Oregon 2.4 available

g-o-cashers

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/space/s...pdater__240.gcd

Improved accuracy of altimeter for large altitude changes.

Improved importing geocaches. When the same geocaches is in multiple files, the geocaches from the newer file (file modified time) will be imported.

Fixed text writing on top of itself in some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed freeze when loading some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed issues causing a ?Memory Full? warning message.

Fixed issues with power off pressure trending.

Fixed issue with duplicate waypoint names.

GO$Rs

Congratulations Oregon Owners, these two issues have been with the Colorado for 9 months and we still don't have them fixed. Looks like the Oregon is getting most of Garmins attention. To heck with the Colorado's. I'm just jealous. :anibad:

If you currently have an Oregon with a permanent memory full error and can't upgrade to 2.4 there is a user on the wiki who received a 2.4 rgn file and an update procedure to get the Oregon out of this mode without having to RMA the unit. As soon as I have the rgn file I'll put it up on the wiki with instructions on how do to it, but Garmin tech support should have this if you call today as well.

GO$Rs

If you currently have an Oregon with a permanent memory full error and can't upgrade to 2.4 there is a user on the wiki who received a 2.4 rgn file and an update procedure to get the Oregon out of this mode without having to RMA the unit. As soon as I have the rgn file I'll put it up on the wiki with instructions on how do to it, but Garmin tech support should have this if you call today as well.

Thanks for all the Info.

I inss

talled 2.4, rebootet the device --> ok

Then I loaded 4 GPX-files with (about 1550 caches) on the oregon, as I do every week (no waipoint-files). After that, the Oregon did not boot (Garmin logo appears, but then the display faded out).

I tried to restore the firmware as you decribed, but that did not work. I get an error Message from the updater, after the oregon reboos (displaying "Loading waypoints,....") with the same problem: display fades out....

Error From Updater.exe:

"App: Updater

At: 9/6/2008 11:50:50 AM (UTC)

Processor: Pentium Pro or Pentium II, RAM: 1047784 KB

IOU_UTILITIES.CPP-203-2.8"

Edited by bonstetten

It sounds like the problem is with 2.4. Loading 2.4 via the Updater is probably working but as soon as 2.4 loads it fails again. What we really need is a .rgn file that just puts the Oregon in mass storage mode so you could delete the gpx files (this is similar to the .rgn file that is on the Colorado wiki). You'll probably need to see if tech support can get you out of this one (ask for a rgn file that will put you in mass storage mode).

GO$Rs

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/space/s...pdater__240.gcd

Improved importing geocaches. When the same geocaches is in multiple files, the geocaches from the newer file (file modified time) will be imported.

Fixed text writing on top of itself in some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed freeze when loading some geocaches descriptions.

Fixed issues causing a ?Memory Full? warning message.

Fixed issue with duplicate waypoint names.

GO$Rs

"Fixed issues with power off pressure trending."

I wonder if this is another way of saying they fixed the clock?

It sounds like the problem is with 2.4. Loading 2.4 via the Updater is probably working but as soon as 2.4 loads it fails again. What we really need is a .rgn file that just puts the Oregon in mass storage mode so you could delete the gpx files (this is similar to the .rgn file that is on the Colorado wiki). You'll probably need to see if tech support can get you out of this one (ask for a rgn file that will put you in mass storage mode).

GO$Rs

I do not why, but I could get my Oregon "back to live":

After multiple tries do to a master reset and restoring the rgn file (whithout any success), I reconnected th OR to the PC. I've seen that it says "Saving ...." as it normaly does whe going into mass storeage mode.

But I've no seen the device appearing in the explorer.

I connetced the OR to the Mac, it did the same...

... and appeard as device!

I deleted the gpx file (think also the "invisible" files when deleting on the mac) and the OR is back :unsure:

Thanks for all the Info.

I inss

talled 2.4, rebootet the device --> ok

Then I loaded 4 GPX-files with (about 1550 caches) on the oregon, as I do every week (no waipoint-files). After that, the Oregon did not boot (Garmin logo appears, but then the display faded out).

