Muggles and cache locations

Kohavis

I've got a new cache I'm about to hide, but I'm debating about the location.

The location I found for it is a park a couple miles from home. Like most parks in New Mexico, it has only three trees and a park bench :lol: Maybe a little bit of an exaggeration, but not much. There aren't too many hiding places.

The park is rarely busy on weekdays, so muggles will be at a minimum.

But the problem is this: My first location choice is close to the edge of the park, and right across the residential street are houses. The nature of the hide is that it will take some time poking around to find it, and possibly the homeowners might spot the cacher. The name I've planned for the cache is a real groaner/play on words, and should be fun for whoever finds it.

My second choice is towards the front of the park, with very little likelihood that the cacher will be seen. But it's an easier find. Maybe too easy. Possible what many here would call a "lame" hide.

I don't want curious muggles watching a cacher poking around, then find the cache later and possibly disturb or take it. But on the other hand, a too-easy find isn't what I'm after either.

Should I just scrap the location and find another, go with the clever hide, or the lame one. I'm really on the fence on this one.

If you want your cache to last more than a few weeks, its probably best to hide it where searchers won't be seen from homes.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that an easy find is lame. Many geocachers believe that it's the location that makes a good cache, not necessarily how its hidden.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks briansnat :blink:

I'm still trying to get a feel for what is the proper level of difficulty. I've seen posts here about "lame hides", and I want my hides to be fun to find, but not overly easy.

I guess what you're saying then is that any hide is a "good hide", and that I shouldn't try to be overly clever in placing it. Is this correct?

Based on that, it seems that I should go with the safer spot.

Since I'll follow your advice, I'll go ahead and post pics of the original spot that had possible muggle issues, and see if you agree.

Here's the location. Out of the pic to the left are the houses I'm concerned about:

elranchoatriscopk_3.jpg

And here's the cache and the lava rock that was to hide it:

elranchoatriscopk_cache.jpg

My plan was to place the lava rock among the other rocks with the cache underneath it, and name the cache "ROCK OLDIES - K-LAVA" :anibad:

Oh well, I guess I'll go with the safer one :P

Edited by Kohavis

Lame does not necesarily mean easy to find.

To me - lame is a location that is unappealing to be at. Lame is copying any micro hide style that is overly common. Lame is a cache that is going to attract muggles by its very placement. Lame is a cache that will obviously not last long due to weather, poor container or natural setting swallowing it up.

I am one that enjoys an easy find at any location that is unique, out-of-the way, scenic, historic, little known or just plain special to you as long as you can explain why.

I have this problem with a few of my caches. I place caches to bring people someplace, to me the container and hide is secondary. But sometimes I have to make it so non-cachers won't find it, and it makes the hide harder than I had intended. I don't like seeing DNF's on a cache that should be easy. I want people to have a good time exploring a new area that caching has brought them to. But that's just what happens sometimes. The best scenario to me is easy and safe, good location. That's a great experience, and not lame at all.

What wigglesworth said is true. It can be difficult, but sometimes the best thing to do is to talk to the neighbours. I've done this a couple times. I'm shy and have a hard time just going up and talking to people like that, but it can be a big stress relief to know you don't have to worry about the neighbours anymore. One hide I have is an ammo can overlooked by a house. It was so close, and if anyone is sitting on the deck, the cacher would be completely exposed. It turned out great, the neighbour knew about caching and is the editor of a regional outdoor website and came down to look at the cache site and talk to us about caching. They were happy to know that a cache was next to their house, and to have the explanation of a potential mysterious and disconcerting activity nearby. Most neighbours get tickled when they know what all the secretiveness is. They can join in it, giggle at people, and help out with hints sometimes.

just plain special to you as long as you can explain why.

:blink: How often is one asked to explain their cache location? What if it's just a pleasant location under a tree in a shady spot, or particularly peaceful, but not necessarily "special"? Is that OK?

I found a nice cache last week under the loose metal base of a store's parking lot light pole. A clever hide, to be sure. I doubt the place was "special" to the hider, however. Unless maybe he was parked there with his girlfriend and they shared their first kiss or something :anibad:

I don't think knocking on fifteen or twenty doors there would be a good idea. It would draw unnecessary attention to something they might otherwise not even notice.

The best scenario to me is easy and safe, good location. That's a great experience, and not lame at all.
Thanks. I feel the same way about it.

Your case with the door knocking involved few people. I wouldn't have a problem with that, as I'm hardly shy. But 20 people - that's just asking for trouble, in my opinion. One of them might just take the cache just to be nasty. Call me a cynic :P

I hope this isn't frowned upon - posting pics of my cache and the location, but I figured unless someone reading this is planning on visiting the cache out of thousands here in town, it probably won't give anything away.

I decided to split the difference. I added a disguise to the cache and plan to place it behind some foliage at the base of a tree. In the winter, the bark will help hide it.

Cache viewed from above:

bark_top.jpg

Underside:

bark_bot.jpg

tree.jpg

Does this look OK?

Edited by Kohavis

Looks to me like you've put a lot of thought into creating a very clever camo job and scouting out a good location. Either spot looks like it would be a fun challenge but I really like the lava rock camo. OTOH I've had a couple of my caches ripped off that were probably in areas that were a bit too public. Don't worry about your cache being "lame".... a few people will always look a gift horse in the mouth so just be like a duck and let such mindless criticisms roll off your back. Happy trails, Ed56

Looks to me like you've put a lot of thought into creating a very clever camo job and scouting out a good location. Either spot looks like it would be a fun challenge but I really like the lava rock camo. OTOH I've had a couple of my caches ripped off that were probably in areas that were a bit too public. Don't worry about your cache being "lame".... a few people will always look a gift horse in the mouth so just be like a duck and let such mindless criticisms roll off your back. Happy trails, Ed56

Thanks Ed :unsure: That's encouraging.