Log Content Requirement

SG One

With about 6 months in, ~130 finds and 6 hides.....

I started out writing longish logs for everything. Even the blinkey on the signpost in a parking lot got a couple of paragraphs about my search and what a cool little container it was.

Then I kept reading and reading stuff here and in the logs of the caches I was finding. I guess I became a little jaded and on ones like the blinkey that I started seeing repeatedly I began leaving, "TNLNSL TFTC"

Then after my first hide a local cacher decided I'm a problem, although he wrote a long log on that one, he's acronymed his FTF on most of the rest of mine. I got to the point with his where I followed the lead of some other locals and began leaving "." as my log entry. Have to admit though, after a few weeks I started feeling bad about that regardless of his opinions and how he was logging my caches...so I even went back and changed all the old ones to much longer and more thoughtful logs and haven't written a short one in a while no matter the cache. I do write A LOT more for inspired caches, creative containers or devious hides, but everything gets a little story now.

Fortunately, other than that first cache where it went 5 days after him before it was found again, most of his acronym logs have been quickly followed by longer and MUCH more complimentary ones. I don't know if I'd be up to 6 hides (and ~2 dozen 'caches' created and waiting to be hidden) if I was getting all TNLNSL logs, they might be discouraging whereas the great compliments I've gotten on the containers and hides have totally inspired me to keep working on more and more devious hides.

(That brings up a whole nother topic, I'm pretty sure there has to have been more than one cacher that has DNFed one of my caches (they aren't that easy!) but so far there's only been one DNF logged and that person emailed me a correct guess so I dunno why they didn't make the grab. So what's the deal? I log all of my DNFs. And to be honest, I'm trying to get more and more devilish with each subsequent hide (Check the cache containers thread) hoping to read some interesting DNF logs but they're just not happening. Are they really that easy? (I think not based on some of the 'find' logs)).

Now that I have a few hides out there...I'm beginning to think I enjoy the creating and hiding aspect even more than the finding...And a lot of that is based on reading the logs on my hides. The ones where people write that they had to look around a while before the AHA! moment put a huge smile on my face as I hope it did theirs when they found it. As an example, here's a log from one of mine from yesterday, it's a micro in a parking lot.

Sometimes I amaze myself!! I was about to give up and then I decided to check something out and .....there it was! Excellent container and nice hide! TFT$

Stuff like that sends me back to the basement to work on more. If I was getting a lot of "TFTC" logs, I don't think I'd be into it anywhere near as much as I seem to have gotten.

So anyway, no, I don't think there can be logging requirements. As with all other aspects of this game, people are who they are. Some people write acronyms, some write novels. All we can do is be who we are. Part of the deal for caching with me is that it makes me feel like a little kid with eyes full of wonder...So when I write my logs I write from that perspective. For me, that's what I need to do to have the most fun playing, so that's how I play.

I just skimmed this bumped thread - this post by TheTexasGringo created a Eureka! moment for me:

I'm into geocaching...not writing short stories.

Like the OP, I've been annoyed by alphabet soup logs in the past - but, perhaps because now I am ready to hear it, that simple statement is wonderfully clarifying for me. Thank you.

I've allowed myself to be annoyed by curt logs, even while believing that the log belongs to the person logging. Short, long, incoherent, it's theirs. I've known that, but not *quite* been able to rid myself of certain expectations, or a sense that they're obligated to counter my cache offering with their log offering. Nice to be free of one more minor annoyance. Again, my thanks.

The reason I am posting this is because I am tired of logs that consist of nothing more than six letters. I.E. “TNLN SL”. Since I began caching this type of log has become more common and I think they are rude. The reason I go to the trouble of hiding caches is because I want to hear the experiences of the finders. I understand that often times cachers have many caches to log and very little time to do so, but would a sentence or two be that much to ask? I would even be happier reading negative comments over abbreviations.

Because of this frustration I have been thinking about making a SHORT comment a requirement for logging a cache. I would accept just one sentence. Including logs like "#14 on our trip thought the Orlando area". I wouldn't delete the logs of cachers who didn't read, but I think a requirement would at least cut back on short logs. My thinking is that if enough cachers did this it would curb this trend.

My question to all of you is weather I should do this or just let it go. Am I asking too much? The last thing I want to do is become the cache Gestapo. I guess if anything it was a chance to vent.

Yes and add to the list any log that contains a misused homonym. The point is we can't control how people express themselves. We can only hope that they improve during their lifetime.