I tried to restore the firmware as you decribed, but that did not work. I get an error Message from the updater, after the oregon reboos (displaying "Loading waypoints,....") with the same problem: display fades out....

gh my gps is dead unless i can get the master reset i guess my gps is dead cached today with the update updated my gpx files before comeing home was away to get a new cache on the list and the gps was dead after loading the new caches

i tryed the master reset as said its not leting me click the yes button any help ?? do i tap it hold the button maybe to work?

bad bad garmin i just got this oregon week ago exchanged it for a colorado that was like the 1st batch lucky i got it at rei easy exchange

maybe on the wiki put in big txt and stuff for ppl not to update or strong warning not to

Edited by the_alien_spy

does onyone have a dead oregon since FW 2.4 ?

i did

ok ty very much g-o cachers the reset worked finnly

ok how to get it to work after you keep taping yes and the screen fades away wait wait wait dont know for how long maybe 30secs to 1 min and then try to turn the gps on and see if it worked

the wait time is needed the gps screen only fades off not relly turning off so its still trying to reset and if ya just click the power again it stops the reset

ok g-o cashers since after the reset its still 2.40 should i go back to version before untill they fix it and how can i do this

Here's an obscure one for the "broke it at 2.40" file.

When simulating your location by setting the 400t in Demo Mode, and then relocating yourself to a coastal ocean area (via the lower-right-corner tap from the satellite page), try executing a "Where To" -> Tides, select a tide-zone, and then tap the name (top bar) of the zone.

On two 400t that I have, they will both display the "High/Low", date/time, and tide height -- when running v2.30. Under v2.40, all I see is the column of "High" and "Low" text with no accompanying data.

Don't know what happens when you are actually AT the ocean, as opposed to simulating it, because, well, I'm pretty far away. But, this behavior is 100% repeatable on two 400t units when switching from 2.3 to 2.4.

Just sayin'

-Art

Edited by afh3

It works the same when you are sitting right at the ocean. I know this worked with 2.3 as well because I used it last week up in Maine and didn't have any problems.

I'll add it to the issues list but its worth a call to Garmin.

GO$Rs

Yup mine does it to...I need this fixed more than the barometer....

Tired of hearing about the Oregon feature failures after applying the 2.4 software update, I called Garmin Technical Support in the hopes I could learn something of these issues and might measure some improvement in Garmin's technical support services. I'm sorry to report there are no improvements:

The person I talked to was not aware of any 2.4 update problems for the Oregon and specifically the barometer and tide tables. He could not reach any software engineering to see if they could confirm these two problems with the 2.4 update. He found one person I believe who had heard of the barometer problem. He suspects that someone is working on a solution but clearly the right hand still does not know what the left hand is doing at Garmin. He is elevating the problem to his supervisor. He agreed and is looking into how one might downgrade the firware back to 2.3 until 2.4 is fixed by "2.5?". :) He indicated that he "thought" that 2.4 was not causing these problems in house. He might as well have said this because otherwise I was going to question whether Garmin really does any good beta testing of firware updates.

Instead of using the WebUpdater I believe one can download the update to their PC/Mac. If that is true and if one had a copy of the 2.3 update can one revert back their Oregon to 2.3? Is it that simple to do?

I should be getting my Oregon any time now. I'm so excited--not! :) Oh, and so far they have charged my card full list price for the Oregon--not exactly the $40 I had expected. Fortunately (pun intended) they do acknowledge this little bit of trouble so my credit card will be fixed before the 2.4 update is fixed.

Edited by Ratsneve

What is recommended? Staying at 2.3 and suffering the original problems 2.4 fixes OR updating to 2.4 and suffering no barometer or tide tables?

I would guess that if the pre 2.4 updated Oregon has to be returned to Garmin for repair that the loss of barometer and tide tables is a better deal?

Does the 2.4 update actually fix and do everything it says it does (minus the new things it breaks but makes no mention of)?

Edited by Ratsneve

What is recommended? Staying at 2.3 and suffering the original problems 2.4 fixes OR updating to 2.4 and suffering no barometer or tide tables?

I would guess that if the pre 2.4 updated Oregon has to be returned to Garmin for repair that the loss of barometer and tide tables is a better deal?

Does the 2.4 update actually fix and do everything it says it does (minus the new things it breaks but makes no mention of)?

If you have the memory full issue 2.4 is about the only game in town unless you want to send the unit back.

2.4 does fix several other minor issues, I've collected these in the Issues List if you really want all the details.

Even assuming that you can live with out the barometer (or deal with the work-arounds) and with the tide data I still have two other concerns about 2.4:

1) After upgrading some people have seen a freeze at Loading Maps... It isn't clear if this is really caused by 2.4 or not.

2) In 2.2 I saw a number of USB connection freezes, with 2.3 they seemed to go away now with 2.4 I'm seeing them again. I haven't heard of other complaints.

