BEES.......OH MY

craazy

So I know that the ebb and flow of the geocaching community is to preserve nature however I have decided to hide my first cache and I have been told that there are bee's nests (2 of them) just a few yards away from my cache. SO my question is do I kill them or hope no one gets stung?

What are the rules on this?

Why would you consider killing them? They were most likely there long before your cache.

This is exactly why I was asking......and the poster above mentioned that I should put in bold that there are bees I have just done that so we should be OK then?

You were ok if you did nothing. Bee's and wasps are one of natures natural hazards that would be there with or without the cache.

Giving folks a warning is an excellent courtesy.

I would not kill em, and this is coming from someone who's allergic to them. They are part of nature, and when we go outside, we take a chance that we may encounter them.

Not sure where your cache is hidden, but for urban lamp posts and guardrails, you're likely to encounter a wasps nest every third one, but you expect it in those areas and don't blindly stick your arm into one.

If the cache is somewhere where the bees might be unexpected, adding the warning is a nice courtesy.

You can't take em out. They were there before you and, they'll be back after you're gone. Do what you will, but do no harm. They didn't ask to have a cache planted in their home!

Mention the potential hazard in the description and if it's a cache you're hunting, definitely mention nests. There are caches I couldn't approach during early summer because of yellow jacket activity that died down after the brood departed. All part of the hunt. It's not a Clean Room out there! :anibad:

I went searching for a cache in a park where I was CERTAIN it was hidden in the hollow of a large tree...as I got closer, the swarms of bees coming out dissuaded me from searching further.

I emailed the owner of the cache after my DNF to let him know the situation...he ended up archiving the cache as bees around here can stick around for a good part of the year.

A bummer to lose that particular cache, but no reason to kill off part of the natural environment just to hide your cache. I'm also against hacking out all of the poison ivy along the trails near caches....even though I wouldn't miss it if it all disappeared. :anibad:

As previously stated, bees are a part of nature.

Which came first, the bees or the cache?

Here in AZ there is a HIGH possibility that a wild bee colony could be Africanized. Although I have noticed colonies near caches more than a few times, I have yet to receive even one sting as a result.

Perhaps I just stink due to my high garlic intake, and the bees are repelled! :anibad:

In any case, if there is a problem, the cache should bee moved, not the bees! :blink:

Don't kill 'em. The global population of bees-- bees, which are responsible for pollinating crops and are a fantastically important part of the cycle of plant growth-- is rapidly and mysteriously declining, according to what I've heard. Sure, killing a couple of nests is only a drop in a bucket, but there's really no reason to. Slap a warning up on the cache page, and leave it be (leave the bees). :unsure:

Also, "Minimize My and Others' Impact on the Environment" is a part of the Geocacher's Creed. Killin' some bees kinda goes perpendicular to that concept.

Edited by SpencerDub

No no no no no don't kill them!

Bees are essential to our well-being on the planet, and they're currently disappearing ... no one really knows why, but we cannot, we *must* not do anything to hasten their demise, the consequences of which are scary.

My take on this is that the bees need their space and you should place your cache somewhere else.

Jeannette (angevine)

I would NOT say anything about the bees! Things like bees can add greatly to found it logs and DNF logs!

Instead of ....TFTC! TNLN..SL!...........with BEES you might get.......

"WHAT an adventure! Vernell upset a bee hive right next to the cache! While she was swatting, I was caught upside the head 8 times, resulting in whelts the size of Bison tubes! Anyway, while trying to retrieve my gpsr I fell head-long down that deep gully on the South side...the one with all the stumps! If it had not been for a huge mass of colloidal mushroom fungus, I would have split my head WIDE OPEN! Thanks for a terrific, exciting cache! I didn't leave anything and I failed to sign the log very clearly because my eyes were beginning to swell shut! Again, thanks for the awesome experience!"

:D;):D

Edited by chuckwagon101

Why would you consider killing them? They were most likely there long before your cache.

I agree. Bees, and also spiders, snakes and ants, are simply part of nature. Not only would it be insanely arrogant and presumptuous, in my estimation, to take it upon yourself to kill the bees for the sake of a piece of tupperware that you chose to hide nearby, but, assuming that this cache is NOT located on property you own and rather, that it is located on public or private (including commercial) property, it would be, in many jurisdictions, blatantly illegal to apply or discharge any kind of insecticide for the purpose of killing insects; if it were private or commercial property, you could also end up being the target of a civil suit as well.