Edited by edscott

OMG! (can I use that acronym here?) - I'm in trouble because I'm a big time cut-n-paster. In my defense (which is what I like to say when I justify things to myself) I do try to add a short sentence or two, depending on what I remember about the cache when I found it. The C&P description is usually brief, as in "Found with ?? out on holiday" or something like that. Then if the cache was memorable I'll write a little something extra. If I can't remember which one it was, I won't. That doesn't mean the cache was bad, just that it was so similar to other finds I have had nothing stands out. No insult intended, just memory failure on my part. And although I have been guilty of the acronym-only logs, it because of my upbringing i.e." if you can't say something nice, then mumble so they can't understand you!"

When I see short logs on my caches, I usually use it as an indicator that maybe, just maybe, my cache sucks.

As if any Chilehead cache sucks. :) Not really though, I've been seeing a much greater frequency of 5 word or less lame logs overall on the website, even for like 2002 placements next to a waterfall. That was just a hypothetical example. :unsure: Refer that to the lost art of logging thread, I guess.

But yeah, if your cache has like 50 or more 5 word or less cache logs, and two of those words are usually "quick grab", it might just suck. :)

Last week someone found one of my caches, and the logs simply said, "NONE".

And this wasn't even one of my "lame" caches. It's in a beautiful area with a boardwalk overlooking a lake with lots of birds and lilly pads and frogs along the shoreline and maybe a lone canoe paddling out in the middle, and all it got was "NONE". Grrrrr.

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :unsure:

- Elle

I would delete an email like that without responding.
Talk about rude.

- Elle

I am under no moral imperative to respond to every email that I receive.

It wasn't an email. It was an email notification of a found log. The found log simply said "NONE." I never received an email from anyone. Well, other than GC notifying me of the find.

That sounds like a fake find log to me. Might be worth confirming whether they did indeed sign the log book.

You have to set guidelines for yourself, I tell ya! Think.....CRITERIA!

What is ONE THING that makes that cache worth a thousand words.....or a ..........picture for Heaven's sake?

HOLD ON! Here it comes.........

A BIG PILE OF STICKS!

If the cacher had the courtesy to stack that BIG PILE OF STICKS.....you OWE him/her/it!

I have never met a cacher that can lay out a big pile of sticks ...that I didn't like.

Will Chuckwagon Rogers

:):unsure::)

Your treasure is another person's trash. Oops, guess it's supposed to be the other way around. But really, your super duper cache that you've hidden and think is the bomb may not be someone else's idea of fun. If someone doesn't like your cache, so be it. To each their own. Everyone does GCing for different reasons. If the finder doesn't leave a glowing log full of praise and accolades, move on and forget about it. There's not a rule that says that everyone must like every cache that's out there.

Edited by vwaldoguy

The argument for abbreviated logs has been made. My question is, why give someone so much power over you?? It's very hard to invoke emotions from me, mainly because I don't want an individual to have control of my feelings/emotions. It sometimes drives people nuts (the "kill them with silence" scenario, I like the power and play with people sometimes), but I choose not to afford other individuals the power to control me. Decide what you enjoy about geocaching and if that thing(s) is based on other's actions, I would suggest changing your reasons for geocaching to things not based on what other people do/say. It doesn't mean you can't have opinions or ask questions, but it does mean you shouldn't become upset because of what others do, say or think.

Also, you should give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it is a computer illerate person and to them "TNLNSL" is a "good" log. People have their reasons, and despite if you agree them or not, you shouldn't become upset and you should try to find the good in their actions and not the negative.

TFTT (thanks for the thread)

... I didn't put it out for me, but for others to find. I haven't had any TNLNSL only responses but wouldn't care if it did say that.

But don't you at least hope they'll give a few words of appreciation for your putting it out there to find? For after all, what would The Game be if it weren't for the hiders? I think more players ought to keep that in mind when logging their finds.

But that's just me.

~*

One cache I know of has an ALR (additional logging requirement) of telling a story to claim the find. It can be fact or fiction, but to claim the find a story (of minimum length) MUST be told. I really like that idea! He then selects the best story each year, and sends that cacher a prize by post.

One way to get interesting logs!

And this wasn't even one of my "lame" caches. It's in a beautiful area with a boardwalk overlooking a lake with lots of birds and lilly pads and frogs along the shoreline and maybe a lone canoe paddling out in the middle, and all it got was "NONE". Grrrrr.