Summary: if you don't have the memory full issue to deal with stick with 2.3

GO$Rs

did already anyone inform garmin about the barometer and tide tables bug?

No. Until Garmin gets their act together _everyone_ experiencing these problems or trusting those who have acknowledged these problems needs to phone or email (or both) Garmin tech support. I know it sounds stupid but just one person mentioning a problem isn't going to do anything. Garmin simply does not trust anything said by anyone in these forums. If someone in software is actually fixing these problems right now their is zero communication between them and technical support. As far as I'm concerned so far between Garmin engineering and technical support it is the blind leading the blind. We've got to find someone somewhere in Garmin willing to open their eyes and start communcating with us wtf is goiing on before the powers to be at geocaching.com (all of us) can let our guard down and hope somthing is automatically being taken care of.

No. Until Garmin gets their act together _everyone_ experiencing these problems or trusting those who have acknowledged these problems needs to phone or email (or both) Garmin tech support. I know it sounds stupid but just one person mentioning a problem isn't going to do anything. Garmin simply does not trust anything said by anyone in these forums. If someone in software is actually fixing these problems right now their is zero communication between them and technical support. As far as I'm concerned so far between Garmin engineering and technical support it is the blind leading the blind. We've got to find someone somewhere in Garmin willing to open their eyes and start communcating with us wtf is goiing on before the powers to be at geocaching.com (all of us) can let our guard down and hope somthing is automatically being taken care of.

>>but just one person mentioning a problem

There are more guys having the barometer bug and the tide table bug

>>but just one person mentioning a problem

There are more guys having the barometer bug and the tide table bug

I don't know freeday. I think everyone posting a Garmin problem they are having should post a one liner that they have emailed and/or phoned Garmin.

It would be very interesting to learn how many Oregons are out in the field; and of those how many even have the 2.3 update installed; and of those even how many are tracking any problems at all?

I had a conversation with tech support today, they were able to reproduce both issues on a 400i and claimed that they would be submitting the issues to development.

GO$Rs

GO$Rs, if calibrating the barometer fixes it until cycling the power, might this have the same temporary effect on the tide tables?

It seems to me that no barometer and tide tables might be better then a permanent memory full and not being able to install the 2.4 update? Do you agree or what might be your advice on this? Thanks

I emailed the tech I was working with when my Oregon died (got it replaced/exchanged where I bought it, rather than spend their "7-10 business days" without it) and let him know how to reproduce my findings.

Now, whether or not that means that message will get any farther...

-Art

Definitely upgrade to 2.3 -- there really isn't any reason not to other than a very minor issue with viewing elevation profiles of routes.

GO$Rs

Done. Of minor note...I had to rename the file downloaded. Once this was done restarting the OR updated the software/firmware successfully. Of second note...This update file disappears entirely.

Yesterday late I finished a total backup of the GPS directory. Reading its properties on the GPS I got 2,839,461,888 bytes with ~1.160 GB remaining free. When finished the backup directory properties read 2,839,318,283 bytes... I was expecting these values to be identical but there appears to be more on the GPS that was not copied? Are there hidden files that won't copy? Could they be made visible to copy or would this be a dangerous undertaking? Have you accounted for these different values?

Done. Of minor note...I had to rename the file downloaded. Once this was done restarting the OR updated the software/firmware successfully. Of second note...This update file disappears entirely.

Right, that's in the instructions, you need to change the name to gupdate.gcd, the file does disappear after you upgrade, that's normal.

Yesterday late I finished a total backup of the GPS directory. Reading its properties on the GPS I got 2,839,461,888 bytes with ~1.160 GB remaining free. When finished the backup directory properties read 2,839,318,283 bytes... I was expecting these values to be identical but there appears to be more on the GPS that was not copied? Are there hidden files that won't copy? Could they be made visible to copy or would this be a dangerous undertaking? Have you accounted for these different values?

There is a hidden file in the Garmin directory called fs_image.ver which is about 1kb but nothing that I can think of that would explain the 150kb difference you are seeing. I'm not sure I ever checked to honest.

GO$Rs

Got this from Garmin this morning....maybe its BS lets hope not

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I will be happy to assist you. This is a known problem with the 2.4

update. Our engineers are currently in the process of releasing another

update to correct this issue with the new 2.4 update. I appologize for

the inconvenience this may cause. If you have any other questions please

contact Garmin.