Bottom line: Gosh, craazy, I see now why you chose the geo-name "craazy"! In addition to the caveats which I have shared above, I guess I need to remind you that such arrogant actions as you have proposed could also go a long way toward REALLY trashing the reputation and image of geocaching in the public eye, particularly when it comes to maintaining a reputation as an environmentally-friendly sport.

Bah! I am so irritated by this proposal -- and it is yet only 7:40 in the morning -- that I must forthwith go to my laboratory and drink a large mug of radioactive water from my radium/uranium/thorium/radon water dispenser in order to soothe and calm my irritated nerves.

I found a website that listed the coords to a bunch of otherwise unknown natural springs here in Florida, and started hiding caches at them. One of these springs is located in the middle of a pristine river, just made for paddling, and I planned an underwater cache for that one. About 50 yards upstream, is a small island that I wanted to check out, and as I nosed my 'yak onto shore, I got pummeled by bunches of very angry hornets. I flipped my boat to get away from them, and lost the ability to use my right arm for about an hour. This made paddling upstream back to my truck an interesting trip to say the least.

When the swelling went down, my first inclination was to mount a full frontal assault to wipe them out. A bit of reflection made me realize that, in this case, I was the intruder, and the hornets were just doing their job, protecting their home.

Although the location is amazing, I opted not to put a cache there, 'cuz I didn't want anybody else to suffer the same experience.

(I did, however, make it a Waymark.) ;)

My vote? Leave the bees alone. If you're worried about folks getting stung, move the cache. :D

Bees are good, serve a very useful purpose and are rarely agressive unless you mess with them, except the Africanized ones. They should be protected.

This nature-hugger thing must suffer limits, everything in nature is not good and there is another reason the humans are a higher intelligence than just to protect dangerous bugs. We must have the sense to make decisions that demonstrate the wisdom of caring for ourselves and each other, first.

Wasps, Hornets and Yellow Jackets are not friendly, are agressive and you do not have to mess with them for them to attack. I have been attacked in mass by them on my bulldozer when I could not hear them coming or see them for the dust - it is not a good thing.

I would hate to see a child cacher become a target for these guys and will destroy any nest that I come across. I do not own the cache to move it but I can look out for cachers who follow me . . . the bugs can nest elsewhere, they are not dead just because the nest is destroyed . . . but the children are safe.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

Bees are good, serve a very useful purpose and are rarely agressive unless you mess with them, except the Africanized ones. They should be protected.

This nature-hugger thing must suffer limits, everything in nature is not good and there is another reason the humans are a higher intelligence than just to protect dangerous bugs. We must have the sense to make decisions that demonstrate the wisdom of caring for ourselves and each other, first.

Wasps, Hornets and Yellow Jackets are not friendly, are agressive and you do not have to mess with them for them to attack. I have been attacked in mass by them on my bulldozer when I could not hear them coming or see them for the dust - it is not a good thing.

I would hate to see a child cacher become a target for these guys and will destroy any nest that I come across. I do not own the cache to move it but I can look out for cachers who follow me . . . the bugs can nest elsewhere, they are not dead just because the nest is destroyed . . . but the children are safe.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Grandpa Alex for the most part. My wife and possibly my daughter (she hasn't been stung yet for us to know, so we're playing it safe) are highly allergic to bee and hornet stings. Sorry, but my family outweighs their right to live.

Let me caveat this comment though. If we're in the woods and there are bees/hornets around a cache, I'll go in for it while they stay a safe distance away. I will try not to disturb them and leave them as they were since they were their first. BUT if they're on my property or in a highly urban area around one of our caches, their dead. I understand the viewpoint of the group thus far and do agree with it for the most part but let me make a point. Our 1st cache was an LPC near a movie theater that our 9 yr old daughter placed (not too happy that our 1st cache was an LPC but that's a tangent story). A month ago it was reported that there were hornets there so we went out to investigate. Sure enough there were a ton of them and they were pretty aggressive about their spot. In this instance, "WE" were there first and they moved in. Also, if we didn't take care of them and a movie goer got stung, what do you think the movie maintenance staff would have done? There has to be limits as to when and where the bees and hornets are dealt with, they don't always have the right to survive regardless of whether this is or isn't a cache issue.

-galaP-

They are Yellow Jackets and believe me I have no issues with any other garden variety bees however yellow jackets are not something I tend to toil with.

And for the people telling me I am arrogantly suggesting horrible Earth shattering doom upon all of natures creatures........I was merely asking the question of how I should handle the situation as this is my first cache and I am fairly new at this. I have added a line to the notes on this cache informing others of the bees and that is where I shall leave it.

