Cleaning Poison Ivy Off Gear

succotash

After a blissful decade or so without reacting to poison ivy/oak, I've got it again. :lol: Technu does a great job on me but I was wondering whether anyone has ever tried using Lysol or some other spray to break down the oils that might still be on our packs, hiking sticks, shoes, truck etc. Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Bean (the mrs.)

I'm not affect by the stuff myself, but I'm told it has an oil base. I have worked for years with oil paints and the two products which removed the oil paint (very, very difficult stuff) from my clothing when nothing else would were hand washing with hot water and Dawn dish detergent followed by hand scrubbing with a bar of ivory soap. Just take the bar and use it like a sanding block inside and out of your gear and rinse it all in boiling hot water (or near to it).

Whatever you do, if you wash your gear in your home washer, make sure to run a second wash with nothing inside the washer on the Hot setting to wash away any residual oils from the inside of your washer. You don't want your next load to be your undergarments! :lol:

Kelty has this for care and cleaning which is relevant for most backpacks:

Backpack Care & Cleaning

Brush off loose dirt with a dry brush.

As needed, wipe out the inside with a damp sponge and mild soap.

Rinse only, if possible. Use cold water and a sponge or rinse in a tub without soap.

Machine wash in front-loading unit (DO NOT use machine with agitator, as agitator could cause damage not covered under warranty) with cold water and mild soap (Ivory Flakes, Woolite, Sport Wash, etc.) DO NOT use detergents.

DO NOT soak in soapy water, as it may cause delamination.

Rinse thoroughly to eliminate soap residue.

Place pack on frame to air dry—air dry only.

Always store in a cool, dry area.

Zipper Care

Keep loose threads trimmed.

Keep free from dirt.

Spray periodically with a non-greasy, non-staining silicone spray designed for fabrics.

To prevent salt water corrosion on zipper pulls, make sure you rinse with clear water after exposure.

You can also consider Nikwax for your leathers as this will replenish the oils in the leather to keep it supple as well as clean it.

Edited by TotemLake

I live in Alabama where we have summer three out of the four seasons of the year:

Almost Summer

Summer

Still Summer

Winter

I have only used the Technu you use on your skin to keep from getting the oil to adhere. I don't like it. After about 5 minutes outside in June or July, I am extremely over-heated. It's as if the Technu does not allow the sweat to evaporate (evaporate is relative considering our high humidity).

I realize this is probably not the product you're using (I'm guessing you're using the wash). I only say this so anyone else looking at this thread will realize there are different versions of Technu.

If I get into poison ivy and get home within an hour or two, usually a good hot shower and soap will keep me from breaking out. Normal washing gets it out of the clothes, but...

I managed to get some on my cellphone case, which caused a recurring outbreak on my arm. When I finally figured it out, I washed the case in Woolite along with my other stuff that can't be washed with laundry soap, and no more problems.

Fels Naptha soap is the "tried and true" for fabrics contaminated with poison ivy and poison oak. Shave about 1/3 bar into a laundry load with a knife or old cheese grater.

Usually I hate to reply when someone else has my reply, but I've got to this time for emphasis. and some additional info.

Fels Naptha soap is the best, not only for gear, but for your body. You need to wash the oils off of you RIGHT AWAY when you come in contact with the poison oak or poison ivy so you won't get it.

I carry a small chunk of this soap in my first aid kit. I also, by the way, use it for nettles and anything else I get into. It is also SSSSOOOOOOO much CHEAPER than Technu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can be found in the laundry soap section of most good stores in a bar form. It only comes in bar form, so, as someone else suggested, to put it into your laundry just shave it. You can also wet the bar and rub it right onto clothes items.

this soap is the ultimate oil-cutter soap, so it also works on many stains (which is it's intended use)

The other thing about this soap vs. Technu for your body... read the ingredients and warnings on Technu. I bought a bottle when it first came out, then after reading the label would not use it. I've still got that full bottle floating around somewhere some ten years later or so. Fels Naptha soap is MUCH safer to use. It's ingredients will not build up in your liver and cause you long term damage when mixed with all those other great chemicals you are storing up in your liver. If you care about your health, use Fels Naptha. If you don't, then spend a lot more money and go out and buy Technu.

Hot water is the WORST thing to do after an exposure to poison oak or ivy.

This opens up your pores and let's it get in much better.

They talk a lot about this in advanced wilderness first aid class through the red cross.

Most people start out not reacting to poison oak/ ivy. The reaction is an allergic reaction to the oils, not the oils themselves (thus this is why deer can eat it, they are not allergic). This is an allergy that builds with time. In other words, the more you are exposed to it the worse your reaction.

I've heard my story a million times: I used to run through it with no reaction (or in the other person's case who posted on this thread: they used to be able to take hot showers after being exposed to it without catching it).

But the more you are exposed the worse it gets. Finally after not worrying about it for years, and never getting it, one exposure spread all over my entire body so badly I had to take steriods to recover.

So the moral: don't take it for granted when you cant' get it.

Don't take people's word for good remedies who never get it.

Carry a small piece of fels naptha soap with you (lighter, cheaper, safer and at least as effective as technu) and wash RIGHT after exposure to it. (I just use my water bottle and drop everything right there and wash)

Edited by Sol seaker