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :)

- Elle

Talk about rude.

- Elle

I'd delete it too. If someone wants to leave a 1 word answer, go ahead. If I want to do it, I will. How does emailing the person inspire them to go back and edit their log?

Did you message them to let them know that the system must have not properly processed their logs, and then asked a series of questions about how they enjoyed the area and the find? I'd be interested to see how they respond when put on the spot by the cache owner. :)

- Elle

Talk about rude.

- Elle

I'd delete it too. If someone wants to leave a 1 word answer, go ahead. If I want to do it, I will. How does emailing the person inspire them to go back and edit their log?

I am reminded of this thread...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...202023&st=0

This thread resurrection reminded me of a Found It log I got on one of my more challenging caches. It was from a local legend who is known for long logs, so when I got the E-mail titled "_____ found _____" I opened it in expectation. Those dreaded 6 letters stared me in the face. "TNLNSL"? What? I clicked the View Log link, and was greeted by a huge log. I learned later that they had typed their original log in Word, then submitted the "TNLNSL" log. This was the one E-mailed to me. They then edited their log with the lengthy one. I almost wet myself laughing about how they jerked my chain. :D:):D:(:P:)

It is nice when people appreciate your caches.

Not everyone will.

Some caches are VERY DIFFICULT to appreciate.

If ONE cacher writes an appreciative log, then your cache is justified.

If you can not wait so long to get the appreciative log, then you have still learned something.

wow, you learn something new every day. i'm pretty new to geocaching, and have been leaving short logs with acronyms because that seemed to be the thing to do judging by the logs i'd looked at. personally i've considered it part of the game to figure out what the acronyms stand for! had no idea this was such a burning issue; seems to me there should be room for different kinds of logs and it should be ok for people to write what they want, other than spoilers. i don't remember seeing suggestions for logging anywhere when i signed up, which i suppose might be helpful for newbies...

I've never seen the "." posts before. When a cache is a quality cache, I will always write a bit about how much I enjoyed it, or how wonderful the scenery was at the site. Then I'll add the acronyms just to let them know if I traded swag or not. I haven't been caching very long and thought that was how it was supposed to be done.

For lame caches, such as a nano on a light pole, or the ever-popular useless film can tossed in a corner with wet pulp for a log, I say very little. I'm disgusted with the lack of creativity or caring, but I don't want to start a word war, so I'll just say 'found it'. I did comment on one that was hidden partly under a tombstone, just thought that was disrespectful.

I never have anything good to say when some lazy person sticks a nano or micro out where there was plenty of room and interesting locations for a good sized cache.

For me, its something like this:

(what I thought of the cache X what kind of a day I'm having) / (how many logs I need to write + how late in the day it is)

For example:

very dull cache, having a bad day with a lot of logs to write and its past midnight = "Quick & Easy, TFTH"

Very interesting and well done cache, Having a great day ( or this hide made my day that much better) and I have just a few logs to write and its only 7pm = A small story

My logs say something about me just as I'm say something about the cache.

I write longer stories on DNFs. But sometimes I just do TFTC because it may be a bad cache. My mother always told ,if you don't have something nice to say-don't say anything.Then sometimes I may go out a do 20 finds and I can't remember what I do on what cache,so I don't write a stroy. You need to read some logs by a cacher named Wee Willie. He is a dog and the stories are writen from his veiw.They are very funny.

I have two caches with 30 found it's between then and only 1 tftc.

I blame myself for that tftc, I had been ill for some time and the container was trashed so I deserved it. You could consider that one a park and grab and expect nothing more but sometimes a wonder of nature is a park and grab.

On the other one (Weir Dammed) I'll get pleasure out of acro posts just because I know #1 there are people that hate micros but go for them any way, #2. there are people that think things should be 100% safe 100% of the time but will try for the smilie anyway #3. there are people that think things should be easy to find but wont give up and will pop a vein till they do find it.

I think I should change the description from this...

I have already given you everything you need to know.

Happy hunting,

Vater Araignee

to this...

I have already given you everything you need to know.

Happy hunting,

Vater Araignee

P.S.

If this cache makes you mad then you had better cuss me out or get your find deleted.

I wish I could make a cache that would piss off 100% of its finders. It would be awesome to see thousands of people expressing their displeasure, with a few DNF's that say judging from the found its I almost hope I never do.

Talk about a novel cache.

Maby I'll just have to be satisfied with an ALR requiring a complaint :)