But you can be certain that when the little yellow demons (jackets) infest my house (which they have twice this year) they wont win that battle and my infant son can thank me for not being stung!

Now I am not bitter but please people if a forum is to ask questions then answers should be provided, not lifes belittling lessons on how you would NEVER harm anything ever......I am not a Tibetan Monk and when I have a spider crawling up my sleeve or a mosqito sucking my blood......I'ma kill em'

In hindsight I am glad I did not rush out and kill the bees because I felt that they were there first and I moved in on their turf, but I wanted to be sure that I was going to handle the cache appropriately. It sound like I made the right choice.

I am deathly allergic to bees but I give them their proper respect. It's to the point where I have to stop 50-100 feet from GZ to scope out the location. Here is the story of the first time I found out I was allergic: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...8f-86193c61cc71.

If there is a note that says there are active bees in the area, or if a previous finder puts a reference to them in their log, I simply stay away. That is simply a hazzard of caching that I must adapt to. I put those caches in a bookmark or make a mental note to do them in the winter months.

If you put a note on the cache letting others know, I think that would more than suffice (and be appreciated by other hymenoptera allergy sufferers). I don't think you should kill them...they were there first.

KILL THEM?! Did you not learn anything from The Bee Movie?! :laughing:

I suggest upping the difficulty a noch and then noting their presence in the description. Having to ward off bees sounds fun!! I love bees and would have fun looking for this cache. I've been stung before and had more trauma from the shock of being stung than from the sting itself. Let them live :laughing:

It appears you've done the right thing in addressing your concern. Kudos. :D

Edited by Smokey Bear Collector

They are Yellow Jackets and believe me I have no issues with any other garden variety bees however yellow jackets are not something I tend to toil with.

And for the people telling me I am arrogantly suggesting horrible Earth shattering doom upon all of natures creatures........I was merely asking the question of how I should handle the situation as this is my first cache and I am fairly new at this. I have added a line to the notes on this cache informing others of the bees and that is where I shall leave it.

But you can be certain that when the little yellow demons (jackets) infest my house (which they have twice this year) they wont win that battle and my infant son can thank me for not being stung!

Now I am not bitter but please people if a forum is to ask questions then answers should be provided, not lifes belittling lessons on how you would NEVER harm anything ever......I am not a Tibetan Monk and when I have a spider crawling up my sleeve or a mosqito sucking my blood......I'ma kill em'

In hindsight I am glad I did not rush out and kill the bees because I felt that they were there first and I moved in on their turf, but I wanted to be sure that I was going to handle the cache appropriately. It sound like I made the right choice.

Crazy, I have been stung multiple times by YELLOW JACKETS and to me it is the most EXCRUCIATING pain I have ever felt! They built a nest in the rotted timbers of a walkway near our house. Unlike honey bees, they can sting a person many times and keep on attacking.

I go beyond just disliking yellow jackets and carry it to the extreme.....a DEATH WISH if you will where they are concerned. With the particular nest that I mentioned, I used a gasoline flame thrower and incinerated each individual as they came out of their hole. I then dug out their nest, ripped it apart and roasted all their larvae, turning the egg-laden nest into a puff ball of wispy ashes. The pain of their stings was still in several parts of my body as I was doing this. I had no remorse then and have none now.

I sometimes wish that I could be like some of the more gentle "live and let live" posters concerning things that cause me harm...but I can't. I will always be a spider stomping, roach squashing, wasp smacking person, sending any and all creatures that would cause me harm to a better life somewhere else! :D

You did GOOD! Let those other folks poke a daisy in the lapels of the yellow jackets! :laughing::(:)

So I know that the ebb and flow of the geocaching community is to preserve nature however I have decided to hide my first cache and I have been told that there are bee's nests (2 of them) just a few yards away from my cache. SO my question is do I kill them or hope no one gets stung?

Why would you want to place another cacher in danger?

My son and I were attacked by an angry swarm of bees while hunting for a geocache a couple of years ago. I got 67 stings. That was not a pleasant day.

Archive your cache!

Tap the terrain rating up & let 'er go! :(

:laughing: Yep, that's my thought, too. There are few things in nature I'm not a big fan of and yellow jackets are one of them. Fell into a ground nest as a kid and just about took the dirt nap from the experience :) That being said, if you're really worried you could just move the cache a short distance. I'd leave it where it is and encourage the timid to come in the early morning before the hornets are active. :D

In the US pest control and extermination is a 7 Billion dollar industry. Obviously a lot of us don't believe in right-to-life for ants and bees!

