want to put screws into a live tree.

It was just the same as one you would find in a kite. He had it held in place by screwing a boat cleat to the tree and hooking it to that to hold it. You could use a ratchet strap to a tree thats closeby also you just have to camo it well.

Edited by thinairmagic