Yes, I see no problem with paying people to <Dalek>ex-term-in-ate</Dalek> pests in my own home. But to suggest that it's OK to kill off wildlife in their home, that's just too much.

Didn't anyone ever watch Soylent Green?

Yes, I see no problem with paying people to <Dalek>ex-term-in-ate</Dalek> pests in my own home. But to suggest that it's OK to kill off wildlife in their home, that's just too much.

I did. As a matter of fact I just spent last week as a volunteer shelter manager for 1468 New Orleans evacuees bussed to our Civic Center to flee Gustav. There were times when I thought Soylent Green is a great idea! :(

Yes, and I've drank some of Snoogan's concoction too. (inside joke)

Yes, and I've drank some of Snoogan's concoction too. (inside joke)

Would that be Garlic soda? Someone in Massachusetts makes that and I once sat next to an unfortunate Capy Baron who had to drink that.

Oh, and my Soylent Green reference was to humankinds destruction of plankton (a slight mention in the movie but integral to the book 'Make Room, Make Room' as I remember it) that therefore killed off all other life on Earth except for Humans.

Edited by trainlove

I am not a Tibetan Monk and when I have a spider crawling up my sleeve or a mosqito sucking my blood......I'ma kill em'

You...you'd kill a spider? :blink::ph34r:

Monster!

I love spiders to death.

Spiders are our friends!

Charlotte!!!

Stop being such a sissy and put them outside!

Okay, I'm kidding. But really - *sniffle* I adore spiders.

As quoted from above

"Now I am not bitter but please people if a forum is to ask questions then answers should be provided, not lifes belittling lessons on how you would NEVER harm anything ever."

this is why i quit asking questions. instead i just make statements.every time i've asked a question i get some condecending malcontent answering my question to push their own agendas. i ask for help, not for a belittling lecture from them. geocaching should be a fun for all activity with at least some friendly people. not all this negativity as spouted in these forums :blink::ph34r:

Edited by realisticdreamer66

Crazy, I have been stung multiple times by YELLOW JACKETS and to me it is the most EXCRUCIATING pain I have ever felt! They built a nest in the rotted timbers of a walkway near our house. Unlike honey bees, they can sting a person many times and keep on attacking.

I go beyond just disliking yellow jackets and carry it to the extreme.....a DEATH WISH if you will where they are concerned. With the particular nest that I mentioned, I used a gasoline flame thrower and incinerated each individual as they came out of their hole. I then dug out their nest, ripped it apart and roasted all their larvae, turning the egg-laden nest into a puff ball of wispy ashes. The pain of their stings was still in several parts of my body as I was doing this. I had no remorse then and have none now.

I sometimes wish that I could be like some of the more gentle "live and let live" posters concerning things that cause me harm...but I can't. I will always be a spider stomping, roach squashing, wasp smacking person, sending any and all creatures that would cause me harm to a better life somewhere else! ;)

You did GOOD! Let those other folks poke a daisy in the lapels of the yellow jackets! :):D:o

thank god someone has the nerve not to be politicly correct. even the bee hugers would swat them upon their attack, but they will never admit that :(:blink::ph34r:

I sometimes wish that I could be like some of the more gentle "live and let live" posters concerning things that cause me harm...but I can't. I will always be a spider stomping, roach squashing, wasp smacking person, sending any and all creatures that would cause me harm to a better life somewhere else! ;)

You did GOOD! Let those other folks poke a daisy in the lapels of the yellow jackets! :):D:o

thank god someone has the nerve not to be politicly correct. even the bee hugers would swat them upon their attack, but they will never admit that :(:blink::ph34r:

I had placed a new cache about 3 weeks ago. A week later I was informed of a group of cachers who moved a log near ground zero (actually behind the tree the cache was hidden up in) and found a hive near the log. The group was stung 26 times in total. I felt terrible and disabled the cache. I sought advice from our local Geocaching guru as to what I should do. He said reactivate the cache with a warning in the listing just in case of cachers with bee allergies. I also told people that the log and that side of the tree was not the spot for the cache. And not to disturb the log. I walked around the area kicking a few other trees and ground cover to see if it upset the hive. After I determined it to be good I reactivated the cache. I would say that if you can warn cachers of the bees and where they are than you should keep it listed. I did not want to move mine because it was a really interesting and challenging spot in the tree to find. Poisonous plants and encounters with wild life are going to happen when we Geocache. If we never placed caches in the area like this, we would not be able to enjoy this hobby.

I'm certainly no politically correct tree hugger by any stretch....

But I can remember growing up in Western OK and there were Horny Toads everywhere! Now there aren't any. Know why? People worked so hard killing off red ant beds that the Horny Toads had no food. That's what they eat. Now the Horny Toads are gone in this area. It took less than 30 years.

I remember seeing bees, now I never see them... We need them to pollinate certain food crops. Wait and see, you'll someday remember killing off some bees over a stupid cache and feel like a donkey.

This is serious stuff. Please read this article about Colony Collapse Disorder. And stop killing bees!

I took a look, and none of the possible causes listed had anything to do with people killing bees because they didn't like them. It sounds like this problem will exist even if we all decide to leave bees alone.

Personally, if I find bees in my yard, they're getting sprayed with something before my 3 year old gets stung. There's other places for them to colonize.

This is serious stuff. Please read this article about Colony Collapse Disorder. And stop killing bees!

This is a situation involving honey bees.

Honey bees which have not been Africanized are very docile. I recently took a part time job which entailed handling honey bees with my bare hands and arms, wearing only a head net for protection. I was stung only a few times, while handling tens of thousands of insects. Wasps (which include all the other insects mentioned in this thread) are a different creature in terms of temperment and I am much less tolerant of their presence.

Edited by Klatch

Thousands of bees came in a couple years after my cache had been hidden. Inconsiderate beasts! Luckily when I went there, they were swarming so they couldn't have cared less about me. I got my photographs and left.

But, unlike them, I had permission to be there. So I notified the property managers and they got rid of the hive immediately. I don't know if they exterminated or relocated the bees. I know they had to get rid of the whole branch. :rolleyes:

I archived the cache, though.

- Elle

**EDIT TO ADD: I missed where the OP is actually talking about WASPS, not BEES. Wasps, the insects or the upper class white people, need to be exterminated from urban areas where they are likely to feel threatened by the presence of people and animals and attack. We have a few mud wasps who have taken up home up the nether-regions of the entrance shelter of our home (20+ft up there). They bother no one so who cares. In my experience, hornets are the most aggressive. However, if I see Ted & Muffy in their over-the-shoulder sweaters, I'm grabbing the spray!

Edited by HauntHunters

Thousands of bees came in a couple years after my cache had been hidden. Inconsiderate beasts! Luckily when I went there, they were swarming so they couldn't have cared less about me. I got my photographs and left.

But, unlike them, I had permission to be there. So I notified the property managers and they got rid of the hive immediately. I don't know if they exterminated or relocated the bees. I know they had to get rid of the whole branch. :rolleyes:

- Elle

Yep, swarming honey bees are totally oblivious to humans, although I have no experience with Africanized bees.

- Elle

Yep, swarming honey bees are totally oblivious to humans, although I have no experience with Africanized bees.

I have no personal experience with Africanised bees but I've seen specials on TV (therefore I'm an expert). According to my cable learnings, they won't attack while swarming, either. However, otherwise they are easily provolked and the slightest noise that's natural to us (eg. slamming screen door, motorcycle rolling down the street, etc) will threatened them into attacking.

- Elle

I found a website that listed the coords to a bunch of otherwise unknown natural springs here in Florida, and started hiding caches at them. One of these springs is located in the middle of a pristine river, just made for paddling, and I planned an underwater cache for that one. About 50 yards upstream, is a small island that I wanted to check out, and as I nosed my 'yak onto shore, I got pummeled by bunches of very angry hornets. I flipped my boat to get away from them, and lost the ability to use my right arm for about an hour. This made paddling upstream back to my truck an interesting trip to say the least.

When the swelling went down, my first inclination was to mount a full frontal assault to wipe them out. A bit of reflection made me realize that, in this case, I was the intruder, and the hornets were just doing their job, protecting their home.

Although the location is amazing, I opted not to put a cache there, 'cuz I didn't want anybody else to suffer the same experience.

(I did, however, make it a Waymark.) :rolleyes:

My vote? Leave the bees alone. If you're worried about folks getting stung, move the cache. :)

Lol... this is awesome. I would SO place a cache there. Crank up the D/T and check the "Dangerous Area" attribute. I laughed at a post above about not mentioning the bees, but I think you should be fair and list it if you really need to disturb them to get the cache.

Special equipment required, including a bee suit. Leave a warning for anyone that is allergic. This could be a lot of fun!

There is an attribute for snakes and ticks... I think there should be one for bees too. Maybe put a cache at a bee farm, and you have to open one of the hives to get the cache. Sweet honey cache!

Edited by Uncopyrighted

I think killing the people who told you about the bees is a little extreme. Just threaten them first.